PDA

View Full Version : XL 500 convert finally started.

Jason Hall
03-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Well I got going on the 500 project. I scrounged up an old broken up 350X frame & did a little choppin. The top of the frame Is all 350X. That means I can run all the X plastic & gas tank. Man that made my job alot easier. The front tube between the exhaust pipe from the bike frame fit rite Inside the 350X frame tube, like It was meant to be. I just need to weld the two frames together In the area where the X frames love to break. I think I will cut the tube off the top part of the frame & make a beefy triangle gussot to fasten It all together. Here are a few :pics: I figured I would share. She don't look all to swell yet, but It will get better. I hope:w00t:

Derrick Adams
03-26-2006, 10:01 AM
I see big time carb clearance issues in your near future. That thing is going to be a massive looking motor in a 3-wheeler! You sure you want to do all that work just to ride behind me on the flat-track? LOL

I bet that bike will be wicked fun for trail riding. Better make two swingarms, that way if you don't like flat tracking it, we can go climb some hills!!!

Jason Hall
03-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Derrick the carb will clear with lost of room. The problem will be the exhaust, I need to shorten It up alot.

If I don't like It on the flat track I will find something to use It for. It would be an animal In the trails. As for the swinger, wait till you see what I have In mind. It will be a special flat track swinger. It will be made to eat big purple apes on 2 strokes that are way behind :lol: :lol: :lol:.

Bryan Raffa
03-26-2006, 11:54 AM
now thats a tight fit!!

mymint87
03-26-2006, 11:58 AM
the XL500 is a NICE motor...tall gearing for higher speeds but PLENTY-O-THUMP....

YOUR a FREAKING MANIAC:twisted: sweet project...:w00t: can't wait to see it finished

I see big time carb clearance issues in your near future.

maybe he can turbo it?:twisted:

toyota200x
03-26-2006, 08:28 PM
the XL500 is a NICE motor...tall gearing for higher speeds but PLENTY-O-THUMP....

YOUR a FREAKING MANIAC:twisted: sweet project...:w00t: can't wait to see it finished

maybe he can turbo it?:twisted:

Rad project....:eek:

I wouldn't flat track it, ride the trails. When do you think you are going to be done?

Jason Hall
03-26-2006, 08:59 PM
toyota200x, I built the swingarm today. I hope to have It done In a few weeks. Here are the latest pic's.

3leggeddog
03-26-2006, 09:11 PM
AWESOME!!!!!!

i love it,can't wait to ride it!!

350xBomb
03-27-2006, 07:06 AM
Dude....that has SAND written all over it. I've always wished my 350 was a 500. That is beautiful. Looks like yer makin quick progress. Keep us updated.

toyota200x
03-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Cool swing arm, I have never seen one like it.

Billy Golightly
03-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Looks good Jason. Your in for alot of work though. I just traded my old one I had started this weekend...Good bye 500X :(

Lomax
03-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Yeah, resting behind the house, I got it off the trailer last night and decided that was a good enough place for it. There is much work to be done and after I looked it over more this morning, Trikefest isnt happening for this one.
I am going to use the project 350's parts (I started on it about a month ago) to Re-start on this one. Are you using the Reed-Valve head?
-Will

Lomax
03-27-2006, 01:24 PM
I got a better look at your pictures, you have the later model engine.

LonesomeTriZ
03-27-2006, 02:15 PM
I am glad to see that thing wne to a good home. i was wondering if you were ever going to do any thing else with it. How many members here have one of thos conversions now?

Jason Hall
03-27-2006, 08:57 PM
Billy, what kind of problems were you having with finishing It? Everything seems to be working out ok except the exhaust will be a little work. I had this old bike( 82 XL500) just sitting here with no fenders or side panels & the wrong tank. So I figured It would be cheaper to build this then buy a 350X. So here we go. The swingarm Is a custom michigan hillbilly design. It was real easy to build. I used 2 hole saws to cut the tubing round at the ends. Much less grinding :Bounce. I wish I had some good 86 350X plastic.

