PDA

View Full Version : 200X Exhaut Update and advice

Turtle
03-21-2003, 11:14 AM
I posted a topic a week or so ago about removing a broken head bolt that held on the exhaust pipe. I got the non broken bolt out real easy and the exhuast removed, but couldn't budge the broken bolt. tried a torch, Liquid wrench and ez outs. Nothing worked. took it to a local shop, and they couldn't budge it. The guy says if I remove the head, he will drill out the bolt, install a helocoil and the new posts for a few bucks. If I want him to remove the head, he said I'm looking at $200+. He said If i brought the trike back after he would show me how to reset the timing in his parking lot.

So my question is, what is all invlolved in removing the head? I read my Clymer manual last night it looks relatively complicated. It says you have to remove the CAM, rocker arms, valves etc.. Any advice on this? I think I'm going to give it a shot myself and was wondering if anyone had a tips on things I should/shouldn't do.. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

nat350x
03-21-2003, 03:41 PM
I had a 85 200x that had the same problem, all I did was take the motor out and put it on a bench so you could easily work on it and drilled it out and retapped to the next size, and then put a new stud in. :D

neverfinished
03-21-2003, 11:01 PM
drill a hole about half the size of the bolt all the way through then heat it very hot and let it air cool (the hole you drilled allows it to shrink) for 5 minutes then hammer in a screwdriver (the kind that you can use a 5/16 wrench next to the handle) and screw it out. if you pull the engine, drill hole and soak with penetrating oil overnight before heating, set engine so bolt is upright and pen.oil dont run out..if you dont have penetrating oil..and old theroy is using coca-cola pop..ive seen frozen v8 engines freed up with a can of coke!!

jeswinehart
03-21-2003, 11:49 PM
my daddy said to me if you where to put a penny in a bottle of coke overnight you wouldn't find the penny the next day !

going to try it right now !

did take him up on it being a heck of a battery terminal cleaner,,, works good !

john

wanta250r
03-22-2003, 12:21 AM
I remember when I was a youngen, my mom was lecturing me one day about how coke was bad for me and would eat my stomach. lol roll so she put some coke in a bowl with some ground beef and told me" tomorrow all that ground meat will be gone" I wake up the next morning and all the beef was still their, sitting there smiling at me. lol

Turtle
03-22-2003, 09:30 AM
I'm going to pick it up this morning. I'm going to take the head off and replace everything inside I can (seals, gaskets etc..) The trike is 16 years old so I figure it can't hurt and I might as well have it running good for spring riding. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks for the advice..

BTW.. I'm going to put the old rusty head post in a glass of coke today and see what happens..

jeswinehart
03-22-2003, 09:57 AM
well i dumped out the can of cokeacola + my penny was still there looking just like last night.

now i know,,,

i think that was what what dad was trying to tell me too wanta250r.

86waterpumper
03-22-2003, 02:49 PM
HAHHAHHAH...I remember in elementary school we put a nail in a cup that had some coke in it, and it did rust it up really bad, but this took a few days, maybe a week or more.