PDA

View Full Version : Awww... crap. How to fix this?

Dammit!
04-18-2006, 01:15 AM
Any brainstormers wanna help me out with a way to fix these things so they don't spin? It's not leaking (amazingly) but I had a hell of a time getting that top one off. :mad:

wanta250r
04-18-2006, 01:33 AM
Maybe you can squirt some plastic/JB Weld around it?

Dammit!
04-18-2006, 01:35 AM
JB Weld was my first thought. I know it will bond to the metal but not sure about the plastic. I may need to (carefully) cut some notches in the plastic so it has something to grab on to.

HondaHarry
04-18-2006, 01:52 AM
try this... get an old spoon or butterknife or something and a propane torch, heat it (the tool you decide to use, not the tank!!! hehe) until it gets hot enough to melt the plastic and push the melted plastic back in around the insert, you may even need to find an old peice of plastic to melt for a little bit of extra material, it may turn black, but if you take your time and go slow it wont. (I have a bunch of old busted up honda plastics for just this reason)
sand it smooth with some sand paper and buff with some fine steel wool and youre done. HH

RideRed250R
04-18-2006, 01:56 AM
hey Doug, just Apoxi it.... get your self some industrial grade apoxi, and apply it till you fill the holes around the metal and then your good!!!
Adam

Dammit!
04-18-2006, 03:13 AM
Would epoxy be better than JB Weld?

I love JB Weld. I've fixed all kinds of crap with it that you wouldn't expect it to work on.

RideRed250R
04-18-2006, 03:16 AM
epoxy (sorry for my HORRIBLE spelling) would work better on that, jb weld, is Metal to metal, or patching metal, epoxy is more of a filler material...
Adam

OZQUAD44
04-18-2006, 04:20 AM
I had a similar problem with my tecate tank. You were lucky to get the bolt out.

In my case i spun the bolt and nut with a drill until they both seperated from the plastic, they got hot and just pulled out. Then i soldered on some tabs "little wings" to the nut.

Then I heated the nut "complete with tabs" and pushed the nut back into the plastic. put some epoxy in the gaps around the nut. No more problems!

ScottZJ
04-18-2006, 07:14 AM
I used a super strong super glue and it works great. You could also use a plastic welder and fill in the back area with extra plastic.

nate b
04-18-2006, 07:47 AM
get some good epoxy

Erics350x
04-18-2006, 08:33 AM
Go to a auto parts store. they carry a product for fixing rubber and plastic bumpers, very strong stuff. i know napa has it.

Mobular
04-18-2006, 09:42 AM
And once you get the nuts fixed back into the tank, use a bit of Never-Sieze on the threads to keep it from ever happening again.

Dammit!
04-18-2006, 04:05 PM
I just picked up some stuff called PC7. I went to a auto body paint/supplies store for some of that epoxy and the guy told me to get this stuff instead because nothing else will bond with polypropelene (sp?). Anybody ever used it before?

Dammit!
04-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Well so far I'm not impressed with this PC7 stuff. I used it on a junk tank as a test. Still soft after a few hours. Scraps right off the plastic too. Says it cures overnight so we'll see I guess. JB Weld would be hard as a rock by now.

BigGreenMachine
04-18-2006, 09:27 PM
That PC7 stuff blows! I have a tube of it and its absolutely useless.

James

Dammit!
04-18-2006, 09:31 PM
NAPA didn't have the 3M bumper repair epoxy. They sent me to the auto body supplies place and the guy there recommended this PC7 junk.

Where can you get the 3M stuff? Any major retailers carry it?

If I don't have it fixed by thursday evening, the brand new black OEM tank is going on... :twisted:

short4stuff
04-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Just use JB weld.. its crazy stuff.. It will work... Stop messing around :p

Dammit!
04-18-2006, 09:33 PM
I think I'm going to strip another one on the junk tank on purpose so I can test Old Faithful (JB Weld). :lol:

short4stuff
04-18-2006, 09:37 PM
ha ha yeah..
But really how would it not work? Say for some reason it doesnt stick to the plastic and only to the metal.. as long as you fill the hole.. it isnt going to spin anymore... probably solved... I am pretty sure it will stick to the plastic though . but incase it doesn't make sure you pack the jb in the hole good.

DeePa
04-18-2006, 10:35 PM
get some marine tex...I used it to fix my headlight case on my 250r. I tacked all of the plastic together with some worthless super glue. then used the marine tex over all of the tacked spots, sanded it all smooth after it was dry, painted it and it looks great.

Marine tex will bond to anything. The best part is that you can sand it afterwards if needed. I really think its the way to go. Its cheap at like 13 bucks for a good amount.

Ive used it on the headlight shell, on my worn rear axle on my 200s to keep the hubs nice and tight, and to fix a pinhole in my pipe on my 250r. Its really great stuff.

Mike

Dammit!
04-19-2006, 12:58 AM
ha ha yeah..
But really how would it not work? Say for some reason it doesnt stick to the plastic and only to the metal.. as long as you fill the hole.. it isnt going to spin anymore... probably solved... I am pretty sure it will stick to the plastic though . but incase it doesn't make sure you pack the jb in the hole good.

Well, if it bonds to the metal and not the plastic, it's essentially just making that square metal piece into a round metal piece if you think about it. The hole in the tank that used to be square is more or less round now so there's nothing for it to catch on. I'd like to get it right on the first try because if whatever I use does not work, I'd have to get it all out before trying something else.

Ordo
04-19-2006, 01:30 AM
Just go to walmart and get you some plastic weld. It's a two part epoxy in a syringe. Located in hardware with the other epoxies and glues.

Dammit!
04-19-2006, 10:22 AM
The PC7 and JB Weld failed miserably on the test tank.

DeePa
04-19-2006, 02:46 PM
seriously, try marine tex.

Im positive itll work. If it can hold my headlight shell together like its brand new, it can hold that stupid little nut in there.

Mike

Billy Golightly
04-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Theres a certain type of Loctite brand clear super glue, cant remember the name of it but check around. Tiny bottle is about $10, but it'll hold like 8-9k psi and it DOES stick to plastic. I know, I've used it before.

HELLONWHEELS
04-19-2006, 03:44 PM
I dont know about where your from but here There is JB plastic weld out..I used it tp hold to gether a hesd light bucket and then fliped the bike end over end and smashed the fromt fender but the bucket stayed pretty good

RideRed250R
04-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Doug use epoxy, its made for that, jb weld and PCHIT7 are out of there element... GOOD LUCK
Adam

ATCnut
04-19-2006, 10:18 PM
I would try a plastic welder. Pull the nut out of the hole, clean the hole up, then weld the nut back in.

Erics350x
04-19-2006, 10:41 PM
try a local body shop, they'll have the good bumper repair stuff.

Dammit!
04-20-2006, 01:25 AM
Here's an idea. Screw that old tank! :mad: :lol: :welcome:

Out with the old. In with the new. :naughty: