PDA

View Full Version : Gasket Sealer

N5HNY
03-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Ok

First off I alway use gasket sealer when I replace gaskets.

However, I had a gasket from a cheap gasket set that was way off. I was going to actually have to cut it in sections to use it. I could have done this and used the sealer and it would not have leaked.

But since the subject of gasket sealer as apposed to no gasket sealer has come up before I decided to try no gasket sealer. Keep in mind that the gasket I used lined up fine on the bottom part of the engine cover.

Well it leaked. And I mean leaked big time.

So I would have to say that gasket sealer in small amounts is a good thing. The manual did not say use sealer but I think it is a given.

Just a little experiment for the newbies.

DeePa
03-30-2006, 07:39 PM
i ran into a bad new gasket on my r...what kind of gasket sealer do you use? I have permatex type 2, the non hardening for cylinder head covers, but i dont think that is what you are talking about.

Can you give me a link to this product?

Thanks,
Mike

N5HNY
03-30-2006, 08:24 PM
DeePa,

I'm kinda confused. I didn't mention using any adhesive in the last post.

However, I removed the gasket, cleaned it with some solvent, and used Permatex Black Silicone 16B when i reinstalled it. I find this stuff does better for leaks than the blue stuff.

I use the red stuff for high heat applications.

dwolf8u
03-31-2006, 07:11 PM
Use The Permatex 598b "ultra Black" Been Using It For Years An No Problems

pinkerchook
04-01-2006, 01:28 AM
I have found out from experience that the copper and silver gasket spray works great. You spray it on the gasket on both sides and let it tack up a bit, say 30 secs, then put it on what ever and tourqe. It works great because it makes a good seal when its dryed and if you messed up on something you can take the item off with out ruining the gasket. You should always use a good brand gasket.

N5HNY
04-01-2006, 03:06 AM
Good Point ! Always use a quality gasket.

I am reassembling a rolling basket case just for evaluation. If I get some fun time out of it and it later blows, I will do a complete teardown.

I forgot all about that copper stuff. We called it Copper Coat when I was a kid. Your right. It makes for a good seal and easy gasket removal.

It used to be that or yellow "gorilla snot". The silicones came in and kinda took over. I will watch for a can of that next time I go to the store. Lord knows there are plenty of projects in my garage.