PDA

View Full Version : I gota wonder, how many people here actually ride?

Louis Mielke
05-07-2006, 09:56 AM
I think many people probably know what I'm saying. There are alot of people on this board who will talk 3 wheelers allday long, but when it comes to getting on the seat how many of our members will ride thier quads over thier trikes?

I ask this because reading through many posts I find lotsa little peices of evidence that there are alot of bench trike riders who by the sounds of it own a few but don't really ride them.

Now speaking for myself, I only own one fourwheeler and its exclusively for my girlfriend. There are a few people on this board who've ridden with me and I think most would say I hold my own on threewheels. I ride 3 wheels pretty much exclusivly, actaully the last time I rode a quad I felt like a fish out of water. Brapp offered me a ride on his new 450r, I hopped on and took it for a spin and I couldn't turn the darn thing and the front end felt like dead weight. I just wasnt used to it.

So I guess this thread is just to see how many people actaully ride trikes, and how many really just collect or appriciate them.

And don't get me wrong I'm not putting no one down or anything. There lotsa great reasons to not ride them. I've heard it said don't trash the trikes cause they're getting harder to repair, beat the snot out of a quad, they're dispossable. lol

So give me your oppinions and thoughts on the subject. If I had to guess I bet that only 75% of our members really ride trikes at all or as offten as they do their quad.

Billy Golightly
05-07-2006, 10:07 AM
I was just thinking about this the other day...I do ride mine. I have thing where its way more important to me that it works and functions above and beyond normal, then how good it looks.

Personally I think its a good thing that we're getting more of a collectors niche in with us. BUT, we need to make sure that we all do our part in showing up at places and riding them to get the word out too. I think its a good mix.

seadoo650
05-07-2006, 10:07 AM
I ride trikes exclusively. I don't own any quads. I know what ya mean though. But hey there is nothing wrong with the training wheel guys. LOL I personally can't bring myself to pay the 1000-2000 dollars for the extra wheel. I know one thing the four wheelers are good for.......Hauling the wife's and girlfiends. Thanks Charlie. HAHA. Also my cousin has a foreman 4x4 and is quad is very handy. Just ask mymistress250r about the Jay tool. I currenly own 2 200x's a 250r and a 350x and we ride them all.

Kintore
05-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Im in the same boat, im not going to buy a new 06 450r or a new 700 rappy like my buddys did. People here have seen my never eneding videos. I ride all trikes and am proud, I feel people are scared of trikes, and soaring her in the air is where she belongs. Not in a dusty basement, ill ride mine till im dead. I just wont spend 4000 plus on a decent quad!

BigGreenMachine
05-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Haven't been on my trike since like December. In the process of fixing a blown crank seal and bad stator coils as well as upgrading with a ported cylinder, shaved head and KX ignition. Ten days until my bro arrives with the parts and count on some race/kill stories and pics after that.

I don't mind putting around on our old workhorse Kodiak, it gets the job done. Would rather have a BR or YTM to work with though.

firehart
05-07-2006, 10:27 AM
I ride my 200x all the time. I bought the Rancher so I did not have to ride by myself. It was hard to find someone who had there own ride to go riding with. Now my son or my wife go riding with me. I have not rode the Rancher very much. Yesterday when we went out riding I noticed how much the 200x wanted to just go faster. It was hard to keep it slowed down so the Rancher could keep up. Then we we got into the rougher terrain the 200x had the harder time getting through it. It really needs lower gears. I am going to buy another low geared quad, but I am still going to ride the 200x when I go out with my friend who owns a Blaster.

My Rides
85 200x
06 Rancher

crd00
The only bikes I have ever owned myself were 3 wheelers. Ive had one dirtbike and that was an xr80 then I sold that and kept my 200m:lol: I love riding 3wheelers because they're so easy to do stuff on.All I drive is my 250sx. I will always have one :w00t:

crackshot
Heh. All I own is trikes so quads are not an option! I ride a few times a week.

redneck_09
05-07-2006, 10:32 AM
I am 15. I started riding trikes when I was 6. My dad had a 250sx. When I was 11 he sold it. Then I turned 12 and I bought my 250 big red. I ride it all the time. I also just added a 125m to my collection. I have no 4 wheelers even though I do want a warrior, but I would still ride my 3 wheeler more than the warrior:TrikesOwn

atctim
05-07-2006, 10:39 AM
I'm like Seadoo - I exclussivly ride trikes - NO QUADS!! I have never owned a quad and have no desire to own a quad. My girlfriend has put some thought into getting a quad, and I have toild her how skilled she would be on one because she has also ride trikes exclussivley. I am not sure if she would feel more safe on one of not. No bench racing or riding here - only the real thing.

