PDA

View Full Version : the new '86 tri-z

jchx99
04-22-2006, 12:19 AM
whats up everyone,

Here's my newly-acquired '86 yamaha Tri-Z that I traded my almost-restored 250SX to my friend for. It came with a complete motor, but its basically only good as a parts engine, so I'm getting another motor. Not an 86 motor but that will come soon enough. As for cosmetics and completeness it's almost all there, down to the taillight. Sure, its missing a few things but not too much. The rear fenders are that ugly blue right now because of the previous owner(s), but some paint thinner takes care of that, I just gotta take the time to do it... the airbox cover was the same color, and paint thinner made it a decent black again. The tires came off my atc110, theyre barely used sur-traks on ITP rims which had both 3 and 4 over 100 bolt pattern, so that worked out nicely. So basically with a motor, some easy cosmetic work and cleanup, brake pads and some rear bearings this thing should be real nice... I'll post my progress as I go along... later,

Jordan Hinze

twgranger
04-22-2006, 09:09 AM
That looks like a 85 1/2 Z to me. Its a nice roller though.

Bryan Raffa
04-22-2006, 09:19 AM
finally a picture looks like shes all there, still think you should switch the gears in your bottom end into that new motor your going to want 5 gear! you will be kicking yourself in the butt after you ride it if you dont. good luck on your tri z, take your time and do it right and you wont be dissapointed!

jchx99
04-22-2006, 11:48 AM
thanks for the comments,

I dont think its an 85 1/2 model... the vin/serial number on the frame is an 86 and has the 86 noise emissions sticker on it... it also has the different overflow bottle location and red headlight instead of black. I doubt those are original plastics, I think someone bought aftermarket ones OR got them from a parts bike because the bike had a non-matching '85 engine in it when I got it. They tried painting part of the headlight but like I said all this paint comes off pretty easy with paint thinner.

And yes, I'm going to probably do that gear swap Bryan, its just gonna be a matter of time... that is unless I find an '86 bottom end sooner! But yeah, I'm definitely gonna do a good job on this bike..

thanks guys , keep em comin...

Jordan Hinze