PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak from recoil.

Bunyan
04-11-2006, 09:39 AM
I havn't dug into the machine yet as I just bought it. Its a 200es. The guy I bought from said that some water has gotten into the rewind this winter. When I got the wheeler home it seems aparent that it is oil. Is there seal or gasket that this type of leak would point to? Something that will be an easy fix? I searched the forum, but so far no luck and I'd like to have it fixed by this weekend.

Mobular
04-11-2006, 10:00 AM
Sounds like the seal behind the pullstart pulley is bad. It seals between the side case and shaft.

bigredhead
04-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Usually it's just water that gets in there from the rope hole.. i have not seen or heard of many with a leaky seal behind that pull start....

Drain it ( remove the bottom bolts of the pull start ) and check your oil level in the tranny.... take it for a short ride and monitor the level of oil in the tranny etc....

Is it low now ?

edit: to correct horrible spelling errors...:wondering

Bunyan
04-11-2006, 10:10 AM
It is low now. And the recoil discharge is oil. I managed to find this thread on here: http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=17227&highlight=200es+recoil
Looks like my problem could be the same. Now, if its as easy as the guy makes it sound..............Any special tools needed for getting to the oil seal? Thanks.

Mobular
04-11-2006, 07:55 PM
Never have had to replace one, just have had experience with one of those seals weeping a bit, but not bad enough to replace. Good luck!