PDA

View Full Version : pull start cord won't go back in

3Dwheeler
05-01-2006, 04:14 PM
hello i have a 1982 Honda 200. i recently changed the corde on the pull start and chainged the gasket for the assembly.

I just tightning the bolts by hand. when i pull the cord it does not go back in.
if i take it off and just pull on it in my hands every thing works great. it seams that as soon as there is pressure on the decompressor spring it stops it from working. any clues as to what i may have done wrong???
the gasket is the same tickness as the other so i know its not that.

thanks for your sugestions.

Erics350x
05-01-2006, 10:47 PM
sounds like the spring isnt wound tight enough.

atc4everbob
05-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Yeah, it sounds like it may not be wound tight enough. With the assembly off the bike, there should be quite a bit of spring resistance when you pull the rope. If there is very little resistance, try winding the spring a little tighter. You'll know if it gets too tight because the spring will stop it before the rope is fully extended. Also, something may be binding when you install the recoil assembly. Get some Dykem dye or even a permanent marker and color the rope spool with it. Then try to pull it through a few times. Remove the recoil assembly and check for rub on the spool. It will now be obvious if it's rubbing somewhere it shouldn't be because the dye or marker will be worn off in the area that's rubbing. Hope this helps.

crackshot
05-02-2006, 08:33 PM
What I do is wind the recoil all the way until it stops, back it off a turn then wedge a screwdriver between housing and recoil pulley. I then thread rope through, put a knot in it and remove screwdriver. It pulls rope in, cut to length and put handle on. (this is off the trike BTW)