PDA

View Full Version : Stupid newbie question

ridgerunner
04-04-2006, 09:43 PM
i have only been into three wheelers a short time (a month or so) and i already have three. my son rides a 1979 atc 90, i had a 1980 185, in the month or so i actually rode it twice. now my ride is a 1985 200x. What i have noticed is the 200x seams a whole lot faster then the 185. the differance is only 15cc but it makes a great differance in speed. so i guess my question is what makes the 200x so much differant than the 185? Was something done to the x that is drastically different?(other than suspension and general looks) thanks guys

phreakboy
04-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Well gearing is a major thing, but I know the cam is also different in 200x also and welcome:welcome: .
Its definetly an addiction and I am sure there will be plenty more to come.

MyMistress86R
04-04-2006, 10:00 PM
1st of all...Welcome to the boards.

2nd...Having no true facts on your inquiry, all I can do is speculate (at least I did own a 200x once...lol). My guess would be a matter of cam and maybe timing. Although, when speaking in trike terms, 15cc can be quite a bit. A combination of internal advantages is most likely the reason for the additional performance.

Any senior members please feel free to jump in here.

thefox
04-04-2006, 10:13 PM
They really are 2 different beasts. Although the 185 is fun the 200x was built to be more of a sport trike (aka faster and handle better). Your X runs a little higher compression, a cam that makes a little more top end power, larger carb, ect. One of the biggest thinks we shouldn't forget is that big weight sticking off the end of the crankshaft on the 185, the primary clutch. Since the X is manual clutch it only has one clutch mechanism where the 185 has two.

Don’t forget that things could have been changed in the last 20 years, a simple change in the sprocket size will make a big difference.

MyMistress86R
04-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Wow...lol. Now my input does seem pretty lame. I completely missed gearing, carb size and clutch differences.

ridgerunner
04-04-2006, 11:23 PM
Well that makes more sense now. is there any thing i can do to make it faster without spending a fortune. And another stupid question would be have any of you guys actually raced these in stock form? And if so how did you like the shift pattern of a modern day dirt bike combined with a thumb throttle? Asking only because i don't know i like the throttle with the one down four up shift pattern.... maybe just need to get used to it.:wondering