PDA

View Full Version : Won't Start

b182tm
04-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Hey guys, my 1984 Honda 200M won't start. I got it out after winter, and when I do the electric start, it just turns but it never turns over. Every once in a while the exhaust will pop like it is going to start, but it doesnt. I got it to run for a few seconds once, but it died. When the exhaust does pop though, really white smoke comes out of it. What could be the problem? Any ideas?

Thanks.
Derek

b182tm
04-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Any ideas?

team-red-rider
04-09-2006, 10:56 AM
clean the carb yet???

crd00
04-09-2006, 10:57 AM
you might need a new spark plug, just check the spark on the plug, if theres nothing there, wires may be grounding out on something. Or you just might have to clean the carb where it was sitting for so long

erectordale
04-09-2006, 01:26 PM
check for a mouse nest in the airbox ??? sounds funny but it has happened too me and it won't run

86200s
04-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Yeah, new plug, fresh gas, check the spark and see if its constant, check the compression. (Put finger over hole and turn over) as a general rule, if it blows your finger off the hole. Its good enough to start... as for the white smoke...thats either moisture or if its got a blueish tint to it, Its oil...I'm thinkin that the valves are a little sticky and may not be seating completely... never had it happen to me but I dont know how they act in cooler areas in storage. I say do the compression test and see if its there and yes check for nests in the airbox...Its happened to me too

b182tm
04-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Hey guys, thanks. We took the carburator apart, and cleaned it, it wasnt very dirty. Checked the spark plug, it sparked, and the gap was fine. Had new gas in. I dont know how to check the compression, what hole do you put your finger over? And it still isnt starting, and the exhaust doesnt even pop now. So I'm pretty frustrated, i dont know what to do. What could the problem be?

Thanks.
Derek

BTW, no nest in airbox.

team-red-rider
04-09-2006, 08:24 PM
ok did it run *Edited**Edited* *Edited* parked it?

Chrisbroeders
04-09-2006, 08:31 PM
put your finger over the sparkplug hole and turn it over

b182tm
04-09-2006, 08:35 PM
What red-rider? I will try the spark plug thing either today or tomorrow and let you know. Any other ideas of what could be causing this problem?

team-red-rider
04-09-2006, 08:38 PM
did the trike run before you put it in storage (srry bout that)

Erics350x
04-09-2006, 08:44 PM
make sure you getting gas to the carb, could be a clogged petcock.

b182tm
04-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Yeah, it worked great before the winter. Also, The gas is definitely getting to the carb. Thanks.

team-red-rider
04-09-2006, 09:44 PM
ok if it ran the compression should be fine they just can't "lose" compression try spraying fuel directly into the carb with an old windex bottle or something similar it works for me every time!

Vealmonkey
04-09-2006, 10:01 PM
A little bit of starting fluid or in a pinch hair spray. If it tries to run, you've got a dirty carb. You can try and buy a can or 2 of carb cleaner, you may get lucky. You will have to take the carb off the trike and carefully remove the bottom fuel bowl. You will probably have some nasty brown deposits, varnish. You probably have plugged up fuel jets. Carefully spray carb cleaner in the 2 fuel jets, wear eye protection, carb cleaner in the eyes hurts. Spray until the jets look to where you can see light through them. This should get you started. If the clogging is any worse, you will have to get a carb rebuild kit and a can of carb cleaner dip. I always either try to make sure and put stabil in my fuel tank or drain all fuel and run the trike with the fuel valve off until the trike runs out of fuel, no varnished carb! If you get the bike running, try putting a can of fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank or try some "sea foam", the stuff works pretty good to help clean your carb out.

b182tm
04-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Hey, thanks guys. I already took the carb apart today, it was pretty dang clean. Put it back together, it still didnt work. Also, we blew compressed air through the jets, and they werent clogged. I will try some ether/gas directly into the carb, prob. next weekend though. So does this problem I'm having sound familiar to anyone? Do you know what the cause may be, since the carb was clean? Thanks

BTW, it sounds like it really wants to start when we try, it just never turns over.

