PDA

View Full Version : 86 t3 tank cover and axle ???

200x Basket
03-19-2003, 10:11 PM
when can i find one? my tank looks like sh*^.

what are my options for an axle in the 86? will a t4 axle fit? can you get any aftermarket axles?

can you get an aftermarket 85 axle?

BTW i got my 86 t3 running. the pipe was stopped up how and the hell does that happen? i took two days to figure it out and then it was on accident. i had pulled the pipe to look at the power valves and swap on the kx ignition (thought the new ricky stator was bad). kicked it one time with the pipe off and it fired right off. killed it, put it all back together and it would not start. thought about it for a while and took the pipe off to look at the power valves. kicked it over and it ran great. took and put my other 86 pipe on it and it runs great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks
chris

JohnR.
03-22-2003, 12:03 PM
I found my axle on e-bay. I think it may actually be for a T-4 but it fit right in. I am pretty sure an '85 one will fit too but you'll have to get the hubs with it since the '85 had a different spline on the axle but the same bolt pattern on the hubs so you can use your stock wheels. I have seen some tank covers on e-bay. If you check out the 350x ones I think the place that makes them will make you a Tecate one, that is what I am going to do when we "restify" my '86 this spring. Dura Blue's web site shows a listing for the T-4 in the eliminator series that adjusts from +4 to +6 and I am willing to bet that will fit the T-3 as well.

John

200x Basket
03-22-2003, 12:05 PM
the 85 axle will not fit the 86 carrier. i am running a 85 axle with a 85 carrier right now. the 85 axle is not as beefy as the 86 but it is as wide.

JohnR.
03-22-2003, 12:28 PM
Well, I would say that since you can't buy a new aftermarket axle for the '85 anyway I would find some place that stocks the T-4 axle and see what there return ploicy is so if it doesn't fit you can return it. The reason I think that mine is from a T-4 is because I went to put the axle and carrier on my stock arm as a unit (they came like that with a cal-fab arm off of e-bay) everything went well except when I went to hook up the brakes the caliper brackets are back further and further apart so I had to take the whole thing apart again and install my stock '86 carrier with the new axle. Since you said that the '85 axle is skinnier I would guess that the carrier I got on ebay is a t-4 or a '87 t-3 set up. If you need me to take any measurements let me know but I am pretty sure the t-4 axle will slide right in.

John

200x Basket
03-22-2003, 12:35 PM
cool. i will look into it. do you have a 86 t3 axle to compare to?

GreenBoy
03-22-2003, 04:42 PM
The T4 axle and the ī85 T3 axle will not fit the ī86 T3,
that what I can say at least about the DuraBlue stuff.I talked to the boss
of DuraBlue and he told me that this parts wonīt work.
I offer extended axles for the ī86 T3,made from heat treated chromoly steel and mirror finish chromed.Since this parts are custom and only on request one axle costs about 400$+shipping.
The guy that sells the tank covers on eBay is dpw2930.
Hope this helps
Hagen

Jeb
03-24-2003, 03:18 PM
Tecate4 uses an eccentric chain adjuster, similar to a 250r's. So the carriers can most definitly not be used on an 86 Tecate 3 wheeler. If i remember right the bearings and seals are the same as an 86 Tecate 3 Wheeler, so the axle should slide in. but I believe where you run into problems is the width of the spline areas and the sprocket and disc carriers. This is info passed on to me as personally, i've never tried it.

JohnR, can you post a close up pic of the mystery carrier you have and maybe I can help identify it.

One other option for an axle is a Mojave. They run the same carrier bearings as the 86/87 3 wheeler also. I'm not sure about the carrier design as I don't know if Mojave's had eccentric adjuster like the Tecate4 or the pivot type like the Tecate 3 wheeler.

I had a stopped up 86 Tecate pipe once too. I bought it from ebay, slapped it on the tecate and it started right up but the trike would not even move in first gear and you could barely hear it running. I noticed no exhaust coming out of the muffler. I pulled the muffler, started it, and still no exhaust or much sound coming out of the end of the pipe. I pulled the pipe and it started and ran fine. we put some compressed air to the stinger end of the pipe and lo and behold, blew a big-@$$ rats nest out of the header. :shock: Slapped it back on and she once again screamed. :-D

GreenBoy
03-24-2003, 03:28 PM
The Mojave axle will not work on the T3, I have one here and it definitely will not work !!!!

Jeb
03-24-2003, 03:37 PM
Thanks Green, :-D So Mojave is not an option either. :( What about it doesn't work?

GreenBoy
03-24-2003, 04:38 PM
OMG Jeb, why did I know that you would ask this question :-)
I donīt remember exactly but I think the distance between the splines and the bearing seats on the Mojave axle was wider than on the T3 axle.
Thatīs why I made my own axles.
Later buddy

JohnR.
03-25-2003, 08:48 PM
Jeb, I'll try and get a pic over to you. I am going to start a job at a different dealership this week so I have all of my stuff that I accumulated over the past 3 years boxed up. When I come across it I'll snap a pic. It looks EXACTLY like my '86 T-3 set up except the mounts for the brake bracket have a wider bolt spacing and they appear to sit the caliper at more of a rearward position.

John

Jeb
03-26-2003, 10:28 AM
That may be an 87 Tecate 3-Wheeler carrier. The 87 had the parking brake, so the caliper & carrier is definitely different between the 86 & 87. These images are from buykawasaki.com.

Hope this helps!

JohnR.
03-27-2003, 10:59 AM
You da man, Jeb. That must be what it is. I wonder what happened to the rest of the trike? An '87 would be sweet!!

John

Jeb
03-28-2003, 12:26 PM
Yeah JohnR, I'd like to know about the rest of it. When i was emailing back and forth with the gal while that auction was running I asked her a couple times about the rest of that trike. she never told me, only said if they found another she'd let me know. I figured it might be an old race trike, since the CAL-FAB arm and extended axle is so rare today. I was hoping to score some other 80s racing parts cheap (since they obviously had no clue what they had) such as Mitchell aluminum wheels, 85 Tecate front tire set up, lowered forks & schock, UFO plastics like screen number plate, airbox cover, disc/fork guards, radiator shrouds, etc. perhaps a worked motor, bassani exhaust system, omf skid plate. Hey, one mans junk is another mans treasure!! :-D