PDA

View Full Version : ICE RACER: the plan of attack!

250r'en +TCB
04-30-2006, 06:02 PM
I have decided to build an ice racer ATC310R. To give you a rough idea I am basicly planning on doing much of the same as the ice racer picture below from home.comcast.net/ ~atc330rrider/homepage.htm but adding serveral features from the missile engineering flat tracker...http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/ATCteen/iceracer.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/ATCteen/flattracker.jpg
I am going to get a set of the nerf bars from missile (john kite) and the rear strut, both bolt on's. This machine will have NO suspension in the rear, low profile....
Engine: eccono 310kit from ESR ported for mid range. 38mm Mikuni carb. DG pipe and my pro circuit 304 silencer for top end speed...
Tires: CHENG SHIN C-826 18"-9.5"-8" , don't know what I'll use for studs yet I'll have to ask around.
steering: I'm waiting for Missile to send me info on stuff they used to do instead of buying the complete HRC kit ($$$:eek: :cry: ) I'll update this thread after that... I already have the ST tank and shrouds on the machine anyway....
sprockets: right now it's stock (13F, 39R right??) Anyone think I should change it??? Keep in mind I'll be racing mid sized tracks....
Axle: I'm thinking I'll just put 2 spacers on the right wheel and none (or the smallest possible) on the left. Agian share your opinions.
Price estimate:
Nerfs: 100
rear strut: 75
310 kit: $800
tires: 65
rims(used): 50
studs: 35?
veneted # plate: 35

Kintore
04-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Devin, get a PT high rev pipe or a ESR. Doing this will unlock alot more power. Do a search, DG aint the best!

250r'en +TCB
04-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Yeah I know, but you gotta acess your priorities!! All this crap cost money!! lol Eventually I'll get an ESR pipe, but they are like $200+..... Anybody want to sponser me? I have room on my machine for stickers!!! hahaha

BigGreenMachine
04-30-2006, 06:40 PM
I don't like the zero suspension travel idea for the rear. Tracks get rough and no suspension equals wheels bouncing and losing contact/traction with the track.

Have your rear shock shortened and setup by a professional.

If your going to go to a shorter rear tire then go to a larger front sprocket to regain your top speed.

250r'en +TCB
04-30-2006, 09:06 PM
I guess I'll have to see through trial and error. Just have to find what works for me...

Vealmonkey
04-30-2006, 09:13 PM
If you find out what size go kart wheels and tires for the missle flat tracker, that would be cool. I know they used some kind of go kart wheels, I'm just not sure what size. I'm building a flattrack 110.

250r'en +TCB
04-30-2006, 09:14 PM
I will let you know either tomorrow or the next day when i get the info on it, I plan to scan and post it all!!!

3leggeddog
04-30-2006, 09:33 PM
i would say you deffinitly want to get a lowering link for the rear shock.i agree that you will bounce,and lose traction,as well as rack yourself on the tank.

skippy
05-01-2006, 07:27 PM
talk w chris d from baltimore on here..thats his 250r and he is really big into ice racing!

sandpuppi101
05-01-2006, 09:16 PM
I have a couple of years in with iceracing my '85 R. It was alot of trial and error ,and talking to fellow iceracers before I was even close to competing!! But it sure is fun!! Those R's are some nice setups!! You have a nice R also!!!

ChrisD
05-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Trust me, you will want suspension. I tied my rear suspension down for a couple weeks and learned my lession. You will want travel in you suspension. Ice tracks get rough and you will want some give.

The "Missile" kits from back in the day are cool, but I will not go without suspension. If you look at the picture carefully, it has the HRC kit on it, which you have. The only thing that they have is the go kart wheels. Whatever.....I would, and am getting a 10" Douglas wheel for my front tire so I can run a TRX 20" front tire. However, you will not need a custom, expensive as hell, tire and rim kit to lower your bike enough to race the golfcarts. I can lower my bike that much with the Durablue rear strut and removing the small front springs (I bought and run the '85 2 spring setup)

The reason they had the "nerf bars" was for AMA. You can't race AMA anyway, so why carry the extra weight on the bike.

TIRES TIRES AND MOTOR will win you most races. The HRC kit will win you a couple more. Having a bike that LOOKS cool and a functional bike that wins races are two different things.

PM me with your email and I will tell you more.

Cheers
ChrisD

trikezilla
05-02-2006, 09:32 PM
Ill sponsor you if you let me race it...or at least a few hot laps...lol

But seriously though, that sounds like a killer project and good luck ;)