Mike_Ham_250R
03-27-2006, 09:01 PM
Jason, I love your projects, looking good!

Jason Hall
03-27-2006, 10:55 PM
honda200s1984, Thanks man. I really enjoy building stuff. I love The way three wheelers ride & just think they are the coolest looking machines ever.

MTS
03-28-2006, 12:34 AM
Thats a cool build!, if i remember correctly billy took a whole nother rout building his,..he extended a 350x frame and wedged it in......

Billy Golightly
03-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah, we cut the entire frame in half in the engine cradle area and stretched it 3 inches. We slid tubing inside original frame tubing and welded it, then made some outside pieces that were pipe split in half to cover that up that were kind of shaped like > < with the ends in a v shape so you could get more weld on the tubing. We had 2 of those on each joint that was cut and extended, which brought the total to 8.

Jason Hall
03-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Billy, why did you let It go? There must have been something holding you up. I'm curious to know what It was. I am having trouble with the wiring on mine. But I think I finally figured It out.

MTS
03-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Billy, why did you let It go? There must have been something holding you up. I'm curious to know what It was. I am having trouble with the wiring on mine. But I think I finally figured It out.
He snaped the kickstart Shaft clean off.....:lol: :beer

Billy Golightly
03-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Yup. Honestly, it was a pain the entire way. I had just finally got it moving and running half way decent when I went to fold the kickstarter out and it came off in my hand. I guess I had cracked the shaft from before or something. It had over 200lbs of compression if I remember right. That was just the straw that broke the camels back. It could be an awesome machine but I have to say, it whooped me. Dont want anything else to do with it. I might start another one some day but I doubt it.

Jason Hall
03-28-2006, 03:11 PM
I have a buddy here In Michigan, I call Him Steve Honda lol. He has about 4 of these 500 engines sitting around. I know one has to have electric start. I have an old 1964 C-200 90cc Honda motorcycle that he Is drooling over, because I have the origional paper work for It. I hope to make him a deal for the little bike to get the rest of the 350X parts I need & maybe the electric start parts for the 500. I see Lomax has the 500 now, Let me know for sure what you need for the engine & I will see If steve has the parts.

Lomax
03-28-2006, 04:33 PM
It will be some time before i work on it. Right now its just a great conversation piece, Having a cold beer and everyone saying MY GOD WHAT A MOTOR! I have several new idea's in mind for the machine and its re-instatment in the trike world. I thank you for the offer on the help of locating parts, when i start on it then i will be giving you a shout. IF you need any pictures from this 500 then I will gladly take them and post them for you (frame, wiring, exhaust, whatever).
-Will

Jason Hall
04-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Here are a few of the latest pic's. The plastic & tank are old and crusty, but that Is all I have to make It look like something. If someone has a good 350X front fender pm me & I will probably buy It. I will be watching e-bay for some cheap rear fenders that are decent. I still have alot of work ahead, but a little at a time I will get It done.

Tri-ZNate
04-03-2006, 11:14 PM
that looks awesome! Your bringing to TF right?

Jason Hall
04-03-2006, 11:22 PM
I will bring It If I can fit It on my trailor lol, Space Is getting tight. I will try to get It there though.

BigGreenMachine
04-03-2006, 11:29 PM
Now that is a different 500 convert, ATC500X I guess.

200x Basket
10-22-2006, 11:13 PM
so how is this project going? i am thinking about building one!!!

jason 32
10-23-2006, 06:31 PM
cool man with all the stuff you could do- poting ,cam, carb ,exhaust it could be a awsome machene!!!!

Derrick Adams
10-23-2006, 08:11 PM
This bike is back burnered for now guys. Too many customer projects going on right now. He has it mostly completed though. I've seen it in person and the engine is just massive! Pretty sanitary convertion too. Looks pretty much like a stock 350X.

I can tell you Hall's has some seriously custom stuff coming out of his shop this winter!