PDA

View Full Version : CR250 ignition upgrade on the 250R

Derrick Adams
04-02-2006, 08:26 AM
Started installing my CR ignition on Casper last night. I bought a 97 CR250 ignition system off ebay and ordered up a mounting kit from ESR last week.

All I can say is this flywheel is small! I still have to make a mounting plate for the CDI box. On the dirtbike it mounts on the steering stem, so that's where i'm going to put it on the trike. I hope to have that done today.

Here's some pictures so far.

Some of the benifits of the CR ignition are:
Faster revs
Higher revs
Adjustable timing
Increased Horsepower

Some of the drawbacks are:
Decrease of low-end torque
Easier to stall
Loss of lighting

There are flywheel weights available for this flywheel, so I figure I should be able to tune this combo to whatever power range I need.

Kintore
04-02-2006, 08:57 AM
Sweet setup you got there D. Got one heck of a trike. The endless money pit! lol

Cant wait to see it at TF! :w00t:

deathman53
04-03-2006, 06:45 PM
I have one too, I wrapped the cdi in tape and put it on the cross member apove the spark plug hole and I used small bungee cords to hold it on. I holds fine, its not solid mounted, but doesn't move anywhere. I love it too, there is no lighting, but who cares, its great for mx, trails-I don't think so.

EAT_A_450
07-05-2008, 12:26 PM
How did you guys mount the cr coil?

Billy Golightly
07-05-2008, 05:45 PM
I put mine in the place deathman53 put his CDI, and I welded nuts down to the frame where it can be bolted down.