PDA

View Full Version : Bad CDI ?

N5HNY
04-04-2006, 04:36 AM
I have a 86' 250es Big Red.

Got my engine back in and now working on the electrics. I got my starter working by bypassing the ground switch.

I don't seem to have any spark. I have cleaned the connections. I have also tried to check the CDI unit with a digital voltmeter like the manual says.

Anybody have this problem ? Where do you get new CDI units if needed ?

N5HNY
04-04-2006, 01:57 PM
John,

I couldn't get the starter to whirl over. I checked the wiring diagram and noticed that the neutral switch grounded everything. So I bypassed it with a jumper wire and the starter works now.

However, the neutral light does not light up, so I will check that out. I was told this thing was running before it "locked up".

Is your Big Red an 86' ?

N5HNY
04-04-2006, 07:43 PM
John,

Check your PM.

I just had an idea I might have sent you my CDI box to try on your BR.

I got everything sparking now. On to the carb and tank for fire up time.

N5HNY
04-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks John. I appreciate the offer.

I'm good to go now. My wiring harness is in great shape. Got lucky there I guess.

I have a carb kit, so now it is on to the carb. Sombody already put a plastic tank on it so I don't have to worry about rust. My petcock looks rugged though. The long screen is gone but I can put an outboard filter on the fuel line.

The 86' has a bunch of little hoses on the carb for pollution control or egr. Good Grief !!!!

It's getting closer stand by.

N5HNY
04-06-2006, 01:44 AM
I have seen some posts about cold weather start kits for the Big Red. I always wondered what they looked like. I figured it was some kind of modified enrichment circuit inside the carb.

I got the carb back together tonight. The Shinda kit I bought kinda left me confused. It had some parts that were a bit different than my carb. I had cleaned the carb in carb dip, so I just cleaned up the old brass parts and reinstalled them.

I will work on the fuel tank and petcock tommorrow. Man it's getting close, just hope that transmission isn't toast.