PDA

View Full Version : How to redue a 1984 Tecate Gas Tank

pipeliner3481
04-05-2006, 01:20 PM
I want to redue my gas tank but I don't know how to paint the plastic or make it stick for that matter. I saw someone with a gas tank cover for thiers and that looked alright if I had to, but I would like to some how have it painted or redone some how. Thnaks

ATCWRENCH
04-05-2006, 02:24 PM
well you can use krylon fusion plastic paint or you can sand/polish it to get the scratches and scuffs out.

this method was used on a fender, I dont know if you will get the same results on a fuel tank.http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=24247&highlight=sanding+plastic

pipeliner3481
04-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Krylon fusion plastic paint doesn't have a green that is close to the kawasaki green, I wish they did though

nouseforaname90
04-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Is the Kawi tank plastic? I've never owned a Tecate, but I think they are plastic. You can not paint a plastic gas tank without the paint bubbling off after some time. You would have to Red Kote the inside of the tank before you painted it.

BigGreenMachine
04-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Greenlightning on this board painted his tank and some others. Matched the colour to the fenders really well. The inside of the tank needs to be sealed with a product called Kreem to keep the gas vapors from seeping though and bubbling the paint. You use Krylon or some other plastic primer that promotes bonding and then automotive paint can be used.

Search for "Greenlightning"

James.

scooterroo
04-05-2006, 05:19 PM
i painted the tank on my bike, i used a primer specificaly for plastic then shot it with some grabber green high temp paint, came out nice i think.

crackshot
04-05-2006, 05:26 PM
You can not paint a plastic gas tank without the paint bubbling off after some time

Bull. Mine has not bubbled, peeled or chipped on my R. I have even spilled gas on it and has not eaten it off. You guys are not prepping surfaces correctly.

atckowalski
04-05-2006, 05:28 PM
Get a vinyl tank cover from Ebay

pipeliner3481
04-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Been looking for the vinyl tank cover, but man I just can't get myself to like them, I just bought this trike and whoever had before me tried to paint it and it had two layers. A black rough layer against the plastic tank, and than the green top coat. Whatever the black stuff is, it sticks pretty good.

90nut
04-05-2006, 06:25 PM
You can paint a tank if you do the correct prep work and use the right materials. Right does not always mean the cheap ones. Now I know from experience that you can wet sand a 84-85 T3 tank all day and it will not come back to the brilliant green that it once was. Once they are faded they stay faded. They will look better but not great.

moose 53
04-06-2006, 03:52 AM
you can sand blast the gas tank with fine green diamond sand and paint it with industrial acrilic urathane.three coats color and two coats clear work well. the paint is gas and alcohol proof. my tank has been painted for 3 years with no problems.color was easy to match:Bounce