PDA

View Full Version : 3 Questions for 250R

Fox250R
05-04-2006, 04:22 AM
First, What would cause my engine go up in rpm when i use choke at idle? Second, What would be the best air filter setup for my 38 a/s with no airbox? third and last, Is the paul turner hr pipe really the choice for my setup? I've done everything in the book and my R still wont pull 6th..Not with a 200 pound rider or a 150 pound rider ive tried them both.. Im trying to get ready for this summer!! Any thoughts would be SOOOOOO "Greatly appreciated"! Thanks for you help... :P

Erics350x
05-04-2006, 07:30 AM
air leak somewhere or low compression?

Russell 350X
05-04-2006, 08:18 AM
Sounds like you got a leaky crank seal. I would go with a K&N filter for your setup. I dont now much about pipes so idk.

SPECK
05-04-2006, 10:02 AM
Off Topic:

Why do people take off the air filter box lid/cover? Doesn't that allow dirt and debrete to enter it, which is bad?

Is there anything special you need to do, or do you just take off the cover and leave it?

Could I do it on an 86' 250sx?

Dave

Yamahondaman
05-04-2006, 10:11 AM
we cut the whole center out of the lid and put it inside panty hose,tie a knot in it and cut off the excess,,, more air-fuel....Faster

Dammit!
05-04-2006, 10:35 AM
1: Don't know and don't want to guess.

2: I never found a K&N clamp-on that didn't severely rub the frame and shock. That would eventually damage a K&N. I went with an angled Uni clamp-on. It rubbed too but being foam it isn't going to damage anything. I eventually went back to my K&N inside the airbox with no lid. The K&N's breathe better and the clamp-on was just getting dirty too quickly. Inside the airbox even without a lid does give it at least some protection.

3: Those pipes suck. I'll give you a hundred bucks for it. :D Seriously though, in sand I have a hard time pulling 6th sometimes too. With my knobbies, no problem at all. With my sand sharks I have a hard time if I'm on even the slightest of incline. I attribute it to them being 22 inches tall (despite being called a 20) and fairly heavy. I need to try out a couple different types of paddles.

dunerash
05-05-2006, 10:00 AM
I never found a K&N clamp-on that didn't severely rub the frame and shock.
Dammit- Here you go.. This is a rad valve, 39mm carb and k/n clamp on.. Fits nice and tight, no rubs.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/dunerash/100_2751.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/dunerash/100_2749.jpg

Dammit!
05-05-2006, 10:28 AM
What are you using for that tube off the carb?

I had a ESR airbox eliminator kit that used a metal tube bit didn't fit. Did you cut off one of the airbox mounts?

max
05-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Very interesting. When I start my bike with the choke on, when it fires up its like the bikes at half throttle. Drop the chock knob, and boom, perfect idle. I wouldnt want to say its low compression or a bad crank seal, because my bike freekin rips. Although, now that I think about it. My trans oil was low the other day, and I have no external leaks????? Mabey a bad crank seal wouldnt be out of the question.

I cant say im worried, cause like I said, the bike rips, and fires right up. I wouldnt be overly concerned if it idles and runs properly.

crackshot
05-05-2006, 11:45 AM
If it's suckin' gear fluid out of crankcase, your crank seals are shot.

Fox250R
05-05-2006, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the help I think i got a few ideas what to do now :)

Dammit!
05-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Somebody said in a different thread somewhere that high idle with the choke on is too big/small of a pilot jet (I can't remember if it was too big or small). When I start my R with choke on it immediately idles high but I'm pretty sure if I hit the choke when the engine is warmed up it would just stall.

ChrisD
05-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I would also like to know what tube you are running. I'm building a new ice race bike so dirt is not even a problem. The eliminator kits I have tried don't fit. I'm still using the stock intake even though I know it's not helping air flow.

Here are a couple shots (TOP SECRET....just kidding) of my intake. When this bike is done, it should be an animal on the track.

dunerash
05-06-2006, 10:16 AM
What are you using for that tube off the carb?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I would also like to know what tube you are running.
Its a piece of fueltank filler hose for a car.. ID 2-1/2" and very thin sidewall the piece of alum. is curved slightly to point it back toward the center of the bike.
Yep had to loose one of the airbox brackets.. This wouldnt work when I was running a spacer plate.