Mosh
05-07-2006, 10:43 AM
i have more quads than trikes. but since i built the tri-z i have ridden that one mostly. if i want to get crazy,i break out the shee. i like all bikes. i just dont have time or money to ride them all or buy them all. i think the more you ride,2,3 or4 wheels,it will make you a better rider. but the last couple of times i had the tri-z out,i get people stopping me and wanting to check it out and i get compliments on it. i like that. it makes me feel like i am keeping a piece of history to ride.when i ride my trike,it is on a relaxed level. i am not out to trash it.but i do ride the thing too.i dont just putt around on it.but jumping from 3-4 wheels is fun. it keeps you on the ball. it is like learning all over again each time i do it.

erectordale
05-07-2006, 10:47 AM
:TrikesOwn I have lot's and lot's of three wheelers and ride them a lot. I traded off the 400ex for another trike and a lt-500 now too get the 500 sold . I really don't like the quads handling I can and will ride my trike anywhere that a quad will go and with some minor mods can out ride most on a quad Trike are a passion that will be here too the end with me!!!!!!!

KASEY
05-07-2006, 10:48 AM
i ride both ,, when the wife and kids all go out i always ride a trike, i am comfortable on both too,

peeweesp
05-07-2006, 10:49 AM
well i use to when they ran good but, now i ride my dirtbike more.

85hondaatc125m
05-07-2006, 10:53 AM
I ride my trike about everyday,I got a trike(125) and a quad(250),I ride the trike in town almsot everyday just up and down the street and down the alley because it is so quiet and small. Where the quad is 250cc's of straight pipe power and if I rode it in town cops would be there in a second.I ussually only ride my quad 1nce a week or so(not now im rebuilding it) and trike about 6 times a week.

Bryan Raffa
05-07-2006, 10:54 AM
I rode yesterday at bruces farm for 4 hrs then went to a friends mx track,there was 5 dirtbikes there 2 450r,1 426 yamis kx250,1 450 yami and they laughed when i pulled in ,said stuff like you going to ride that! OF corse i said yes! LOL, I kept up with thoes guys no problem! and passed a few, the only place they had me was the 80 jump and the high low table,but I had them through the 6 pack rithum section the corners and the doubles. after about 10 laps we stoped and they were like WOW DUDE! thats awsome!,they could not believe that I was right there the whole time! Now its stuff like that that makes me ride trikes,When i was leaveing they gave me the thumbs up and they were all talking about it so I yelled out the window OLDSCHOOL RULES! LOL

dickieg89
05-07-2006, 10:59 AM
I have a BR that I use for hauling stuff around my property, I have a dump wagon for yard work and the garden and stuff. I'm not a speed freak and my 200s is for tearing up the yard, which is plenty fast for me. I'm rebuilding a 185 as we speak and I've got an 83 BR on deck. So I mostly ride trikes as well as work on them. I own 1 quad and I bought it for my Dad who is getting up in years and still works on the family farm, We've got quite a fence to check on from the deer running through and I bought him a rancher to make work easier. I like the rancher but would rather ride my BR.

crackshot
05-07-2006, 11:14 AM
What is a BR?

scooterroo
05-07-2006, 11:18 AM
started out on two wheels back in the 70's at the ripe age of 7, went onto three wheels in the early 80's, like 82 or something, then rode my first quad in 85. i have owned all three, rode all three, bikes trikes and quads that is. have had more three wheelers then any of them, atc70, atc110, atc200x, 85 tecate, and a bigred. now i own a yamaha blaster with big bore kit, polaris scrambler 400, currently working on an 85 tecate restore, and i have my trusty 84/85 200x still to this day, all be it not running and pretty sad looking, but once the tectae is done, the x is next to get a full frame up resto on it. and oh yeah once the tecate is done, i am sure it will become my ride of choice.

Vealmonkey
05-07-2006, 11:25 AM
I have only 3 wheelers, no quads. But, in the same breath, I'm not the kind of rider who goes out looking for the biggest mudhole either. I like riding in the snow, around the yard and up and down the street, and when I'm out where my 350x is, I like to go riding in the fields and in the woods. I've never been much of a jumper or mudholer, just my personal preference, some of you all on here are much more hardcore than I am, my hats off to you. I am putting together a flattracker 110 though, should be fun!

cragster
05-07-2006, 11:31 AM
What is a BR?
big red....lol

ChrisD
05-07-2006, 11:35 AM
BR- BIG RED

I just got off my 250sx. It helped me move some shrubs around the yard today.

I also only own threewheelers. As many of you know, there is video of my bikes kickin golfcart butt all over the internet, so I do ride and ride fast.

Louis....where do you ride? Do you go to Tower City? I had a campsite there, but didn't renew it this year. I want to find somewhere less rocky. I ripped my skidplate and mounts right off my swinger up there.

thefox
05-07-2006, 12:16 PM
LOL what about those who just ride very little? Being at college most of the year I only get the summer to ride. When I do ride it is almost exclusively on a trike, the only time I ride a quad (friends TRX200SX) is when my trike is out of commission.

Dammit!
05-07-2006, 12:54 PM
I own three trikes and nothing else. The only one that gets any seat time right now is the 250R. It's my favorite and the most mechanically sound (and the fastest by a good margin). The Tri-Z and 200x will get some good seat time only when they're ready. Hopefully at least one out of those two will be done by winter.

