PDA

View Full Version : Tri-z Questions

CuRt
04-18-2006, 12:22 AM
Hey guys, giving up on my R, guy at work has a 85 tri-z he never rides anymore. Said he would sell it to me for $700, just had crank bearings seals, clutch all sorts of stuff put in it. Thing that puzzles me he said when he bought it guy had a stroker or long rod kit put in it some big cc, it has a jug spacer on it, flatslide carb, dg pipe and silencer new rear tires, pretty good looking.
I never learned about the yammys are they pretty good? seem like a good deal but been sitting for 2 years rings locked to the jug has a brand new rear axle, bearing carrier, tons of extra parts to go with it. Yammy guys calling on you? this a good deal?

Thanks
Curtis

Billy Golightly
04-18-2006, 12:43 AM
Get some pictures of that cylinder setup...I want to see it. Definetly worth the $700

jsimonh
04-18-2006, 08:18 AM
700 don't sound to bad, but :pics: would sure help us decide;) .

Bryan Raffa
04-18-2006, 09:25 PM
buy that bad boy!!!!!! got pics?

travis712
04-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Buy the price & description, it sounds easily worth the $700. Hell, probably double that dude. Pick it up! Whats wrong with your R? :(

Tyler
04-19-2006, 02:24 AM
Gawd I miss myZ!! I remember Klemm Research offered a 350cc kit for Tri-Z's . It came with a pipe and silencer a different jug fully ported a carb and some other parts. It made a real killer Z. Dirt Wheels tested a kit on an 85 with a +6 swingarm and some paddle tires. I don't remember anyone else offering a big bore kit for the Z's in those years It's been a long time since I played with them . Thanks for the memories!

CuRt
04-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Well guys its here, definatly has a jug spacer on it. Tearing it down tonight top base gasket is pushed out so might be blown up not just from sitting. What it has, flat slide carb, DG pipe and silencer, looks like the 490rod kit, lower end was just gone through, new bearing carrier, axle, rear tires, comes with another engine, axle, bearing carrier, tires. I need to find a thumb throttle for it never cared for twist throttles. I will keep you guys posted on it
My R needs a lower end then I will sell it. Pics of the Z soon.

Curtis

CuRt
04-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Hey guys, good news going to be able to get away with honing the cylinder and reringing it, but I have some more questions.
Go with Yamaha gaskets I know with my 250r cometic base gaskets suck and this one top base gasket was pushed out too going to rough the spacer plate up so it grips better.
Boost bottles mine has a hose and a bolt anybody have one? I seen they are discontinued Help.
Fuel pumps well mines missing its pump, anybody have one know where I can get one or something.

Thanks Guys
Curtis

CuRt
04-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Wow is all I can say that thing screams puts the old R to shame. I ended up getting a boost bottle for it so got that, fuel pump he gave that to me at work. The place I get all my stuff from still remembers them well, might be able to help you guys that want the long rod kit I highly recommend it.

Curtis

Bryan Raffa
04-29-2006, 05:54 PM
:pics: :pics: :pics: :pics: :pics:

BigGreenMachine
04-29-2006, 06:19 PM
Yeah get some pics. Were all skeptical nags until we see pics of what your talking about.

CuRt
05-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Hey guys, I have some questions kinda getting pissed here.
1 Anybody else have the DG pipe? theres 3 spring holes on the pipe but only 2 spots for them leaky pipe isn't good.
2 Good gaskets? Yamaha? I have a Cometic for one base gasket and rest Versh(spelling) my Cometic base gasket had a bubble come out yesterday when I fired it up and I noticed the coolant recovery tank was just bubbling so head gasket is leaking too. On assembly I did rough the surface with my special 50grit gasket removing disk so its not like it was poor preperation I rode it retqed everything too.

Curtis

Bryan Raffa
05-04-2006, 08:04 PM
2 springs come off the loop on the cylinder and the other comes off the left front jug bolt bracket
Ive run both and never had a problem but vesrah is better!, jug nuts I dont tork I crank them right down real tight! by hand,havent had one go yet in over 10 years.

CuRt
05-04-2006, 09:41 PM
The lower one is there a bracket that goes on that stud? if so I am going to have to order one. Got other issues now too loosing lots of coolant and pushing bubbles in the radiatior, :mad: when it warms up always pushes coolant out of the overflow line too so I'm at a lose on that one sounds like head gasket to me but everything is tight and its not leaking out of the head and its a Vesrah gasket too :crazy:.

Curtis

Bryan Raffa
05-04-2006, 09:55 PM
YES I made one out of alum. pretty easy, dam that sux get a top end set and try it again..and i have had really good luck with them .. when you have your head off check the surfaces to make shure there flat...when you pull the head off go slow & try to pull off the gaskit nicely so maybe you can see where it was leaking..