PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug color after ride.

TravEX
04-20-2006, 08:24 PM
I did a plug chop before I left on the ride (about 15-20 minutes) and the plug looked ok, light brown color at the base of the ceramic. These are pics after the ride. The dark brown/black part that covers the bottom half of the ceramic (in the pic) eventually works it's way to the tip and fouls after that. Is this normal for the plug to wear like this?

BR8ES

Clean air filter.

Thanks

Travis

Darius1502
04-21-2006, 01:03 AM
We need better picture of the plug. Too hard to read.

TravEX
04-21-2006, 08:44 AM
sorry, hehe, my hands are not as steady as they used to be. Maybe these are better.

Somekindofjerk
04-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Try changing your ratio to 40:1

adamcostello31
04-21-2006, 09:58 AM
i mix my aircooled r 40:1

Darius1502
04-21-2006, 01:26 PM
Hey still get closer!!

Tell me what kind of plug is that? The insulator sticks way out...strange.

Your plug should be tan/brown at all throttle ranges. This means 1/4 throttle, 1/2 throttle and 3/4 to wide open throttle.

Do some plug chops. Do a search on that area because its talked about here quite a bit.

Here is a picture of what a plug should look like:

http://www.dansmc.com/spnorm.jpg

TravEX
04-21-2006, 05:46 PM
I cut the threads off the plug, BR8ES

Why would richening up the ratio help when it's running good as it is? The trike runs fine on it, and alot use 50:1 here, and the previous owner used it.

I understand plug chops and the like, but is that a pic of what a plug should look like all the time that it's there or just after a plug chop?

I can't get closer with this camara. What I was trying to show is that the black climbs the plug the longer it's ran and eventually fouls, and I'm wondering if that's normal.

Thanks

Travis

TravEX
04-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Here is a picture of what a plug should look like:

http://www.dansmc.com/spnorm.jpg

I understand that, but what does the base of the electrode look like? That's where you need to look when doing a plug chop. Not enough time to get color to the tip.

TimSr
04-21-2006, 09:32 PM
It is normal for the plug to have more buildup the farther you get away from where it fires. Less heat means more buildup. If it eventually climbs all the way up and frequently fouls the plug you are on the rich side. Since it seems to take some length of time for it to happen I would suspect that its not happening during wide open runnning, and can probably be corrected by raising the needle clip, and lowering the needle. I always run the needle lean as two strokes tend to load up when trail riding, and leaning the needle wont affect my wide open runs on the MX track. Another bandaid I used to use was to siemply run a B7ES on trails, and op in a B8ES for track riding.

DONT MESS WITH YOU GAS OIL MIX. First off, you carb to your mixture, not mix to your carburation. 2nd, ADDING MORE OIL TO YOUR GAS MAKES A FOULING PROBLEM WORSE! Why, oh why do people keep making this suggestion????

TravEX
04-21-2006, 11:16 PM
LOL!

Thanks for the info Tim. Since those pics I raised the needle clip (yesterday). I'm slowly learning the carb to your mixture approach. Do you think it's still rich? I think I have a 38 pilot and a 142 and 140 main. Should I try that?

Thanks a bunch!

Travis

200xcellent
04-22-2006, 09:33 AM
I think it looks pretty good. How long does it take for it to foul out? If you are a bit on the rich side clean your air filter more often. With the real heat of summer coming up though it may be nessecary to lean out a bit.

TimSr
04-22-2006, 10:28 AM
I think it looks pretty good. How long does it take for it to foul out?

I should have asked this question too. Your settings are all in the ballpark. Ive never had to change a pilot for simple external modifications. I think I ended up with a 140 or 145 on my R (TRX), but I cant remember for sure. I think the needle was at the lowest or 2nd lowest setting.

I dont know how you ride, so another common problem that is hard to guage on a message board is how well you keep it revved up and cleaned out. This does not mean riding FAST. It means keeping RPMs up. A lot of guys like to gear up so they can say their bike will do 80mph and then cruise the trails at low rpm slipping the clutch the whole way. You should be able to clean it out in low gear on a reglar basis.

TravEX
04-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I've been running leaner for a while since it warmed up. I'll clean the air filter. It takes about an hour for it to foul.

Tim, I've thought about it, and I should probably just run (try) a 7 all the time. All my WOT riding is just an occasional drag race and joy riding.

Thanks

TravEX
04-22-2006, 10:37 AM
I should have asked this question too. Your settings are all in the ballpark. Ive never had to change a pilot for simple external modifications. I think I ended up with a 140 or 145 on my R (TRX), but I cant remember for sure. I think the needle was at the lowest or 2nd lowest setting.

I dont know how you ride, so another common problem that is hard to guage on a message board is how well you keep it revved up and cleaned out. This does not mean riding FAST. It means keeping RPMs up. A lot of guys like to gear up so they can say their bike will do 80mph and then cruise the trails at low rpm slipping the clutch the whole way. You should be able to clean it out in low gear on a reglar basis.

No, guage away, hehe. I try to keep it cleaned out, but sometimes when riding farm roads and stuff I probably do ride a gear high to keep the noise down. I need a new silencer too. The gearing is stock.

I now have the needle at the lowest setting (1st clip), and I'll probably go a main lower and try that.

Tim, do you run 50:1?

I'll try better to keep it cleaned out, hehe. All my riding buddies have thumpers, and like to poke around in the woods and trails, lol.

Thanks alot for your help.

TravEX
05-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Tim, I left the jetting alone (1st clip, 42, 145). I ran a BR7ES on my 3-4 hour ride yesterday, and it REALLY felt better. No loading up, good starting and running, and the plug lasted the whole ride, lol. Checked the plug out this morning and it light brown, good color. All my riding is 'trail' riding, no full out WOT racing. Can I run a BR7ES all the time, year round? Will the hotter plug hurt anything in the long run?

Thanks for all your help,

Travis