PDA

View Full Version : need some help on my 84 tecate

tecate kid
04-09-2006, 03:08 AM
I just bought a 1984 Tecate about a month ago, I have decided to go with a thumb throttle instead of the factory twist. I heard somone on hear say they had a Honda one on their machine, they made it sound like an easy swap, well it not:( The cable input on the thumb is bigger then my cable, also the cable is to long for the thumb to work. I need to know if I could use the cable from the Honda which does NOT have the carb top on it in my stock carb? Now my next question is how does the rear brake go togther? I bought pads for it, but the back of the package doesn't say anything about 1984, just 85-86? Will these work? Also a good pic of how they go together, would be real helpful also. I don't have much more for questions right now.
Thanks guys,
Joe

Erics350x
04-09-2006, 09:20 AM
find a cable from a old kx dirt bike

BigGreenMachine
04-09-2006, 01:53 PM
What Honda housing are you using? I'm pretty sure you can use the Honda cable on the Tecate just as long as the cable end is a plain end and not a T type end. Make sense?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/BigGreenMachine/E_3_REAR_BRAKE__84_A1_small.gif

tecate kid
04-10-2006, 02:08 AM
Heres a link to the auction, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4625339455&category=6755 It should show you what I am using, and what is a T type??? This one has a threaded end on it by the carb. The brake shoe doesn't fit in the slides on the piece with the pins? I really need a good pic of some ones actual rear brake setup so I can see how it goes together. I saw the one you posted on bikebandit.com and it really doesn't help don't show it together??? I now have one more question, how can I get my shifter to quit slipping on the shaft? The shaft on the motor is in really bad shape, most of the splines are flat and I can't get a good file in there to "fix" them. I was thinking if the shaft is going to need replacing n/eways could I just drill a small hole and put a roll pin in it and crank the bolt really tight? I could use some input.
Thanks,
Joe

BigGreenMachine
04-10-2006, 06:02 PM
Drill a hole and pinning the shaft will do for a temp fix. To change the shaft isn't that hard and DOES NOT require the cases to be split. The brake I don't have a pic of but I'll try and get one up for you tomorrow.

The throttle cable from the R I'm almost sure won't work on the Tecate carb as the end for the slide in the carb is wrong. Maybe a 86 ATC 250R cable would fit the bill.

tecate kid
04-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Hey thanks guys, I figured the shifter shaft will get replaced ASAP, but I want to ride itnow not in a couple months:rolleyes: I would really like to know more about how to replace the shaft without splitting the cases:cool: That was my biggest fear. The pics of the brakes will help a bunch also! Now for the throttle, should I just get rid of the one I have and find one the will work perfectly? If so what should I look for? I did grind the Honda off the top and repainted it gloss black, so anyone want it? The cable is in pretty good shape also. Thanks, again guys,
Joe

BigGreenMachine
04-10-2006, 08:43 PM
I hear the cable from the Tecate works in a 200X thumb throttle.

tecate kid
04-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Do you know for sure? I don't want to spend more $$$ and still not have a thumb:( I know I could make somthing to adapt the Teacte cable to the Honda throttle but I am afraid it would possible stick, and it may look stupid. Anyone that did this have a pic and parts list of what they used?
Joe

BigGreenMachine
04-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Tecatemantodd used a 200X throttle on his 85 T3

BigGreenMachine
04-11-2006, 12:25 AM
Used the stock T3 cable. As well, ATCWrench used a Tecate 4 thumb throttle on his, cable and everything.

tecate kid
04-11-2006, 12:53 AM
Ok, I have been hearing that Honda used the same one on all the machines, I am not trying to be a dink by doubting you, but I heard somone say "buy the 250r one and it works great" so I did and now I am here trying to get this sorted out:confused: I found a Mojave throttle and cable on Ebay and was wondering if that would work? And I am still looking for info on switching out the shift shaft without splitting the cases, could you shine some lite on that for me?
Thanks so much for your help,
Joe

BigGreenMachine
04-11-2006, 01:00 AM
The shift shaft is fairly easy. Remove the kickstarter, the water pump cover and water pump propeller, then the whole clutch cover assembly. The shaft is at the very bottom back corner. You will need to remove parts to gain access to it but once those are out of the way it slides right out. I'm making it sound easy but it is a task for someone that has a manual or a good handle on mechanics/wrenching.

James

Search for "Tecate thumb throttle" and you should come across the post saying he used a 200 X throttle and a Tecate cable.

tecate kid
04-11-2006, 01:09 AM
Thanks, it just so happens I am a mechanic, just work on much larger engines (diesel) I think I may get the service manual from Kawi, unless may buddy that just started at the local dealership can get me some photocopies:cool: I will search for that thread right now. This is why I joined this site, it helps having people that know what they are talking about helping:w00t:
Thanks again,
Joe

BigGreenMachine
04-11-2006, 01:18 AM
Heres the post about it and hopefully a pic. Search for "owns Tecate" and pick the "Who owns a Tecate on Here' thread.

i believe it is a 84-85 200x throttle, and i used the stock kawi cable

you can kinda see what it looks like in that pic

http://home.ripway.com/2004-5/119930/Joe_Tecate034.jpg

tecate kid
04-11-2006, 01:31 AM
I remember seeing that when I just joined the site, never noticed the throttle though. I guess I will look for one of those now, should be a whole lot easier then a Kawi one. Wish I would have know this before I messed with the Honda cable:mad:
Thanks,
Joe

moose 53
04-11-2006, 02:18 AM
you can also make a new cable end and silversolder it on the cable in the right place. make the cable end out of brass rod and be careful not to heat the cable red hot,makes the cable too soft and it will break

tecatecrazy
04-11-2006, 07:45 PM
I dont think that any thumb throttle will work with a stock cable because the cable (not the sleeve) is too long. I have done this swap with a 85 250r thumb throttle and cable and it worked perfectly

Joe

tecate kid
04-11-2006, 08:07 PM
How did you do it? Was the cable you used the same as the one I bought? I put a link on the other page. Any help would be appreciated.
Joe

tecate kid
04-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Come on guys, I need some pics of the thumb throttle conversions, and a very good shot of the rear brakes and how they are installed. Mine don't fit and I reallly want rear brakes and a thumb throttle. Oh and if anyone has it a pick and desciption of how to install a shifter shaft, mine is in need of repair and I just won one on ebay (NOS $16.00 shipped:w00t: ) Thats what I need so any help is appreciated.
tecate kid

BigGreenMachine
04-14-2006, 12:07 AM
you'd be much better off buying a manual. i'll get you rear brake pics when I get some batteries.

tecate kid
04-14-2006, 12:37 AM
BigGreenMachine, the problem I am having with the brakes is the pad that goes on the caliper side doesn't seem to fit in the holder that is shaped like the pad, (also has the bolt holes in it). I can't figure out how this all mounts together, when I took it apart it had like a brake pad wedged into the caliper, kinda like a plug:confused: I think it was an actual brake pad, but I guess it coulda been mud and dirt:wondering I know I would be better off with the FSM but I don't have the money for that right now. Besides a friend of mine just started at a Kawi dealer so I may be able to get some ics from him. Just so I know, if I tear this apart without the manual, does someone have the pics so I can get some help if I get stuck? It can't be to hard so I ain't really worried, but just in case. Thanks guys, I really want to get this going good so I can start to ride it a little more.
tecate kid