PDA

View Full Version : 85 r jetting help...please help

DeePa
04-19-2006, 07:41 PM
I am playing with jets on my 85r. The rebuild kit i bought had main jet 142 and pilot 52. The manual calls for 145 main and 50 something for the pilot.

I bought 145, 148, 150 and 55 pilot jet sizes.

I threw the 55 pilot and 145 main in there, and it seemed to run better. It seemed to rev up quicker from idle to full throttle.

The mods to the bike are k&n air filter, air box cover with 10 holes drilled in it, aftermarket pipe and silencer (i know the silencer is fmf, dunno bout the pipe.) Also have boysen power reeds...the yellow ones...

Should i go to a 148 main and see what happens? I did a plug chop at idle, and it was black. Not soaked in gas, but black. I also didnt foul any plugs after the jet change. I did a full throttle plug chop with the 142, and it was a light tanish color, and i thought it should have been darker. With the 145 it seems to be a blackish color, and it could have been because i didnt use a new plug or i didnt hold it wide open while riding long enough before pulling the clutch and killing the motor.

Can anyone suggest what I should do?

Leave it at the 55 and 145 and ride the piss out of it over the weekend? It seemed to run better at full throttle today, it didnt break up at all...like it was starving for gas like it used to.

SHoudl i throw a 148 in and see what happens?

According to the manual...stock jetting form 22-105 deg f is 142 main and 2nd groove...so i am above that now so maybe im ok. I know i need to rejet somewhat because of the mods.

Thanks, and any help is much appreciated...

Mike

DeePa
04-20-2006, 02:01 AM
can someone help me out here, i am working on the bike tomorrow morning and dont have much time to get it set to ride in PA.

thanks,
Mike

Dammit!
04-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Riding and plug chops are the only way to know. The 55 pilot sounds big to me but I have never used one of those round slide carbs. I think I have a 52 in my 38mm PWK.

250rAL
04-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Riding and plug chops are the only way to know. The 55 pilot sounds big to me but I have never used one of those round slide carbs. I think I have a 52 in my 38mm PWK.

I've got a 62 in my 36PJ.