PDA

View Full Version : 86 200x Overheating?

hancadam
04-15-2006, 02:39 PM
This question is for my cousins 86 200x. He was out riding today and his 200x started to sputter and and backfire heavily all the sudden. This machine is very nice and has always ran great. He was riding hard, but only for 20 to 30 minutes when this happened. He said it acted like it was overheating. He checked hi oil and gas, both where fine. His airfilter is new. He also noticed the engine starting to leak oil from the topend. It has never leaked since he has had. He has no valve ticking or any kind of noise from the engine. Well he let it cool down for a few minutes and drove it back home. It was still running very poorly and with low power. Also it was not smoking from the exhaust, but he said the engine was very very hot. Where he rides at is a flat construction area. No hill climbing or anything like that. I know he keeps it very clean, so his cooling fins should not be dirty. Any ideas on what could be going on. I have never heard of this all the sudden happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

firefirefire90
04-15-2006, 02:42 PM
did he blow his head gasket? That could explain the leaky oil and the sputtering could be that the air fuel mixture is now off. Just a thought, even if his trike has been runing so well for so long, something like this would eventually happen.

hancadam
04-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Thats kinda what I thought. But he said it is leaking above the head gasket.

hancadam
04-15-2006, 04:58 PM
I talked to him again, he said it runs ok after it sat for a couple of hours. Still not like it use to though. What could cause overheating all the sudden?

xman23
04-15-2006, 08:10 PM
it may be running to lean? mabe re jet it

hancadam
04-15-2006, 08:56 PM
I doubt that since it was running just fine before. Thanks for the reply though.

scooterroo
04-16-2006, 10:29 AM
only thing above the head gasket would be the valve caps right? check the orings on them, they might leak some. but that wouldnt cause it to run bad unless the valves were wacked out of adjustment. check the timing in it, i used to have problems with my 200x's cdi box, make my machine run like dog___. just a suggestion.

Erics350x
04-16-2006, 04:04 PM
maybe a clogged oil passage caused it to overheat melting o-rings, warping valves, ect. I'd check the spark plug for signs.

travis712
04-16-2006, 11:21 PM
It shouldn't overheat like that regardless. I weigh 230, ride an 86 200x, and ride hours on end in ~85-90* weather. LMK what happened to it.