PDA

View Full Version : Pros and cons of a twist throttle on a 200x

firehart
04-08-2006, 03:42 PM
I was wondering how many members have twist throttles on their trikes. My hand starts to tingle and I was thinking of putting on a twist throttle on my 200x.

My rides
85 200x
06 Rancher

chris200x
04-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Not a real good idea to put a twist throttle on a trike. IMO. Not unless you have alot of experience with them.

blue27
04-08-2006, 04:07 PM
I dislike twist, I myself perfer thumb. I found that the main thing is to find a comfortable position for the thumb throttle assy. When I raced GNCC (2+hrs long event) I would not tighten the thumb throttler screws to tight, thight enough that it would not move but... that i could hit or grab ahold and twist real hard to change the postion to give my arm a break if started to "pump up". This is a good thing to do on all you lever assy (clutch/Frt Brake) because if you do roll it over or smack a tree hard enough the assy will spin around on the bars instead of breaking. Twist i had aproblem with bouncing around and applying the gas when I didn't want it and the biggest issue was trying to hold on when a hill climb attempt went bad. But everyone has there own opinion. I was always told if you started riding bikes then switched to ATVs you would perfer twist, but if starting out on thumb its hard to switch to twist.

crd00
04-08-2006, 04:26 PM
I don't mind twist throttles, but Id rather thumb. I've used both of them in my past bikes. The thing about twist throttles are is that they stick and could flick you 20ft away from the bike:lol: I know someone whos put a twist on their trike and it stuck and the bike slammed into cinder blocks and the bike got bet to crap. So I'd just stick with the thumb

BigGreenMachine
04-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Thats just a case of bad maintenace by the sounds of it Chris.

I'd like to switch to a thumb throttle on my Tecate. Twists isn't hard to use but the woods riding and hill climbing I do I'd feel better running a thumb throttle.

James

250r'en +TCB
04-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Not a real good idea to put a twist throttle on a trike. IMO. Not unless you have alot of experience with them.
I personally couldn't disagree more..... I have a twist throttle on my 250R and I wouldn't EVER go to a thumb. On trikes, especialy racing ones like the 250cc's, you lean into corners, sometimes a LOT. I race around corners sometimes like the old school flat track racers! One leg hanging over the side and such. So a trist throttle is much eisier to hold onto. When just you thumb is touching it can easily slip right off.......
For quads (except racing purposes) I prefer a thumb, but on trikes and bikes, twist all the way.........:beer
-Devin

nate b
04-08-2006, 05:29 PM
I would never use a thumb throttle.

Somekindofjerk
04-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Keep the thumb, twists are a royall pain in dee arse

Computerjoe
04-08-2006, 05:57 PM
well I recently put a twist on my 85 200s and I love it. I get a better response out of the bike. Now if you are not that experienced then I would agree it could get hairy. I know its all a personal matter of preference though...

Big D
04-08-2006, 11:25 PM
It is all a mater of preference as to what you like and how and where you ride. Open areas and flat tracking a twist might do you fine. Less fatigue on the thumb. If you are going to run hills and tight trail riding I would stay with the thumb. It gets real hairy with a twist in tight trails and especially on hills. jmo

firehart
04-09-2006, 09:34 AM
I have been thinking of trying a throttle extension first. The guy I got the 200x from gave me one. I just need to find it.

Rm250RF900R
04-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Twist on everything.

Tri-ZNate
04-09-2006, 09:50 AM
I am not a fan of twist in any way shape or form. Just dont feel safe using one. But I know familys of drag racer that prefer the twist.

85ytz250n
04-09-2006, 10:05 AM
For a real cheap thumb throttle extension use a discharged 12ga shell, work perfect. I grew up on a farm and that was on everything from teh Big Red to the Pro-hauler.

Barry

nouseforaname90
04-09-2006, 10:21 AM
I personally couldn't disagree more..... I have a twist throttle on my 250R and I wouldn't EVER go to a thumb. On trikes, especialy racing ones like the 250cc's, you lean into corners, sometimes a LOT. I race around corners sometimes like the old school flat track racers! One leg hanging over the side and such. So a trist throttle is much eisier to hold onto. When just you thumb is touching it can easily slip right off.......
For quads (except racing purposes) I prefer a thumb, but on trikes and bikes, twist all the way.........:beer
-Devin

I have a small circle track below my house (the straight aways are probably 200 yards or so), and I go pretty fast around the corners and its really easy with a thumb throttle. I lean way into the turn as well, and its still really easy with a thumb throttle.. I definately don't feel like I'm going to slip right off.

deathman53
04-09-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm bent upon using a twist or thumb. I have a twist on my 200x and I love it, however I would never put a twist on my 250r's, I thought about putting a twist on my crf450r quad, but never got around to it. I can't walk and on a wheel chair right now, I am going to go back to my 200x when I am able to and I will make the decision on the rest of the bikes then. Twists are better for more open tracks and straight aways, bumply and turn filled tracks are a toss up, depends on rider control.

willcamach
04-10-2006, 08:25 PM
im completly opposite of deathman i have a twist on my 250r and i love it. have a thumb on the 200x and absolutely hate it. stiffest throttle i have ever felt on anything. made sure it was routed right and lubed still stiff as all hell. but i have to agree it can get hairy with the twist throttle at times. whenever i ride my buddies raptor after 1/2 hour my thumb is pulsating. i say twist on anything but my kids bike.

edog
04-10-2006, 10:13 PM
Thumb...you just cant go wrong with a thumb throttle.

Solid Snake
04-10-2006, 10:51 PM
I have a TCI brand twist on my 200x, works great, feels great...I think it's all personal preference really. I always thought the 200x thumb throttle was stiff as hell and plus I started on dirtbikes with twists.

firehart
04-10-2006, 11:58 PM
I put the thumb extenion on the 200x today. It helped a lot. I think all I need now is a good pair of riding gloves.

topoortorideon4
04-11-2006, 08:42 AM
they can also dump if you pop a wheely if you go up too far its instinct to hold on and with you falling back and hanging on to the throttle your gonna gas it more