I personally don't care much for quads. If I were to get something new I'd probably get a dirtbike.

deathman53
05-07-2006, 01:07 PM
I haven't ridden in 3 months(very bad car accident), but I normally ride my 200x and atc250r the most. My quad has been 5 months in need to sprockets and chain. I only bought the quad so I can riding at other places with my friends. I am building another quad that I plan on riding more than the other quad(and racing it). I also own a atc250r that I can't get started, 01 xr250r that is street legal, 2- 77/78 yz400's I ride my trikes the most, dirtbike, then quad. Some places don't allow trikes. I plan on riding my xr250r and 200x asap. I have to wait till july to ride, I don't want to risk my legs and arm recovering from being broken.

staceyl200
05-07-2006, 01:12 PM
I,m exclusively trikes ,, I,ve only ever owned trikes and its only recently I have been on a quad for the first time ,,petesatc,s trx450R ,, I prefer the way a trike handles !!!! I dont ride my R as much as I should but thats down to work commitments and the wife and the weather here in Wales :lol:

stacey

nouseforaname90
05-07-2006, 01:16 PM
I have 4 wheelers (350X, 250R, 250SX, Tri-Z), and my dad has two ('83 and '84 BR), and I ride all the time. On an average day, I hop on one of the 6 wheelers 3 times and ride atleast half an hour. Everytime I go outside and see the trikes just sitting there, it tempts me so much.. lol. I ride alot summer and winter.. winter is probably the most fun for me though. In summer, we use the BR's and SX for tons of yard work in the summer as well, and they help out alot because we have a pretty big yard. We have already used the BR's a ton and we've only had about a month of warm weather. We've used them to haul dirt, firewood, rocks, sand, etc. etc. We also use one of the wheelers everyday to drive down to the pond and feed the fish. Ours get a good workout! :) None of them just sit there.

topoortorideon4
05-07-2006, 01:19 PM
I dont have a quad so i cant really say, ive got a 185s and a 200m and i love them

firehart
05-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Take it easy and do what the doctors say. Your bikes are not going anywhere. I get a little wild sometimes on my 200x. I just have to kick myself and say "your not 18 anymore".

Orangecnty250r
05-07-2006, 01:29 PM
I collect them, I appreciate them, and I ride. I have been riding 20 years and the 85 Black red Tri Z is what I ride most often. Everybody I ride with has motocross or 4 wheelers. I used to race 4 wheelers for a while so I am faster on one of those.

Most recent fun was I took the Z out by myself up on the mountain trails and met up two youngin's on Banshees...I loved their oogling over the 3 wheeler. When we were ready to separate they said "Follow us"....being were we on rough rugged terrain "carved" for 4 wheelers I said "you guys wont want to wait up for me go ahead...They agreed....They took off, I decided to follow and hugged their tails the whole time.....they couldnt pull away and slowed me down.....thats a good 3 wheeled day:w00t:

But some of my wheelers will never hit the trails as long as I own them.

mean350
05-07-2006, 01:33 PM
i ride my quad for about 2 weekes out of the whole year. thats for hunitng. the reason is i cant use my 350x to haul deer out of the woods!!

Howdy
05-07-2006, 01:42 PM
I ride 3 wheelers 99.999% of the time. In fact I like 3 wheelers so much, that when we went to buy a golf cart for utility, kids, and a year trip use. I told Pickle it MUST be a 3 wheeled one. Now we have 2 of them and they both are 3 wheelers. Heck even my 1/2 car is a 3 wheeler.

Yesterday we took "The Wrecker" ( quad ) to Haspin as a back up machine. It never got unloaded.

Howdy

82300R
05-07-2006, 02:49 PM
i ride mine every chance i get, i enjoy working on them just as much as actually riding them.

edog
05-07-2006, 03:18 PM
The only ATV I have ever ridden has been a trike.I learned on a Honda 185 when I was about 12 years old.I stopped riding for about 13 years and saw one on the side of the road and bought it.I have ridden all different terrain.Whether I am going fast or going slow,I am always having fun when I ride.

HondaHarry
05-07-2006, 03:46 PM
I havent ridden my 250R in about 3 months, and before that, it sat for almost a year to the day I rode it last, that day being the day I got my 450R, I started on trikes at about 9 years old, and started on motorcyles at 8 years old. I grew up knowing the best trike to have was the ATC250R (btw I was 6 years old in 1986) I didnt really know much about the Tri-Z (my freinds dad had one it was cool, but he wouldnt let me ride it (I was 12 at the time) And I had only seen one Tecate (very very rare in these parts) Anyways, I got hooked riding with my freinds on their ATCs, and I wanted one from then on, but my parents would hear none of it, When my freind moved from their house out in the sticks to the middle of town, they pretty much quit riding thier ATCs (we went every so often) but we didnt go every chance we got like before, I was kinda bummed out, and wanted something to ride (I had a motorcycle, but wanted a trike) I asked my freind if they would sell me one of their ATCs so I could ride it at my house, but they were nervous because they knew my parents didnt like them. (it was ok for me to go riding with them because I was supervised for the most part)

