PDA

View Full Version : '86 350x clutch cable question...

mnsnowboy
04-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Hey all, I've mostly been lurking while I've been workin on my rebuild, but it's time to ask a question. I got the '86 set-up, (clutch cable behind motor) and after I hooked it up, I ran into a problem. What happens is when the clutch lever is pulled, all of the play at the clutch end of the cable is pulled taught and it acts like it's too long to disengage the clutch. What does a fella do to correct this? Maybe slide the cable thru the arm on the engine case back and epoxy it on? LOL I have no friggin idea. I can say that this cable is NOT the one that was originally on this motor. Thanks alot!

-sb

hrc200x
04-08-2006, 07:54 PM
To make a '86 cable work on a '85 motor, you should need 5 things:

A '86 cable

'86 clutch arm (thing that goes down into the motor that the cable hooks to.

the cable bracket that attaches to the flywheel cover

cable bracket that attaches behind the cyclinder

another bracket that hooks onto the oil cooler screen (don't need this one, I used a zip tie)

So if your using a '85 motor you'll need to find a '86 clutch arm that goes in the right side cover, a '85 clutch arm moved sort of forward and backward when the clutch was pulled, a '86 was more left to right. The bracket behind the cyclinder I think attaches to the center cases, so a 85 motor might not have holes tapped for it.

mnsnowboy
04-09-2006, 12:43 AM
It's an '86 motor also, the thing I am missing is the bracket behind the cylinder in the middle. I didn't realize there was one. That would solve the whole problem exactly. Thanks

-sb