Gunnar
04-09-2006, 10:19 PM
fresh gas definately. Could be moisture in the tank from sitting all winter, especially if living in a cold climate. try some premium gas plus a little gas dry.

might not be recomended but I will also dump a thimble of gas into the spark plug hole if its really hard to start. sometimes it just needs that first jump.

Vealmonkey
04-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Does the 200 have a pull starter? Have you just tried to pull start the crap out of it. Are you saying the engine is locked up, that it won't turn over at all? If it has fuel, spark and air it should start. The only thing I could think of is the timing is off or one of your valves are sticking. Was your spark plug wet with fuel when you were starting? Was there any indication that gas was getting to the top of the piston and the spark plug? If you have an intake valve sticking shut, you wouldn't be getting fuel to the plug. If the intake valve is sticking open you wouldn't be getting any compression. If the intake valve is sticking shut, you wouldn't be getting any fuel or air movement through they cylinder. Have you checked your valve adjustments?

b182tm
04-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Hello. It does have a pull starter, and we tried it a ton, still no go. And when I say it wont turn over, it just wont start. Like it is cranking, and sounds like it wants to start, but it just doesnt quite make it. Air comes out of the exhaust when we try to start it. Also, each time we took the spark plug out it was pretty wet, like black kinda. I havent checked the valve adjustments, I dont know how. Thanks.

Vealmonkey
04-09-2006, 10:44 PM
Have you tried starting it without the airfilter in it? You need fuel, air and spark. You said you have spark, seems like you have fuel, maybe not enough air. Try removing airbox lid and airfilter and see what happens.

b182tm
04-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Alright, thanks. I will possibly try that tomorrow. You say that with those 3 things, it should start up every time? Thanks for the help.

Derek

YTM200BOY
04-10-2006, 07:26 AM
lol man me and my dad have a 83 ytm200ek electric start is shot "we got a puller starter only" and we are having the exact same problem..... it blows doesnt it! if *Edited* find anything that works plz help me and o yeah the air unit gettin bak on the bike doesnt make a differeence i have tries like 40 ideas lol...-Joe

YTM200BOY
04-10-2006, 07:27 AM
We got spark and the compression seems a bit different then when it ran ay?? also the plug is black and wet is this what you have?

b182tm
04-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Hey guys, I put my finger over the spark plug and tried, and it blew my finger off pretty good. Also, I took off the air filter and tried starting it, still didnt start. What could it be?

darrel632
04-10-2006, 04:07 PM
try pulling it with a quad / trike / truck / whatever in 3rd gear at about 10 MPH and see if it starts, leave the air filter off and make sure you have spark before you start dragging it around.

Banage
04-10-2006, 04:21 PM
the first thing you should have done is replace the spark plug. if that dont work try to darrel pull start way

YTM200BOY
04-10-2006, 04:58 PM
b182m if the truck / car / quad pulling way works plz respond i would like mine running also lol..

b182tm
04-10-2006, 05:04 PM
K, I will try it maybe today or tomorrow. Thanks guys. Derek.

Also, by now are you guys ruling out a damaged engine? Cuz your suggestions sound like just something small that's wrong. Is this correct?

b182tm
04-11-2006, 06:56 PM
:w00t: !!!!!!!!!!! Yes, it's alive!!! So I got a new spark plug today, popped that baby in, started on the very first try. Runs like a beauty!!!! I dont get it, the old spark plug had a spark...oh well, it runs!!! :TrikesOwn

YTM200BOY, you did try a new spark plug, right?

Thanks for all the help everyone, I appreciate it.
Derek

YTM200BOY
04-11-2006, 07:00 PM
o bull crap lol SON OF A Bizzle -lol are *Edited* serious??? my plug is a ngk stock plug but its black and crappy lol so i went to autozone and they said a crossreference was this champion plug and i have 2 new ones and the ngk is current in it but i have tried the other champion new *Edited**Edited* so damn *Edited* lol.... good though.......4 *Edited* lol

YTM200BOY
04-11-2006, 07:01 PM
why does this forum block You spelled with just a simple "*Edited*" lol sorry

Russell 350X
04-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Is the spark plug wet from the gas? Do the gas injection into the cylinder idea, that is sometimes all they need is a little boost.