So I got my freinds dad to come over and talk to my parents about it, he agreed and convinced them I was a safe rider, and I even volunteered to take an ATV safety course. (a 12 year old trying to convince his parents that he was responsible at that age is very hard to do) In the end I won, my freinds dad said they had an old ATC in their barn at the old house they moved from, and that I could "have" it. I was so happy. I talked my mother into taking me to go get it... As soon as I saw it, I knew why they left it, it was an old ATC 90, and it was in peices, front wheel was missing, pull rope was gone, engine was rebuilt though, but hadnt been re-installed. I was dissapointed but took it anyways, on the way home I remembered where another 3 wheeler was that didnt have a motor, tank, or fenders but had wheels and tires, we took a detour and found it, (it was next to a barn in feild) I walked to every house knocking on doors trying to find out who owned it, just about ready to give up and the last house someone answered and they said yes it was theirs, but they didnt want to get rid of it because their son had been injured on it, but I kept at it, and finally got them to sell it to me for 15 bucks (turns out it was a 1969 US 90, (I still have it))

So now I got home and had a truck full of old ATC parts, and figured I had enough there to build one... When my dad got home, he kinda acted like he didnt care that I got it, and said maybe me owning an ATC wasnt a good idea after all. I was mad at him. So I went out to the garage and got to work, I stayed up way late working on it, rebuilt the pull starter by myself, cleaned the carb, mounted the front wheel and axle, and all of the other misc. parts, got most of it done that night, and woke up early the next morning and kept working on it, my dad left for work and just shook his head at me and said that it would never run (he didnt know it had a rebuilt motor) I had to get a spark plug for it, and some gas, but I was broke... My mom came to the rescue and took me into town, and bought me some gas and took me to the honda dealer to get a spark plug and paid for that too. (I paid her back with my lawn mowing money the next week, she didnt want it back, but I made her take it) anyways, I got the gas in it, put the plug in it, and after 3 or 4 pulls... IT STARTED!! I ran inside got the phone, went back out to the garage and called my dad, as soon as he said "hello?" I stuck the phone behind the muffler and revved the little 90 up. He was amazed, that I got it going and said "I guess its yours now."

From then on, I said I would always like 3 wheelers, and I still do, I got out of them for a little while, (school, girls, cars, and other things) But I promised myself I would own a nice 250R one day, 3 years ago, I found one, and the addiction came back. But sometimes something new, that you can just ride and not worry about sure is nice, so I bought my 450R, I really like it, and ride it every chance I get. I'll never sell the 250R, Im building another 250r right now, and I have owned a few other trikes in the past, and will own more in the future. So, yes I admit I dont ride my trikes as much as I used to, but they were my first love and will continue to be a part of who I am. I still tell everyone that I bought the 450R to keep my 250R nice, I wasnt joking. HH :TrikesOwn

750fl
05-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Trikes are all that i ahve so yep i ride mine

Louis Mielke
05-07-2006, 04:13 PM
BR- BIG RED

I just got off my 250sx. It helped me move some shrubs around the yard today.

I also only own threewheelers. As many of you know, there is video of my bikes kickin golfcart butt all over the internet, so I do ride and ride fast.

Louis....where do you ride? Do you go to Tower City? I had a campsite there, but didn't renew it this year. I want to find somewhere less rocky. I ripped my skidplate and mounts right off my swinger up there.

I've riden tower city and rausch creek, loved rausch, TC was ok, it is very rocky. I've been to florida to ride with lonesometriz, brapp showed me around coal hill. totally crazy up there. my first experience at hill climbs. I ride alot of local farm land around my place. Did some mountian riding in Tennesse and i'm defiantly going to Trikefest this year. Hoping to suprise some people on the MX track. Not real good but I hold my own.

I'm definitly up or a day or weekend trip to go riding if you have someplace cool near by.

CuRt
05-07-2006, 04:49 PM
All I own are 3wheelers, my 84R in need of a new lower end then I'm selling it. My 85 Tri-z love that thing even if it is down right now. Looking to build something off the wall too Tri-z frame and something like a ktm300 engine or something like that.

Curt

250r'en +TCB
05-07-2006, 05:53 PM
I havm't touched my 300ex in months. 99.99% of the time I am on my R. then agian, why would you ride a 18hp quad when you could be riding a 40hp+ trike!!!! hahaha

Tri-ZNate
05-07-2006, 05:57 PM
I have 5 tikes and one quad and 9 times out of 10 im on the trikes. Hell i rode the 185s to the shooting range to work today And my buddy took the quad. I think i just like the looks I get.

