PDA

View Full Version : 250es kick start problem

Buckwheat
04-03-2006, 06:39 PM
Hey guys,
I'm new to this site, but not new to bikes. I have a TOTALLY rebuilt big Red 250es. I have the electric start disabled. I use the kick start. I've owned the bike 2 years and maybe drove it 7-10 times.
here's the problem.
The kick start slips bad, I've replaced the one-way sprag bearing 3 times, most times I'll get 3-4 runs on it and then she's slipping again. the clutches are adjusted proper. I put a new outter drum and centrifugal clutch assembley in and it worked great first kick every time for one full day of wheeling then back to slipping. once it's warm it's great. doesn't slip at all. but to start it cold....well you can't. Like I said one good kick and she flashes up, but she slips to bad to get a full kick on it and it continues to eat one-way bearings up. I'm at my wits end and everyone I talk to can't figure it out. is there something I'm missing or just don't know about. I've done a search and can't find anything. any input would be muchly appeciated.
Regards
TCL

bigredhead
04-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Just curious.. what oil do you run ?

Buckwheat
04-04-2006, 03:55 AM
I run a 15 w 40 pretty much a reagular bleand, QS or Pennsoil. my man.

TCL

Buckwheat
04-05-2006, 03:31 AM
No takers?

Howdy
04-05-2006, 09:50 AM
I know you have replaced a bunch of stuff already, but was it new or used parts?

Myself: I would probably replace the whole centrifical clutch / one-way bearing assembly with a known good one and see what happens.
Howdy

Buckwheat
04-05-2006, 12:07 PM
I replaced the clutch assmebly from another working bike. and the first bottom end of the bike didn't have thrid gear(a different problem) but I swapped bottem ends to get third gear. so the crank bearings sould have showed themselves at that time. Maybe I over tightened the clutch ass. and wore it out pre-maturlly. can I see it 3 times in a row? no but there's gotta be sometime.

TCL