PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Screws

Joe Dirt
03-18-2003, 09:51 PM
Hey everyone im going to be taking of my handlebars to get new ones and before i start i thought id ask so i can save some cussing. Anyone have any suggestions on taking of the brake handles since the screws are so rusted. It looks like the owner before tryed and tore up one of the screws pretty bad.

Turtle
03-18-2003, 10:02 PM
I just dealt with some rusty header bolts. I found that dousing them in Liquid Wrench a few times a day for a few days really helps. Also any heat you can apply would be good. m I'm not sure about applying a torch around teh break though..

Trikeaholic
03-18-2003, 10:06 PM
if said this about 1000 times, go get a LEFT HAND SPIRAL drill bit and start drilling on it, it will back right out. every time ive tried it, it works. go to your local industrial supply store, like fastenal.

skippy
03-18-2003, 11:42 PM
yepper,.. sears just came out w a set of these wonderful things holic... just as you prech about.. they work great! havent found a screw they cant get out.. surely worth it.. also bought a set for stripped out nutzz!

J.D.
03-19-2003, 12:33 AM
Would these "magical" "left hand spiral drillbits" work well on a head bolt broke off into a cylinder? I'm trying to keep from going to a machine shop with my rebuild here but if I can find something good soon I'll have to bring the cylinder to the shop and have the bolt drilled out. Aye Aye Aye.

Dan Tenn
03-19-2003, 09:56 AM
Just a bit of advice for easy outs, and spiral bits. You want to spend the $$$ on the good ones, dont buy the cheapest ones you can find. If you end up breaking one of these, it will cause more problems than when you started. I agree, the left hand spiral bits work awesome, but get the good ones.

J.D.
03-19-2003, 11:33 AM
I see. Who makes the best easyouts?

Joe Dirt
03-20-2003, 09:59 PM
yes what company makes these easy outs or spiral bits? How much do they usually cost?

skippy
03-20-2003, 10:23 PM
i know sears sells a set for like $15.. includes about 3-4 pieces!

BigReds Forever
03-27-2003, 09:10 PM
i just broke some head cover bolts too, my dad bought a snap-on kit with 4 left hand bits and 4 easy outs. kinda spendy though