PDA

View Full Version : key slot shot

Banage
04-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Well my boy lost the only key to my 83 200e, and when a screwdriver shatterd the key slot i had to go get him and the trike and tow it home. Now with no key slot, i cant even get it started. and one know whitch wires to put together ( as if the key were on) so i can start and ride my trike

ATCnut
04-19-2006, 12:32 AM
If you just disconnect all the wires to the switch, the engine will be controlled by the kill switch. You can use the pull starter (I think a 200e has a pull starter as well as the electric starter) and it will run.

I just checked, and I do have a wiring diagram. The Black and Dark Green wires are for killing the motor. Connecting them together will stop the motor from running.

There is a Red wire and a Red wire with a White stripe. Connecting those two together will make the lights and the electric starter work.

The bottom line is you can replace the key with a toggle switch for the Red wire and the Red with a White stripe wire. Leave the Black and the Dark Green alone, use the kill switch to stop the motor.

Rex Karz
04-19-2006, 03:46 AM
The funny thing is, by simply disconnecting the switch the trike will run ! The key switch is simply a shorting switch to kill the engine.

Red250HondainCO
08-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Was looking for a post like this. I bought my 250 1985 Big Red used a short time ago and they had lost the key and hot wired it so I can kick start it. But I don't have the luxury of the nuetral light or the head lights. I'd like to just put a toggle switch on where the key use to be? Any ideas of the best way to hook it back up? I just don't think I need to spend the money for a whole new key unit.

Tri-Z Pilot
08-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Yeah the ignition is a ground type kill switch, unhookinh them will start the machine (use to unhook my blaster ignition when dad took the key, he he).
Go to an advanced auto or something where you can get a cluster of light up toggles. One to unground the killswitch, one for reverse light, one for nuetral light, and one to engage starter/lights.
Prob about a $10 fix. I had a setup of 4 like that in my one mustang.

Red250HondainCO
08-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Super, thanks, I still have the light board on there with the reverse and nuetral light. I wish I was home so I can look at the hotwire set up to know what wires are twisted together. I think there are 2 sets of wires twisted together. Right now all I have to do is set the red switch on the left to "running", put it in nuetral and kick start it. Without spending a $100 or whatever. I was wondering if someone knew which wires go where so I could add a little off/on toggle switch where the key switch was and then be able to use the lights and electric start?

Lord Letto 20
08-30-2011, 03:58 PM
I Just want to put in here for People that's interested that i've seen Key switches at Canadian Tire here for like $14 Canadian, Not to sure how it works or fits but it might work as a cheap replacement for people that need a key switch instead of hotwireing it, maybe check with the dealership also to find what the cost is for a new OEM Key switch if you could still get them.

oscarmayer
08-30-2011, 10:23 PM
for the love of all good thigns Trike related, don.t hack it!!!!!
Go online on ebay and find another switch. they come up all the time with a key!

tri again
08-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Was looking for a post like this. I bought my 250 1985 Big Red used a short time ago and they had lost the key and hot wired it so I can kick start it. But I don't have the luxury of the nuetral light or the head lights. I'd like to just put a toggle switch on where the key use to be? Any ideas of the best way to hook it back up? I just don't think I need to spend the money for a whole new key unit.

yeah, just leave all 4 ignition key switch wires disconnected and it will kickstart and the reverse light , neutral light and headlights will work when it's running.

ad use the kill sw to , well, shut it off.
I have at least 2 like that and don't care to buy keys switches for 50$ each.

ps - there are free shop manuals inthe 'world class help' section on here.
I have a regular household light switch on one of mine, mostly to freak out my friends but it's also been working for years.

Red250HondainCO
08-31-2011, 03:03 PM
thanks, I only paid $500 for the whole thing. It runs great, putting new/used tires on it and replacing fluids. I am not going to be using it for trail or harder use, just pulling easy things around the acreage. So it doesn't make sense "for me" to spend $50 for something that already works. I was just hoping for a work around that was economic to get the lights and electric start going?

tri again
08-31-2011, 07:34 PM
How about a couple toggle switches with those rocket ship flip up covers over them?

That would look cool.You know there are free manuals with wire diagrams on the 'world class help'
section, right?

Get an old key switch from a jumkyard and mount it somewhere obvious.
You wouldn't even have to hook it up to keep people from riding your trike.
If they see the ignition without the key, it might just stop them from trying.

Jon Boy
08-31-2011, 08:49 PM
the toggles with the flip up cover is what my buddy was trying to get me to use on my 125. :lol:
mine was stolen and had the key ignition hacked out, so for the time being i stuck a cheap toggle in it my buddy had laying around. starts with switch on or off just flip the switch on if i want to use the elec starter, lights and/or dash light.
will agree with drjoe, even a key switch from a junkyard is better than nothing and it might just make someone think twice.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc394/jonboy327/IMG_3772.jpg

tri again
09-01-2011, 11:45 AM
thanks, I only paid $500 for the whole thing. It runs great, putting new/used tires on it and replacing fluids. I am not going to be using it for trail or harder use, just pulling easy things around the acreage. So it doesn't make sense "for me" to spend $50 for something that already works. I was just hoping for a work around that was economic to get the lights and electric start going?

All kidding aside, If you can get to the wire diagrams, you'll see that they run with nothing.
In other words, the only real circuitry is to kill them.
There really is no "ON". in manual/kickstart mode. Just lack of 'off'.

Now with electric start, 12 volts is provided by the key switch and eventually arrives at the starter motor.
(which can be hit with jumpercables from a car battery right to the starter itself btw)

ok, 12 volts from the ignition switch lights up the neutral light IF it's in neutral and the neutral safety switch is working.
which tells the starter button that it's ok to send 12 volts thru the solenoid and to the starter.
Push button spins the starter and that's pretty much it. but the kill switch is independent so that need to be not 'off' too.

Tri-Z Pilot
09-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Thats why I said about the four light up toggles they light up when power is supplied, and they come in all diffent colors. One to turn off killswitch, green lights up for nuetral, red for reverse, and one to supply power to the starter button. Like I said mine was a 4 block, would be perfect.