PDA

View Full Version : 85 200X motor issue

coolatc
05-01-2006, 09:45 AM
I have a 1985 200X that is all stock. When the motor is cold, I can put the choke in the center position and it'll fire right up. I usually have to stay on the throttle to keep it idling until warm. I then turn the choke off and it'll run and idle great for about 10-15 minutes.

My issue is after 15 minutes when the motor is fully warmed up it does not want to idle, Also when it dies, it is rather hard to start when the motor is warm. This makes no sense to me as my experience has been cold engines are harder to strat than warm engines. Has anyone else had this problem?

ATCWRENCH
05-01-2006, 09:57 AM
the next time your start it up cold or warm dont matter, take some WD-40 spray the intake boot while its running. if the engine makes any noise change at all your intake boot is toast and your have an air leak

xman23
05-01-2006, 08:58 PM
mine kinda does the dame thing, damm thing pisses me off, it runs perfect, mine always starts right up tho but ive like tried to turn the idle up but it will idle for a little while then it will die after like 15 seconds of idling, but ive messed witht the screw and turned it up but i dont know

atc4everbob
05-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Try checking your valves also. A buddy of mine swears the 200x is very finicky when it comes to valve adjustment. He says the exhaust valve in particular. He works at a Honda dealership and says people bring in 200x bikes all the time because they either won't cold start or quit after warmed up. In most cases, it's a 5-10 fix for the mechanics. The poor customer still gets slapped with a $65 bill. Bunch of crap. I do also agree with the WD40 trick on the intake. Works great. Good luck.