PDA

View Full Version : How to tighten a chain

adamcostello31
05-01-2006, 02:47 PM
I dont no how to tighten my chain on my 1983 250r.....does anyone know how to??

ATCWRENCH
05-01-2006, 03:12 PM
if you look at your swing arm where the axle goes through you will notice on the inside of either the brake rotor or sprocket you will see teeth/grooves that wrap all the way around the bearing carrier. now the two bolts that hold the carrier tight on the back of the swinger need to be loosened up so the carrier can rotate. get a spanner wrench from your local atv dealer and use it to adjust your chain. once your chain is adjusted, retighten the two bolts on the back of the swing arm and you are good to go.

Chevy200s
05-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Hey, I just did the chain on my R a few weeks ago.

Instead of using a regular chain tensioner like on most dirt bikes, Honda used an eccentric bearing carrier inside the swing arm. They did that so that when it was rotated, the chain could be tightened and loosened.

If you look at your swing arm, you can see stubby looking things sticking out on the right hand side. You need to get a spanner wrench to go over them and then pull on it to rotate the carrier. I used a yamaha wrench and it worked fine.

First you have to loosen the 2 hex bolts the hold the carrier in place. They are on the back end of the swing arm. Then you have to loosen the actual carrier itself.

if your trike is anything like mine, then this is something that hasnt been touched or loosened in 20+ years, so dont just go crankin on it you may break something. Soak the outer side in wd40 to loosen it, then take it slow.

After I did those things mine went well, and its nice to not have the chain fall off now everytime after I do some powerslides:cool: everyone else let me know if I left anything out. Good luck dude

ClayW
05-01-2006, 03:15 PM
I would think that its like a 350X. If you look at the rear of the swingarm front he back of the bike, where the axle goes thru. On the left side there should be a colar with some teeth sticking up that goes all the way around. If you turn that piece one way it should tighten. You may have to use a screw driver to tap it around. This will take the slack out, unless the chain is shot.

Chevy200s
05-01-2006, 03:16 PM
lol, beat my about 2 minutes ATCWRENCH.:lol:

adamcostello31
05-01-2006, 04:32 PM
ok thanks people.....i'll try it soon

nate b
05-01-2006, 06:59 PM
I put mine on blocks, fire it up, put it in gear and tighten the chain so you can just fit your finger around the rear sprocket. otherwise the other methods work as well.

crd00
05-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Its some hard tightening the chain on a 250r compared to a 250sx or a big red:lol:

crackshot
05-01-2006, 09:28 PM
I put mine on blocks, fire it up, put it in gear and tighten the chain so you can just fit your finger around the rear sprocket. otherwise the other methods work as well.

Argh. Did you ever check out the thread on losing fingers? :lol:
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=49736&highlight=finger