ClayW
05-07-2006, 06:19 PM
I ride a trike. Thats it. Mine is too nice to ride in many places, so I just bought another one. Trail Buster 86 250ES BigRed.

patblkwell
05-07-2006, 06:52 PM
I ride, not destroy lol, both my bikes as often as I can, I don't mind getting it a little dirty, but I don't go sinking them in mudholes either. If I had a beater bike, then I wouldn't care much about that ;)

Kintore
05-07-2006, 06:57 PM
I ride 3 wheelers 99.999% of the time. In fact I like 3 wheelers so much, that when we went to buy a golf cart for utility, kids, and a year trip use. I told Pickle it MUST be a 3 wheeled one. Now we have 2 of them and they both are 3 wheelers. Heck even my 1/2 car is a 3 wheeler.

Yesterday we took "The Wrecker" ( quad ) to Haspin as a back up machine. It never got unloaded.

Howdy

That damn thingh still running? lol!

Just kidding howdy!:lol:

Troll 2
05-07-2006, 08:06 PM
i enjoy working on them just as much as actually riding them.

I agree. I really enjoy reviving junk trikes into hot-rods. Were !00% trikers here and ride them weekly. Too much fun.........................:beer

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/Trikegodtroll/1984honda250r.jpg

http://www.bmi.net/magoos/b5.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/Trikegodtroll/RRRRRR1.jpg

tri-z_250R
05-07-2006, 08:20 PM
I dont have anything to ride right now (sold some stuff) but i think the only time i ever rode a quad was today around my friends yard for about five minutes. It felt way too weird and i probably would never go for a trail ride with one. :TrikesOwn

350Xhilaration
05-07-2006, 08:23 PM
I'd ride em all if I still had them. I only have the banshee, Z400, and 350X now. The dirtbike is long gone. I love bikes, trikes and quads. You've seen pics of me riding/jumping the quad and the trike. It all depends on what mood I'm in when I decide what I want to ride.

The trike is great, but I was almost sick when I rolled the X a couple years ago and trashed the perfect OEM headlight guard, dinged the perfect tank, and gouged the near perfect plastic, front and rear.

I can't afford replacement parts that are in the same condition as what I break at today's prices. Unfortunately, I don't have the budget to support keeping a like new machine. So, I ride it from time to time. but when I have the other two to ride on that are just as much fun to me, why stick with only one kind?

200xman
05-07-2006, 08:31 PM
I currently have 13 trikes and 1 quad. The poor KFX 400 is at the back of my storage barn with a dead battery while the trikes are at my house and get wrenched on/ridden at least once a week.

TimSr
05-07-2006, 10:20 PM
Ive earned the respect of my fellow riders at one time or another on 2, 3, and 4. Exclusiveness is just depriving yourself of an awful lot of fun with a wide variety of machines.

As for the original post in this thread, do a search under "armchair racer" and youll see that I undertstand the point you make!

OldManDM
05-07-2006, 11:43 PM
I think many people probably know what I'm saying. There are alot of people on this board who will talk 3 wheelers allday long, but when it comes to getting on the seat how many of our members will ride thier quads over thier trikes?

i don`t own any quads here:TrikesOwn

Paysts
05-07-2006, 11:50 PM
Yeah, when the trike isn't apart!

86tri-z270
05-07-2006, 11:54 PM
when i first started riding my boys 250 r last year i kinda had my doubts because i heard that they were death traps ( you know moms its just something you hear) anyway after around an hour or so.... i was sold.. i put my dirtbike in the local newspaper and i bought what my friend wanted a camaro... then traded him for the tri-z i have now... since then i rode religiously... i thought if i didnt ride at least 2 times a week i was sinning..it was bad... nowadays i just ride when i can and what not and most of the time its not worth it to me to have to call all my friends with trucks to find a ride to wingate (my local riding spot) so i just meet up with my uncle jump on his 06 700 and go to town.... now i do occasionally bring the z out of retirement but as of now... not happenning

farmerc
05-08-2006, 12:10 AM
I ride every day depends on which one I want to ride got 4 of them,never been on a quad the only thing I drive that has 4 wheels is the Jeep and that goes offroad to

nimda78
05-08-2006, 03:35 AM
i ride my ytm exclusivly! unless i ride with my brother, he takes me places his new 500HO has to break a sweat to traverse, then ill ride his trusty 400 4x4 {polaris} but for the woods in my back yard, not a single newer quad would fit between these trees. i love my trike...i am a rider 100%

Russell 350X
05-08-2006, 08:20 AM
I ride alot, as long as there is gas to ride lol. I ride alot in the creek behing the house, or the miles of trails that we got here.

crackshot
05-08-2006, 11:37 AM
I think I will get a quad eventually.

farm mike
05-08-2006, 11:37 AM
I have a quad and 3 trikes. When the boys and my wife ride I take whatever doesn't a person on it. When I ride alone and get my choice I always grab my old big red! Best ride I ever had and in search of one to replace it that hasn't had the bejesus kicked outa it like mine has...

