PDA

View Full Version : straightening an axle ??

HypnotizeMindz
03-15-2003, 07:09 PM
i have an axle for my 86 200x
one side is slightly bent
has about 1/2 inch wobble.. or bend

what can i do to straighten it ??
is there any place i can send it to and have it straightened ?

mike from long island
03-15-2003, 07:35 PM
i had my banshee axle straighten at a local Brake shop. cost $15 bucks any place with a good lathe could probable straighten it good luck

HypnotizeMindz
03-15-2003, 07:41 PM
thanks man.. i'll know a machine shop with a lathe... but i didnt know they could straighten an axle

i dont know when i'd be able to take it....
i work from 5:30 am to 5:30 pm.... and the place closes at 4:30

i'm not complaining about my hours though... Big money

me = heavy machinery operator :)

mike from long island
03-15-2003, 07:43 PM
no prob they need a press too i think i wasnt there when he straighten the axle just ask qwuik and split because i was happy it is straight now good luck

tony_250r
03-15-2003, 10:33 PM
It's not that hard to do. Inspect it by rolling it on a flat surface, a surface plate works good if you have one. You can use a glass plate if you don’t have a surface plate. When you see the bend, mark it with stick chalk or use a marker. Now place the axle on a 2x4 with the bend up. Pound on it with a brass hammer, if you don' t have a brass hammer place a peace of wood on the top and then pound on it with a steel hammer.
Pound and inspect, pound and inspect until you get it a straight.

J.D.
03-15-2003, 10:52 PM
Or you can take an OxCetylene torch and heat it up, and carefully bend it back to shape. Be careful not to turn the metal to liquid, just heat it up.

Mobular
03-15-2003, 11:32 PM
If you want to screw it royally, use heat...
Heat removes the temper.

8bikesandcounting
03-15-2003, 11:53 PM
Take it to a machining shop and have it done right with a press. Like Mobular said, heat should be a no no

ATCnut
03-16-2003, 12:13 AM
If it bent once, it will bend again. Unless you have it strightened and retempered. Spending money having it strightened just delays replacing it or fixing it right

HypnotizeMindz
03-16-2003, 12:31 AM
yeah.. thanks for all your help.... my brother's going to take it monday morning while i'm at work

Dirtcrasher
03-16-2003, 09:39 AM
Heat weakens metal, not a good idea. I was able to straighten forks which bent so bad the tire touched the frame. 2 v blocks which you roll the axle in and then a dial indicator to find the high spot. Then we just used a press and had to go past the bend and beyond straight to get it straight. Still using them today. Usually guys don't want to bend or whack stuff in a lathe chuck because they aren't made for that.

HypnotizeMindz
03-16-2003, 12:00 PM
i dont really like to bend things back to original.. but i dont want to spend alot, or junk my axle

it's jus a small wobble... they should be able to fix it

atc's
03-16-2003, 12:35 PM
couldn't you use heat to straighten it then get some kysenite (hardener) to harden it

Howdy
03-16-2003, 12:58 PM
You can but it will never be as good as if you didn't heat it at all. Heat and axles can be a bad combo.

HypnotizeMindz
03-16-2003, 01:01 PM
yeah.. i had an axle straightened with heat on my last 200x...
it bent again the next day...
that's why i asked on here who and what could straighten it... i didnt want heat to be a choice...

Howdy
03-16-2003, 01:15 PM
If you can't get it straightened locally I think I can straighten it.
The bad thing is I'm 1000+ miles away. :9

HypnotizeMindz
03-16-2003, 01:43 PM
well howdy.. if i cant get it done.... are you up for the task ?
i'll pay for shipping ... how much would you charge to do it ??

tony_250r
03-17-2003, 02:00 PM
I've straightened out axles using the method I mentioned above, and I’ve had no problems. The secret is that you have to protect the axle. It all depends on the wrench turner’s skill! A press would be the preferred method, but if you don’t have a press, skill comes into the equation. Whatever method you use to straighten the axle, it still will retain a memory, unless you are a metallurgist. A metallurgist will know how to retain the temper after heating.

Tweeked
03-17-2003, 02:10 PM
I have a Big Red and I was just wondering if for some reason I ever bent it due to the lack of rear suspention---Would it be as easy to fix as a 200x's rear axle? Its not a solid axle--its two pieces I believe---I could be wrong though...Anyways, Just wondering, any feedback would be great. Thanks