PDA

View Full Version : air cooler backfires and is difficult to start?????

trikezilla
03-29-2006, 08:59 PM
Ok here is my problem. When I kick over on my R it wont fire decent and idle. I can kick on it, and it will either:

A) ...it will backfire and make a louder pthhhhhhht! noise

B)...it will fire and it will couch once like it is going to start on the initial kick to actualy start it, but then as the piston moves up and down through its normal travel, it doesnt fire enough to actually start, but it seems like it really wants to.

C) ...the FEW times I can get it to actually start (only when it sit for like over night) it will only run a little ways (500 ft) before it just loses all power...it feels like its is out of gas/getting to much.

I have no clue what is up, I have not tried a new plug, and that may be what is wrong, but it just started doing this so fast that I cant believe its the plug. Oh, BTW I have tried other used plugs that I am 99% confident are good.

Could this be a weak ignition coil, poor CDI pulse generator or what. BTW, on these plugs the blue spark isnt by any means "fat"

Thanks,
Charlie

Maine_Triker
03-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Could be any of those electrical components you mentioned.... might want to test what you can.

Could also be a carb related problem... or crap in your petcock or reeds.

trikezilla
03-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Ok, I will have to check it out....Im sure Ill be back with questions....any suggestions on how to test the electrical? Do I need special tools?

Thanks

Maine_Triker
03-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Electrical isn't really my area so I can't help you there, but I think all you need is one of those little meters....

atcfreak85
03-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Electrical isn't really my area so I can't help you there, but I think all you need is one of those little meters....

Yes its called a multi meter and you set it on the AC setting. DO a search of the forum and i'm shure you can find something that'll tell you alot more than me I'm shure about electrical testing!! Good luck :crazy:

ScottZJ
03-30-2006, 05:45 PM
This is a long shot but something easy to check, is make sure your exhaust is free of anything. Rodants are known to build nests in there, and that does cause what you are describing, to some extent. Like I said probably a long shot but I like to eliminate easy stuff before I tear into the engine............peace

BigGreenMachine
03-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Check your reeds, worn out reeds will make for a hard start. Have you pulled the plug to see if it is wet?

trikezilla
03-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Ok,

Yes I have checked my plug and it is wet. Like I say it is getting gas for sure and it does want to go (mainly on the intial kick when the spark is the "biggest") and does cough a wee bit and sputter.

About the exhaust...I have been running it a bit rich lately, could that clog something up? Ill check for a rodent as I dont want to tear into her yey.

Lastly, If I (worst case scenario here) need to replace pretty much all the elctrical is that a real difficult job? Is there a large ampunt that is inside the motor?

Thanks

BigGreenMachine
03-31-2006, 12:40 AM
Nothing inside the motor besides the stator coils behind the flywheel.

honda200
03-31-2006, 12:58 AM
on my old tecate 4, it ran so rich from the previous owner, that the baffel was actually pluggled solid, and i had to let it dip in parts cleaner for a little bit and wire wheel the snot out of it, and compressed air too, after that, it ran great

I was also going to sugges to make sure your gas is turned on, my buddy did that, and for the life of him, he couldnt get it to run, that he actually took it down to the shop i work at and paid us 15 bucks to look at it, (and pretty much give the fuel tap a turn, LOL)

Curtis

monster 84r
03-31-2006, 01:56 AM
this is a long shot, but you might want to check your carb. before i rebuilt mine, the float would stick, and flood the heck out of the motor. it would backfire like crazy, and wouldnt start, and would run descent on a plug for 4 minets then foul it. i got a carb rebuild kit and it never happened again.

bigred_boy
03-31-2006, 11:15 AM
yea put a new plug in that i had the same problem. if i didnt have my bike wide open most of the time and just putted around it will kill the plug and wont work again untill i put a new plug in. go from there if it works good when you put the new plug in the most likely you have a carb issue.

Dave223
03-31-2006, 07:48 PM
you can also pull the flywheel and check for a sheared or partially sheared key. I found this on my 84 R and it was doing basicly the same thing.

trikezilla
03-31-2006, 10:16 PM
Ok, well I will be working on it tomorrow. I got a plug, and Ill check the reeds and the carb...if its noe of that I will go to the wiring then the insides. Thanks again

MTS
03-31-2006, 11:35 PM
Check Your headgasket....Sounds like it is Blown out, look between the head and cylinder for any black splooge.....i Just went though this ordeal with my A/C bike.....Exact same symptons...

trikezilla
04-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Well, I do have black oily gook all over, but its from the exhaust flange/seal being gone. I did however get it to go. Turns out it was: a bad plug, poor jetting (too rich...the D-A-J sure helped!), and the packing somehow slid down and was partially blocking the exhaust. Thanks