Lomax
05-08-2006, 12:13 PM
It all depends on whats running at the time for me really. I do not own a sport quad and I dont own a utility 3-wheeler so they both have there place. If I am going out to the sandbar or on fast paced trail rides then it would make little sence to use the BigBear so the 350X goes into play. When the chores come around and/or the mud is deep I use the quad. I almost never touch the 250r so It doesnt really count as A rider hardly, its just nice to have it. I guess all in all, I ride both near equally if not leaning just a touch more on the trike due to the sandbar being prime here latley
-Will

knsmodels
05-08-2006, 01:03 PM
I have only ever had a trike.....I dont get to ride as often as I used to but when I do it is on a trike.....my son (6yrs) wanted a quad until I let him try my friends 70atc and now he has a 70 of his own......I have ridden quads a handful of times and have never felt comfortable on one.......:TrikesOwn

MN250R
05-08-2006, 01:05 PM
I own 2 Trikes and 3 quads. Its more challenging to ride the trikes compared to the quads. Which make the trikes more fun!

WIkid500
05-08-2006, 02:50 PM
I own a trike and thats all. I love my ytm trimoto 200. I have rode my friends grizley, sure it goes through some crap, but I can go through as much with 3 wheels.

and I prefer 3 vs 4

except in the winter, then it's all out snowmobile!

ovhonda1
05-08-2006, 06:22 PM
QUADS = BULKY TREE SMACKERS
TRIKES RULE! I have 2 350x's, 250R and Tri-z 250 and ride every one of them every chance I get. I can't take one to ride so I load all four and end up cleaning every one of them every time.

brrcuda
05-09-2006, 09:35 AM
I never felt right on a 4 wheeler. I ride my nephews lakota 300 and im usually bored by the time i get off of it. Looked at buying a z400 and felt the front was just too bulky. I ride my trikes at least once a week on trails and sometimes up and down the road to get some aggression out.

The only problem these days is the lack of parts. I just destroyed a second bearing on the 86 tri-z and I am contemplating if i get a four wheeler for weekly rides and put the trikes up for a once a year ride/investment or show. All have new plastics and fresh motor work. I don't plan on getting rid of them no matter what. The way things are going with parts - my trikes might be put in the basement for the next 10 years to collect dust?

When i do ride with my 4 wheeler friends, they have me go first because i am usually on their rear end. Get the comment "wow - never rode these trails that fast before". lol

Paul

dovesprings250R
05-09-2006, 02:13 PM
All I ride is my 250R and sometimes my tri zinger in the backyard. I ride desert and dunes once or twice a month. I do have an extra 86 250R I don't ride much. It is my stock, clean one I would like to keep that way. It gets ridden now and then, I always take it on trips just in case. It did see some action at Glamis and Dumont recently. My wife has my old 87 kawasaki mojave she rides.

the great gazoo
05-09-2006, 05:22 PM
My SX is my 1st trike- I've ridden dirt bikes for twenty years or better, got turned on to quads 2 years ago & got a few,, when a buddy got a 200s & that did it, I had to have one. I got the SX on Ebay(got ripped BAD), it needed trans work, so the motor's in the shop & might be done in a couple more weeks(this guy is BUSY, but really honest & cool)- If the frequency & the way I ride everything I've ever owned factors in, I'm sure I'm gonna be out there on the trike many times a week, & I ride HARD!!! Love tearing it up. TGG>>>>>>>>>>>>>

willcamach
05-09-2006, 07:04 PM
i love my trikes and ride tham any chance i get. i switch off with my brother in laws whos rides are a raptor 660 and a ds650. the raptor rider loves my trike and i have to kick his *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* off whenever we switch he forgets its my trike lol. i dont mind to much cause i like the raptor and am considering getting the 700r. the ds650 i hate and never ride. but if i had to choose one ride between all of them it would be my 250r.

OZQUAD44
05-10-2006, 05:11 AM
Ride my KXT a couple of times a year, ride my yfz every second weekend

73coupe
05-10-2006, 09:22 AM
be about 2 weeks before I start riding again
only have the 200X right now may have the BigRed later today

YTM200BOY
05-10-2006, 10:22 AM
I agree WIKID my ytm200ek is all i got but soon ill add to my collection when cash flow gets good "if i get a job hopefully" Now that my bike only needs gas :lol: im riding everyday!!

AZ250R
05-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Trikes only here, but I do want a 87,88 TRX 250R someday too...
Problem is...
I've been so spoiled by Dune'n that I exclusively ride in sand now. :cool: Everything else bores me.:mad:

Big D
05-10-2006, 02:11 PM
I ride one of the quads when I have the family in tow but when I’m by myself or with my friends, especially on the ice, three is for me. Just can’t beat the rush lol.

ATCnut
05-12-2006, 12:27 AM
I only own three wheelers

If I understand the original question, it was do I ride them.

The answer is yes, I went for a ride on one of my 250sx's today as a matter of fact.

