PDA

View Full Version : need some quick help! 82' 185s

83185s
04-29-2006, 11:25 AM
my 185s will not start! its getting a bright big blue spark cause it has a new stator coil on it, its getting gas and i also sprayed ether in it..all it does is backfire..im 95% positive its in time because ive messed with it about 5 times and all the arrows align...i was supposed to sell it last weekend but couldnt get it going and he said just let him know when it does...and i really need some money right now so any help is greatly appreciated... in time, getting gas, getting spark.. all it does is backfire, new plug also

Somekindofjerk
04-29-2006, 11:30 AM
Try flipping the pulser coil flywheel behind the CDI cover! Its probably just 180 out.

83185s
04-29-2006, 11:39 AM
well in the manual it said line it up with a dot on the plate so i did that, now correct me if im wrong but when the piston and cam are lined up at tdc that pulser should be facing the top left ..it is right now..i was gonna try that but it slipped my mind..ive been so busy trying to fix the tiller and lawnmower cause my parents keep naggin i cant get anything i need to get goin done...thanks tho i will do that here in a bit...i gotta go to walmart now though

Somekindofjerk
04-29-2006, 11:50 AM
when you installed the cam you had the lobes down right? if they were up your 180 out and you have to flip the rotar.

83185s
04-29-2006, 01:56 PM
yea the lobes were down..i flipped the roter and it didnt even backfire...the timing is dead in and i flipped the rotor back around and it backfired...starting fluid is the only thing it will do it on though...gas wont make it do anything..its kinda startin to p/o me...im tired of screwin around with it and not getting anything out of it..i tried pullin it down the road and still nothing...timing is correct, getting gas, getting blue big spark...why wont it run?! its getting good compression too...

Somekindofjerk
04-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Try advancing and retarding the timing a little bit at a time to see if you can get better results. If not, check your valve lash. What collor is the spark?

83185s
05-01-2006, 10:30 PM
the spark is bright blue and pretty big..the valve clearance is set at .002 or 2 thousanths or somethin like that..everything is checking out fine it just wont run..im not sure whats wrong..im prolly gonna take it to the shop tomarrow and have them look at it because i cant figure it out and now the guy is getting on me for not haveing it done