PDA

View Full Version : Tri-z leaking coolant

Rennat_2006
03-30-2006, 11:07 PM
my buddys 85 tri z is leaking coolant onto the back of the front fender and down onto the exhaust.

It doesnt leak all the time and we havent rode it since we saw it.It seem to be leaking out the where the triple tree's go through the frame and then down the back of the front fender.

Any one expirence this one before?
We pulled the little plastic deals off of the sides of the radiators and everything looked dry on them and the motor just on the plastics:wondering

Thanks in advance

Bryan Raffa
03-30-2006, 11:18 PM
theres a small hose that joins both rad. on the top, pull the air box off and check that when it good and hot

jsimonh
03-30-2006, 11:30 PM
It just sounds like it is blowing a little water out of the overflow bottle:wondering . I would keep an eye on the water level before each ride. I hope its not a impellar problem:( .

Rennat_2006
03-30-2006, 11:38 PM
bryan-
with it running or shut off?

jsi-
the over flow is under the seat isnt it?

I did check the bottle under the seat right when i noticed it and it was completely full to the bottom of the little rubber cap.

What is this impeller problem you mentioned?

Bryan Raffa
03-31-2006, 12:06 AM
fill it up, get it warmed up then take the air box off, dont get any thing in the carb!! then start it with it running look at the tops of the rad. hoses all around that area check for loose hose clamps hoses leaking see if you can pinpoint where its comeing from ps you can take the airbox off but you can leave the tube on.

twgranger
03-31-2006, 12:06 AM
It sounds like it is coming from the overflow tube. Sounds like it is too full to me so it is gonna overflow out the tube. I did the same thing before.

Bryan Raffa
03-31-2006, 12:09 AM
oh and follow the hose that comes out of the top of the over flow bottle thats usally run up that way and it should be half full so suck some out

Bryan Raffa
03-31-2006, 12:10 AM
LOL echo,echo!

twgranger
03-31-2006, 12:12 AM
oh and follow the hose that comes out of the top of the over flow bottle thats usally run up that way and it should be half full so suck some out
yeah he said the bottle is full to the top.:eek: maybe that is his problem. I would start by taking some fluid out and then see if it is still leaking.

Bryan Raffa
03-31-2006, 12:15 AM
right on!! try that first!

Rennat_2006
03-31-2006, 12:16 AM
but no one ever added anything to it and we have taken it out riding many many times and it was only like 50 degrees out.

It didnt feel funny or anything i just happened to glance down and see steam.

i will tell him about checking the hoses with the airbox off and running and see if we can get this thing figured out.

whats this impeller deal that was mentioned?

Bryan Raffa
03-31-2006, 12:19 AM
check your oil if its milky white you have a bad seal, the shaft sometimes spins on the impeller,start it cold with the cap off and let it warm up and see if the fluid os moveing in the rad.if its might be a bad shaft

Rennat_2006
03-31-2006, 12:22 AM
oil?

trans oil is what im gonna take that one as,
is this with the leak or the impeller problem that was mentioned?

twgranger
03-31-2006, 12:23 AM
LOL echo,echo!
Hello???:wondering :lol:

Rennat_2006
03-31-2006, 12:25 AM
these dont have any sort of thermostat in them do they?

so if i have the cap off and start it up cold i should be able to see it move.

Bryan Raffa
03-31-2006, 12:25 AM
it could be the prob if the shafts bad then it will overheat blowing out the over flow, yes the tranny oil

Bryan Raffa
03-31-2006, 12:28 AM
you will have to wait till the thermostat opens

Rennat_2006
03-31-2006, 12:29 AM
ok

about how long should i let it run for before it starts to overheat if the shaft is broken while im looking into the radiator?

Bryan Raffa
03-31-2006, 12:34 AM
1.remove fluid so the overflow is 1\4 full
2.check tranny oil
3.start with cap off (cold)see if fluid is moveing (let thermostat open)
4.if moveing put cap on let it build pressure to see if it comes out anymore
in that order

Bryan Raffa
03-31-2006, 12:36 AM
just keep watching it when its full it shouldnt take long to start moveing

Bryan Raffa
03-31-2006, 12:40 AM
you can feel the cylnder with your hand as its warming up if it gets to the point where it scorching hot and burns your hand then shut er down

Rennat_2006
03-31-2006, 11:38 PM
alright im gonna check it out real good tommorow

thanks again, i will post back on what i find

TimSr
04-01-2006, 12:37 AM
When coolant shoots out the oveflow, its usually a sign of overheating. The most common cause on a TriZ is impeller failure. If your overflow tank is clear full, and you didnt fill it, you are blowing coolant past the radiator cap, which means its getting too hot. Occasional shots here and there is okay. Frequent is a problem.

The coolant overflow tank has a hose connected to it that normally runs up and is connected to the tree up front. Thats the hose the coolant blows out. Overfilling the tank will not cause steam to come out, and will not cause any problems. If its coming out of the radiator and into the tank, youll get steam out of the hose, regardless of how much is in the tank.

The TriZ does have a thermostat, but most have either been removed, or are stuck open, but unless youve had the housing open and looked at it, dont assume anything.

To check flow, open the radiator cap, and start it. If the thermostat has been removed, or is stuck open, you will be able to look inside and see obvious flow when ist running, which increases with engine rpm's. If the thermostat is working properly, which is rare, you wont see flow until its hot. (185 degrees if I remember right.)

If it is not flowing, even after its warmed up, take the impeller housing off, and check it. This is the small housing down on the side cover that the radiator hose connects to. When you take out the one allen screw holding it on with the sealing washer, all your coolant will run out, so get a bucket ready. The impeller consists of a plastic propeller on a steel shaft. If the plastic part is not connected to the steel shaft, and falls out loose when you remove the cover, you have found your culprit.

If flow is good, and you have coolant coming out the overflow before it is overheating, the most common cause is the head gasket which allows your piston to pressurize your radiator.

03 ORANGE SHEE
04-02-2006, 12:05 AM
tim, i counld'nt have said it better myself!:w00t: listen to tim sr.!:Bounce