The only trikes that do not get ridden much are the 200xs, they are put away and I very seldom get them out.

rally4x4racer
05-12-2006, 12:59 AM
two wheels three wheels four - i could really care less how many wheels the motor im killing is being navigated by (as long as its not one wheel, the exception is wheelies on bikes)

i love three wheelers because they are odd - they are rare - in the sense of atvs and terrain vehicles - I dont want what the next guy has!

as far as riding goes.... i would ride a fat chick if she looked good enough. to hell with three wheelers - i would say most ppl on this board have a MOTOR FETISH

three wheelers are just another way to incorporate the " RISK high" into a smaller motor vehicle

NO COMPAINTS HERE!!

just remember, dont buy hang gliders off ebay!

CorbinKale
05-12-2006, 01:21 AM
Nothing but trikes here. I have ridden quads, but they feel so cumbersome and front-heavy to me. My favorites are the 85 350X and the 85 250ES. The BR is a very recent purchase, and I have quickly fallen for it. A smooth, powerful workhorse. The 350X is for everything else. It is rare for a single day to pass without me riding one of my trikes. I have 5, so far, and still looking for more! :lol:

3 weelin geezer
05-12-2006, 01:34 AM
Nope, I ride my atc 185S because I don't own a quad. I bought my brother one and I have ridden it around a little. It can do what my trike can do just doesnt look as cool. I like the fat tires on it that probably wouldn't fit in the quad. The only complaint I have about my trike is that no one thought of putting in a reverse gear on it. Comes in real handy when there is no room to lean on it such as the side of a cliff. Makes me feel like wile e. coyote without the little clown umbrella

trikes4life
05-12-2006, 08:37 AM
dont own anything but trikes, for now. i ride every day, it's like drugs you just get addicted.

mcgyver331
05-12-2006, 09:32 AM
I have been riding for YEARS and I love when people say I won't get on that thing like its just death wating to happen, lol. If you lean a trike up on 2 wheels it turns like a bike. I have had several trikes and love them all. I think the media has ruined a killer portion of offroading. But, nuff said TRIKES RULE. Much faster than quads, lighter and I can fit 2 of them in my mini van (1988 Plymouth Grand Voyager) Try that with a polaris 400 sportsman. Lucky you can get it and a gas can in .

I still ride trikes all the time. I just finished restoring a 1982 185s what a great trike, Put a 200s rear on it and it flys!!!

I am just about to put an engine together for a 1986 250r project, I'll rave a bit more about them after that!!!!!!!!!!!

qdmr666187
05-13-2006, 07:14 PM
4 wheelers suck thats all there is to it ! i bought an old 90 one day didnt think nothin of it i fixed that think up i liked it beter than my 4 wheeler so i sold that and got an 87 200x much faster than my quad . all i have to say is i think QUADS SUCK!!

bkipker2009
05-13-2006, 09:37 PM
i started riding when i was 6 and ride when i can mostly on quads but one day when i get the funds ill buy me a good trike and use my quad as a workhorse

mywifeknowseverything
05-13-2006, 09:44 PM
4 wheelers suck thats all there is to it ! i bought an old 90 one day didnt think nothin of it i fixed that think up i liked it beter than my 4 wheeler so i sold that and got an 87 200x much faster than my quad . all i have to say is i think QUADS SUCK!!

Another Northano.....Lets Ride!!!:cool: :welcome:

Follow KASEY around a Dune or two Some Day and Tell me that Quads Suck:crazy:

88 Turbo Coupe
05-13-2006, 10:06 PM
I would like to know who rides Tigers, you know the ones that aren't seized. LOL

hancadam
05-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Here is all we own. We don't ride to much due to lack of time and riding spots. I have never owned a quad but do like them.

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/1220/0508061554a0mk.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

InPiEcEs
05-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Up until the time I took my 250R apart, I rode the snot out of it every chance iI got.
I have been on a few quads on and off over the years, and they don't fell right to me. I started out riding dirtbikes at 8, and my R at 16 years old. I'm 32 now, so that means I've had it for 16 years. I am just now getting it back together the way it shoudl be, with as many new parts as possible. Once I get it back together, and get back in the groove again, I know there are gonna be a lotta quads that will be going home insulted. And that's if I'm half as good and crazy as I used to be on my R. I agree with what some people have said. I believe to a point that people are scared of trikes. I also think that is because they never took the time to be able to safely ride and understand them. Trikes still have a big spot in the ATV world as far as I'm concerned, and I'm gonna ride mine till I can't anymore.

El'Capitan
06-13-2006, 11:39 PM
ive been riding for about a year now. I almost exclusivly ride my 350X, ill hop on my dads SX once in a while for a change of pace....but its to slow :). i try to get out to the dunes twice a month.

