PDA

View Full Version : opinions needed on my 86 200s

turboaddict
04-15-2006, 10:23 PM
i just picked up this trike to keep my tri-z company..... it was free and the guy said it ran 4 years ago, and after a 6 hour round trip it was in my garage...... that was the fun part! so i start getting it ready to try and fire up , and the motor is locked up solid after pulling the plug i found that water had gotten into the cylinder and was still in there after he had left it sitting. some penetrant got the cylinder moving again and then some tranny fluid helped me clean out the rust. however i still cant get it to cough or sputter. it has decent compression by feel, however my compression guage isnt the right size to tell how much it is................... is this thing screwed, or is there hope that this will actually fire up?:rolleyes: thanks in advance!

hancadam
04-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Sounds screwed if water was in the cylinder for 4 years.

Vealmonkey
04-15-2006, 10:55 PM
It could fire, have you checked for spark at the plug or tried to put some starting fluid in it?

turboaddict
04-15-2006, 10:59 PM
yeah it has spark and i tried starting fluid......... i dont think it was in there that long prolly like 2 weeks since he uncovered it and took a pic for me

MTS
04-15-2006, 11:05 PM
Clean the carb out good?

turboaddict
04-15-2006, 11:27 PM
yep but still i would think with a shot of starting fluid it should cough, looking down in the cylinder it looks pretty good only some dark spots where the piston was, mybe ill try a new plug, could be fouled

turboaddict
04-16-2006, 12:09 AM
okay i know whats wrong........ no i just need a short cut to fix it... the intake valve was slightly open when it was sitting, hence it rusted and isnt sealing well enough now ..... anybody got a suggestion other than pulling the head?

cragster
04-16-2006, 12:26 AM
i got a free 200s that sat for a while... i pulled it with a quad and shifted into 1st and started up and wouldnt stop lol. Squirt some gas in the spark plug hole and have someone pull ya......

Erics350x
04-16-2006, 12:55 AM
I would pull the head anyway the rings are probably froze to the piston.

mrfixit63740
04-16-2006, 05:24 AM
I would pull the head anyway the rings are probably froze to the piston.

I agree, I know its not a trike but I just had the same problem with a honda NC50 scooter I traded from a lady. Got the jug off after P.B. Blaster penetrant and some beating and prying. I got all the rust out same as you and cleaned everything up and put it all back together. I had spark, fuel, oil, air, and what I thought was decent compression and still not even a cough! After wondering for awhile i realised had to be a compression problem.
I took the plug out and stuck my finger in the hole and it had just enough to push my finger. So again I tore it apart and noticed the rings didn't budge. Anyway, I got some rings and went to change them and had to beat them out with a small screwdriver and a hammer. I could only get the bottom one changed but the top one was still out enough to get some compression. The bottom one was flush with the skirt. They were both frozen solid but just changing the one worked started on first crank! I figure the top one will loosen up after running for awhile, I hope! I agree with the frozen ring idea. Better safe thatn sorry go ahead and rebuild the top end if you can. That's got to be it if you have everything else! Good luck man!

Erics350x
04-16-2006, 08:26 AM
You can get them loose by tapping them with a small piece of wood working your way around them. Then clean the rings with 400 wet/dry sandpaper. Use the edge of a ring to clean the ring grooves in the piston. I had to do this to my 350x. It had set for years with the plug out, worked great no smoke good compression. Also you should hit the cylinder with the sandpaper.