PDA

View Full Version : tecate engine questions

reknelb
04-14-2006, 08:08 PM
OK, I just got this engine off E bay. The thing is pretty much toast. There was oil behind the water pump cover. Would that just be from a bad seal behind the water pump impellor? The crank bearings feel tight, there is no play what so ever. Can I put new crank seals in with out splitting the bottom end cases? Where's the best place to have a cylinder bored and plated? Thanks.

MyMistress86R
04-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Calling all T3 owners!!! Help this guy out. I know you're out there...

darrel632
04-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Its a nickasel sleeve in the cylinder so boring is out of the question, ususally you can just re-ring if its bad change the sleeve, you may be able to get away with a new water pump seal, depends on what risks you want to take on running a motor which may or may not transfer antifreeze oil What condition was your oil in? Antifreeze? was there anything in it when you got it? did you take the right side cover off, any signs of water / antifreeze damage? Did you take the head off to see if the rings / sleeve have any damage?

reknelb
04-19-2006, 05:41 PM
I dont believe these engines are sleeved. The cylinder is bored (alum.) then nyckisil plated instead of steel sleeved. I ended up splitting the cases and am going to do a complete rebuild on the engine. The gearbox oil didnt look bad, no anti freeze in it. But there was oil behind the water pump/impellor cover. It wasnt full, maybe a tablespoons worth. There were no gaskets in the engine at all. No head, base, or side cover gaskets. right side crank bearing and seal were just starting to go. There was a titch of play, and a little engine oil in the bottom end.