Yamahauler
06-14-2006, 12:43 AM
I ride my trike to work every day, summer and winter. It's a helluva lot cheaper than the car

Yamahauler
06-14-2006, 12:57 AM
Yeah guys Yamahahauler is a hardcore dirt rider trust me he tears it up big jumps ladys love him
Who the hell are you?:crazy:

brapp
06-14-2006, 01:06 AM
either way i ride both and can back up what i say . i ride whatever runs even if it is the alt50 or the 450r or the 450 foreman or a 350x with nobrakes and a flat tire lmao

ride_red_95
06-14-2006, 01:39 AM
the 400 is mostly my moms ride

russell56443
06-14-2006, 02:51 AM
Well,for me being from a town in Florida where there was nowhere to ride and not many 3 OR 4 wheelers to be seen,I got out of rideing any kinda bike.
I moved to Minnesota 2 yrs ago and needed something to plow,pull a trailor and ride also so I got a wrecked Polaris Explorer 400/4x4 and brought it back to life.
I started rideing when I was 6 and always had a bike until about 14 yrs ago or so when I got hit one day and parked it.
I never got to own a 3 wheeler but would ride one every chance I got(usually got hurt back then,I remember one that had no brakes and you pulled a shoe string for the gas!!lol)but always wanted one!
I was looking for one in my price range(little to nothing) and finally found the Kawasaki KLT 200 I have now,I wanted a Big Red or the like but there hard to come by so I found the Kawasaki at a yard sale and so far Im in $164.00 lol!.
By the way,tomorrow will be it's maiden voyage,I finally got her running and everything working,I hope the gears shift through smooth??
Anyway,guess Im one of (The Others) for now lol.
I recently found a guy with a bunch of trikes so I hope to have a ATC 200 or something soon???

Darius1502
06-14-2006, 08:40 AM
I ride, not destroy lol, both my bikes as often as I can, I don't mind getting it a little dirty, but I don't go sinking them in mudholes either. If I had a beater bike, then I wouldn't care much about that ;)

He took the words right out of my mouth!

Of course I have been riding my KTM 550 for the last year and the trikes have been somewhat neglected!

K1500
06-14-2006, 08:57 AM
In 1987 I bought the 1986 Big Red that I currently ride. I have to admit that in 2004 I bought the wife a Honda Rubicon (500cc 4x4 quad) for working in the yard and on the farm with. I just couldn't keep beating the crap out of my Big Red. It still looks fairly nice, although nothing like the fine restorations I have seen on here or the awesome hot rods like Troll and others build. I had to rebuild the front rack and add a new seat cover this year so I think I will retire it to light yard duty and purely a play bike. I have to agree with what I read earlier in this thread, 4 wheelers are disposable, work it, toss it, get another. I had much rather drag trees with the Rubicon instead of straining the crap out of Old Red. Do I ride my trike? Every chance I get. I would have been at Trikefest this year meeting all you fine folks but I had wrist surgery on both wrists and I look like I have giant Q-tips on the ends of my arms. I will get there next year though.

atc110RED
06-14-2006, 11:29 AM
I have to admit, although i exclusivly ride a 110 atc, its because of a small budget, and i cant afford anything better. If my budget was larger, i would go for a quad, purely for the stability, power and adaptability.

Tri-Z 250
06-14-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm the guy that gets large groups together for adventure/camp rides. I always bring the Tri-Z and the 426dirtbike. Sometimes I'll bring my 81' RM465 for backup just incase. I enjoy both styles of riding alot. I feel nothing is more exciting than a 6gear power slide on 3wheels. I do find myself riding the dirtbike more due to (practice) track time. Night rides! Tri-Z only....I love night trail rides on the Z. Most of the group bring dirtbikes and a few utility quads (tow trucks). I try to give equal time to the Z and the 426 the best a father can.

TheGreg
06-14-2006, 12:48 PM
i only own a threewheeler, last year my dad had a kodiak 450 but he didnt enjoy it so he sold it. I myself own the three wheeler tho:) My friend has the 450r and he let me take that thing for a rip and i'll say it was nice but just not the same as having 3 wheels.

random-strike
06-14-2006, 01:37 PM
who cares as long as they ride and are not big fat bottom women who want to outlaw trikes.

btw, im sure most people here ride their trikes a lot, its the only thing i have, and i think they are more fun that quads.

the only thing that i think sucks, is the lack of large, i mean big ;) engines for a trike.

Darius1502
06-14-2006, 01:48 PM
fat bottom women?

Hows this...

http://216.165.194.66/ktmtalk/photogallery/galleries/members/standard.jpg

random-strike
06-14-2006, 01:52 PM
she could crush my head with her thighs and i wouldnt care

Billy Golightly
06-14-2006, 07:15 PM
Damn...I need to invite her over sometime.

crd00
06-14-2006, 07:21 PM
:eek: :naughty: :naughty: I dunno about you guys but I'm talking about the girl riding the pedal bike not the one on the right:lol:

ChrisD
06-14-2006, 08:56 PM
His shoulders look a little broad. Are you sure it's a woman?

Billy Golightly
06-14-2006, 09:50 PM
His shoulders look a little broad. Are you sure it's a woman?

:lol: After what happened at TF over the weekend I was || that close to putting the "It is a her, right?" disclaimer at the bottom of my post. Probably should have.