PDA

View Full Version : Bent R axle: can it be straightend?(UPDATE!!!)

250r'en +TCB
04-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Well I went riding today and my rear axle on my 85 250r is definatly bent slightly. If you are behind me when I ride you see the tires go in and out. When I ride on the tar (fast) the whole machine vibrates side to side. Even I can see the tires go side to side when I ride......
So anyway can you have the axle straghtend out???? I have no expierence with this so I'm clueless.......
Thanks, Devin

Macs
04-01-2006, 08:57 PM
if it is going side to side it sounds like worn bearings. If it is bent you should have an up and down motion

250r'en +TCB
04-01-2006, 08:59 PM
that would be sweet! way less $$$ I have to spend!!! Can anyone else second that and give me a way to tell for sure if this is the case!!!

Macs
04-01-2006, 09:00 PM
just grab the back of the trike and pull it from side to side. you should see any play.

Dammit!
04-01-2006, 09:02 PM
If the rear bearings are bad you should be able to rock it back and forth. You'll see the axle and swinger aren't moving together. There's a little bit of play in the axle when those bearings go bad.

If your axle was bent though, any shop with a press can straighten it to a degree. Might not be perfect but cheaper than buying a replacement.

Bryan Raffa
04-01-2006, 09:02 PM
side to side could also be your rim, put it up on a stand and let it run in 1st gear and look at it from the rear to see, grab ahold of your axel and see if there is any play in it wile its up there.

250r'en +TCB
04-01-2006, 09:22 PM
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=121619&store=Main&catId=112&productId=p121619&leafCatId=11206&mmyId=5968
If I were to buy this bearing set would it be enough for the entire rear axle, both sides? Or do I have to buy two of these sets????
Thanks, Devin

Maine_Triker
04-01-2006, 09:26 PM
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=121619&store=Main&catId=112&productId=p121619&leafCatId=11206&mmyId=5968
If I were to buy this bearing set would it be enough for the entire rear axle, both sides? Or do I have to buy two of these sets????
Thanks, Devin
One set of those would be good.

Sounds to me too like your problem is with the bearings... easy fix if it is.

250r'en +TCB
04-01-2006, 09:29 PM
YES!!! Thats what I like to hear!!!
Anyone think they can give me a step by step process on replacing the bearings? I would be VERY VERY VERY thankful for it!!!:w00t: :beer
-Devin

ClayW
04-01-2006, 09:31 PM
If its bent, Its bent forever. I have been down this road. I got mine to feel fine, but when friends rode behind me, they said the wobbled like hell. I could find no one In the Atlanta metro area that would touch it. They said it would be cheaper to buy a used one.

Bryan Raffa
04-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Ive straitend many of axels using a hyd. press, no problem if you know what your doing!

crackshot
04-01-2006, 09:47 PM
side to side could also be your rim, put it up on a stand and let it run in 1st gear and look at it from the rear to see,

And keep fingers away from chain.

250r'en +TCB
04-01-2006, 09:58 PM
really??? Man good thing you told me I was going to play a game of tug-o-war with the chain. I could have won......:lol:
Anyway can somebody tell me how to change the bearings here because as previously stated I'm clueless on this matter. I searched the boards and had no results.....

Thanks, Devin

Bryan Raffa
04-01-2006, 09:59 PM

YES keep them away from the chain!! we dont need any one else looseing a finger!

Maine_Triker
04-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Anyway can somebody tell me how to change the bearings here because as previously stated I'm clueless on this matter. I searched the boards and had no results.....

Thanks, Devin
Well if your going to spend the 30 buck for the bearings you might as well spend $15 for a manual... will make life a lot easier :welcome:

Dammit!
04-01-2006, 11:36 PM
You can get them cheaper from dads most likely.

mike from long island
04-02-2006, 01:32 AM
Well I went riding today and my rear axle on my 85 250r is definatly bent slightly. If you are behind me when I ride you see the tires go in and out. When I ride on the tar (fast) the whole machine vibrates side to side. Even I can see the tires go side to side when I ride......
So anyway can you have the axle straghtend out???? I have no expierence with this so I'm clueless.......
Thanks, Devin

i am tired and dont feel like reading the entire thread. but if your axle is bent. it cost me $15 bucks to have my banshee axle straightened. it wasnt 100% but damn near 99%. never had a probelm after that.

crd00
04-02-2006, 01:45 AM
To take the axle out its pretty much strait forward. Just take the hub off on the left side(the left side of when your sitting on the bike) then just loosen off those two big nuts on the left side of the axle. When you do that the axle should slide right out.:w00t: You don't even need to know what your doing, its that easy

Kintore
04-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Well if your going to spend the 30 buck for the bearings you might as well spend $15 for a manual... will make life a lot easier :welcome:

Beleive me, manuals are the best tool you can buy IMO. MT knows!

250r'en +TCB
04-02-2006, 10:14 AM
well thanks guys, I'll manage to figure it out I'm sure..... Now I just have to buy those bearings! Another $40 with shipping, why not right?? hahaha money pit!!!!

Dammit!
04-02-2006, 11:37 AM
well thanks guys, I'll manage to figure it out I'm sure..... Now I just have to buy those bearings! Another $40 with shipping, why not right?? hahaha money pit!!!!

Check with dads first. I got my Z bearings for half that including shipping.

250r'en +TCB
04-02-2006, 04:41 PM
The axle is DEFINATLY bent. I jacked up the machine, removed the wheels and that puppy is bent for sure. I think it just took to many hard landings because both sides are bent the same way. Who knows......
So if I find a place to straghten it..... How much do you guys think it will cost and also will it even be worth it?
Anybody have an axle for an 85 R for sale? A STRAIGHT ONE PERHAPS!?!?!:lol:

Dammit!
04-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Get in the phone book and call some machine shops. They're gonna be cheaper than bike shops most of the time. I haven't had to do it in years but when I did it was like 15 bucks for one side. If they can get it reasonably straight for say, 40 bucks or less, it's probably worth it. Any more than that you're better off looking for a used replacement.

dickieg89
04-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Yeah, find yourself a clymer manual, or something like that, it's good reading and you won't be clueless after that on stuff like bearing replacment

CorbinKale
04-03-2006, 01:48 AM
http://deepa.recongamer.com/

DeePa has already hooked us up with his manuals online. While I am thinking about it, THANKS, DeePa!