PDA

View Full Version : Tri Moto 125 hard to start. Please help.

atc4everbob
05-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Hey guys. I just bought a Yamaha Tri Moto 125 in good condition. It was a barn find and was stored for 15 years there. I got it home, rewound the broken pull rope, pulled the carb, soaked it in cleaner overnight, completely dismantled it and cleaned each component, and reassembled it. I also pulled the tank and flushed it out. Once started the bike runs absolutely perfect now, but is a real beotch to start. Choke is working. About every 2-3 pulls it backfires and jerks the rope right out of my hand. It's getting excellent spark. New spark plug. After pulling it 10-15 times I can pull the plug out and it's not oversoaked. Today I pulled the baffle off to be sure it's not a clogged baffle. No change. I really don't think it's a carb issue because it cleaned up very nicely and now runs perfectly. I was told to change the rings but it seems to have good compression. I don't have a compression tester. It fires right up when pull starting it with my Big Red. The backfiring just adds insult to injury. I have blood blisters on my hand to prove it. I would very much appreciate some feedback on this from you wheeler heads here. Thanks in advance. Looking forward to TF06. I can be reached at: bob_litzinger@hill-rom.com

Unclediezel
05-02-2006, 09:18 PM
The "DRAG-STARTING" is usually a key to low compression or a weak spark. dragging it with another vehicle will spin the motor faster than possible with the rope and provides more intense spark. Since the rope was broken when you got the trike--its likely the previous owner had the same trouble.---Compression test is the next logical step.They are real cheap---possibly you can rent one---or take it over to one of the old timers at the local auto repair shop----The guy will probably test it for you for a Cup of coffee.

atc4everbob
05-02-2006, 09:59 PM
Ok, I'm leaning towards at least a new set of rings and gaskets, maybe more. But first I do need to check the compression. Does anyone know what a good compression psi is for the Tri Moto 125? I have no clue and don't know where to look. Again, any help would be appreciated.

Erics350x
05-02-2006, 11:33 PM
sounds like it has compression to be kicking back. have you tried checking the timing,fly wheel key, and putting in a new plug. also check the intake boot for leaks.