PDA

View Full Version : big red rust

atcmatt
03-16-2003, 06:12 AM
i just brought an 85 200es big red trike. the previous owner did not take care of this trike. i think it did alot of beach work so its very rusty. the motor is in good nick but the frame is stuffed but i have a spare one i think it is a 200m frame but with some modifications it will be good but i have come across some problems ive got the engine off the frame by cutting it to pieces as some of the bolts are rusted onto the alloy gearbox and will not come off, the nuts are stripped as a result of me and my dad trying to get them off. ive tried wd-40 overnight soaking, ive tried drilling and now am stuck on these problems. WHAT CAN I DO, please if you have any ideas post them on this message board as it will help me valuably
thanks

Matt

Dirtcrasher
03-16-2003, 09:46 AM
Heat removes rusty fastners - cherry red, not a propane torch but oxy -acteylene. But I have always survived using a 4" right angle grinder or a dremel with the good fiberglass reinforced discs - cut the heads off and smash the bolt out. Sometimes you can tighten and loosen the bolt and nut with good sockets and they'll snap.
Any time you have tough bolts your first try has got to be your best. Quality sockets - use 6 point and penetrating oil. 12 point sockets or cheapos will always cause more grief. Good luck!

Howdy
03-16-2003, 10:01 AM
Don't use too much heat on the cases. You will have problems.

I suggest You might try tapping them one way then the other thus slowly feeing the bolt up. It will take some time but I am sure they will come out.
Howdy

atcmatt
03-17-2003, 06:39 AM
thanks guys but ive tried grinding the heads off and ive tried heating but i dident get em red hot but im worried ill melt the alloy casing so ill not take the risk. ive organised a guy to have a look at it at a mechanic shop toimorrow, and if he caznt do it hell get somebody else to do it. i think theyll probably use some sort of press ill let you know what happens.

thanks alot for trailprotrailpro prompt reply

matt

atcmatt
03-18-2003, 01:08 AM
my big red motor was taken too a engerneer today (tuesday) and hell be able to do it next week for me which is good but i dunno how much hell charge me i hope its only 30 or so bucks

matt