PDA

View Full Version : 350x spongy front brakes

DeePa
04-14-2006, 10:11 AM
When i replaced my front brake line and pads on my 350x the lever was perfectly firm. When i was riding, i squeezed it and it got soft, but firms up after a few pulls. I tried bleeding the brakes all day yesterday to no avail.

When i pull the handle in, fluid squirts out of the resevior. Is this right? I already ordered a master cylinder rebuild kit off of ebay just incase so i can still go riding in PA next weekend.

How do you rebuild a master cylinder?

I searched on here but really didnt find any answers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

ATCWRENCH
04-14-2006, 11:34 AM
so far every ATC master cylinder I have re built are pretty much the same.

once it is off of the handle bars and the lever is off look at the piston contact point. you will notice a rubber boot around it, take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull on it gently until it comes off. if new one is sent with the rebuild kit then it doesnt matter, give'r hell.

once that is out of the way you will notice a snap ring. long thin snap ring pliers will make this part amazingly simple. if you dont have access to snap ring pliers, ice picks work but it takes 2 people to do it. one to hold the ice picks and pull the ring in and the other to lift up on the piston to get it out. same thing with the ring pliers, once the ring is compressed you should be able to lift up on the piston and get it and the ring out at the same time.

watch out for the return spring and dont loose it.

now once all the is done clean it until you are blue in the face, go drink a beer and then clean it again. when you are ready to go back together coat the new piston and the cylinder with brake fluid so everything will slide together smoothly. put the snap ring in. slide the rubber boot over the piston and make sure it is secured in its position. put the rezzy back on, put it on the handle bars, bleed the system and you are done.

DeePa
04-14-2006, 05:20 PM
ok cool, doesnt seem too hard. I already have a rebuild kit coming, so i dont have to clean that much, just the rezzy.

THanks,
Mike

Erics350x
04-14-2006, 11:04 PM
As for the sponginess feeling try using dot 4 fluid. Also could be the brake line is to soft.Was it a new or used line?

DeePa
04-15-2006, 02:34 AM
the brake line is a stainless line