PDA

View Full Version : help a newbie, 1984 yamaha 200,

BingDawg
04-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Hello, i recently purchased a 1984 yamaha 200. I have gotten it two start twice and that was 4 months ago. Now it wont start unless i pull start with another 3/4 wheeler or a vehicle. It has an electric start and i put a new battery in it and it just makes a noise like its trying to turn over but it wont turn over. I can use the pull cable to start it either as that does almost nothing but make a little ( bluh bluh bluh) noise. ALSO, the throttle sometimes goes crazy and acts as if it were being pushed down ALL THE WAY when im not even pushing it down at all or just a little this only happens at times though. This is a very old machine and i am sure needs some upkeep but i have no clue where to start and simply want to ride it:Bounce
Thanks, im 16 and really want this to turn out good for me

Yamahauler
04-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Hey, I would start by cleaning the carb and replacing the spark plug. The pilot jet in your carb could be clogged causing it to be hard to start. Also, if you have access to a compression tester, get one and see how much compression the cylinder has.

As for the full throttle problem, it could be your cable sticking or the slide sticking in the carb.

Good luck

BingDawg
04-10-2006, 08:45 PM
what is the "pilot jet"?
and as for the cable sticking or the slide sticking what do i do to make that not happen?

Yamahauler
04-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Its in the carb, to get to it, You have to take the carb off of the bike and loosen and remove the 4 bolts that hold the float bowl on, then you will see a post in the middle with a hole in it, thats the main jet, the pilot jet is a smaller post right beside it.

crd00
04-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Hey, I would start by cleaning the carb and replacing the spark plug. The pilot jet in your carb could be clogged causing it to be hard to start. Also, if you have access to a compression tester, get one and see how much compression the cylinder has.

As for the full throttle problem, it could be your cable sticking or the slide sticking in the carb.

Good luck

I totally agree with yamahahauler, cleaning out the carb will more than likely fix your problem.

Huffa
04-10-2006, 09:16 PM
The VERY 1st thing you should do is get a owners manual for it. It's very time consuming sometimes to explain things with no pic's but with having pictures right in front of you you have conqured 1/2 the learning battle + the maual will answer a large percentage of your ?'s.

Like for instance..........#24 on here...........
http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/assets/schematics/Yamaha/YA4886_14.gif

..........is the pilot jet. Click on pic to enlarge. Your manual will have this exact same pic.

Not that members mind expalining things but a manual should be your 1st step.

Don't start taking anything apart that your not sure about, most likely it won't go back together right or you'll break it trying :(

Till you get a manual use bike bandit do veiw the schematics! :beer

1st thing I would do is check for spark by grounding plug to head and pulkling the pull cord and if you have that then spray a bit of carb cleaner (NOT MUCH!) in SP hole, install plug and give it a pull. If it even tries to start then you know it's carb related. You can spay it thru throat of carb too, with airbox off and can actually keep it running by small squirts as it starts to die.

Check the fuel petcock also before cleaning carb out. For all we know though, your whole carb, bowl and jets may be all gunked up!

Yamahauler
04-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Not that members mind expalining things but a manual should be your 1st step.

I agree...Best, most useful tool you can get