PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke pipe-dent removal

DixiePlowboy
03-20-2003, 05:13 PM
Has anyone had any luck at removing dents or dings from a 2 stroke pipe? I got a Paul Turner chrome Hi-Rev for my '85R thrown in for free(!) when I bought my short track tank kit, but it has a couple of minor dings in it. I'm running it anyway with good results, but would like to remove the dings.
I've considered filling it with water, capping it off tightly, and freezing it repeatedly until it's right. I've heard of another method of filling it with compressed air and heating the dents with a torch.
What works best?

Mobular
03-20-2003, 10:30 PM
1) weld a small nail to the center of the dent, heat dent with torch and pull out dent.
2) cut pipe thru center of the dent, hammer out dent and weld back together.

tony_250r
03-20-2003, 11:46 PM
If you use the water trick make sure to keep checking on it, if you don't, it will split the pipe open. You don't need to seal it that good either or use that much water.

Rod
03-20-2003, 11:51 PM
Tryu these guys. They are right by me & do great work. Check out the before & after. If you got the pipe for free then $40 mbucks ain't bad I don't think.
http://www.piperepair.com/

DixiePlowboy
03-21-2003, 05:52 AM
Well, I was planning to do it myself. After seeing the results of the place Rod suggested, I believe I'll let them do it. If I come out with $50- or so bucks in a $320+ pipe, that's still a deal.
Thanks yall.

YTZ250N
03-22-2003, 04:52 PM
at work we use two small clamp type fittings and close off the ends and put about 50psi in the pipe and then just heat the dent, works real good.
I think you could get the fittings off the net and do it yourself and then charge your buddies 25 bucks to pop their dents :)

Joe Dirt
03-23-2003, 11:07 PM
DING KING!
Ive never actually done it myself but a few of my buddies say it works perfect. If you think about it if it pops dents out of a car why not a pipe?
I think some stores sell em for 20 bucks. Good Luck