PDA

View Full Version : Help with 250R brake pad & rotor install

Cephus
03-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Help appreciated.

I have a 1986 250R, that I am trying to replace the worn rear brake pads and disc rotar. I ordered from "Dennis Kirk" OEM replacment Disc Rotar (actually from Moose) and Vesrah brake pads. After removing the old rotar, and brake pads from the brake calipar, I installed the new rotar. I pushed the brake pistons back into the calipar as far as they would allow and installed the new brake pads. This is where I ran into a problem.

When I tried to install the calipar onto the new rotar, they would not "align". I can force the calipar onto the rotar, but the outside pad is jammed into the new rotar, not allowing the axle to spin. Are the rotar or pads not correctly supplied or what is my problem? Need help with this.

I can take pictures and send in, if that would better explain my problem.
Thanks

ScottZJ
03-25-2006, 05:48 PM
I have experienced this many times with my 250r and 350x. The problem is with the new pads they are "generic" so to speak. Meaning they usually fit other models and they make them thicker to last longer. The problem is, just as you stated, they dont fit. This is the only way I figured it out to make it work. I usually use one old pad (make sure it still has pad left) and one new pad. I ride it like that for a ride or so. Then go back and see if you can get the other new pad in. It usually wears it down some after a couple rides and then you are able to install the new one.

Oh welcome to the board as I see you are a newbie!:welcome:

grundlegrabber
03-25-2006, 05:54 PM
Make sure your caliper slides are not siezed! The caliper "floats" back and forth on the mounting bracket. The slides have a tendency to sieze up over time if not lubed regularly. Unbolt the caliper and make sure it slides back and forth on the bracket.

jason85atc250r
03-25-2006, 10:36 PM
if that dont work you will have to buy a front caliper from a 98-05 yz dirt bike. i put one on my 86 trx250r. the holes that are threaded that mount it to the caliper bracket are only a 3/16th of a inch off. just egg the one out a little and it fits rtie on.

they are way cheaper + you dont have a 20 year old half shot caliper anymore.

the yz ones go for $10 to $20 dollars on ebay compred to aruond $75 fior a 250r one. i just won one from a 2002 yz250f for only $10.

Bryan Raffa
03-26-2006, 11:51 AM
ya I found that out on my z also I took a air grinder and took a little off each pad and rounded the edge where they slide, in it makes it easer to install, there usally a little tight for the first ride.

Cephus
03-26-2006, 01:14 PM
I am attaching pics of the mounted rear brake caliper without brake pads, but with new rotar installed. The "outside" clearance of the caliper is half the dimension that is of the clearance of the "inside".

FYI, I can install a new pad to the inside.

One of the pictures shows the old brake pad not fitting in the outside clearance.

Do I grind down the old pad for the outside? Is the rotar to thick?

X2guy
03-27-2006, 09:56 AM
Without the pads installed like in the pictures the caliper should slide from side to side. If you can not move the caliper to the right and increase the right side gap between the rotor and caliper your slider pins are seized in the caliper nad must be freed up.

grundlegrabber
03-27-2006, 07:56 PM
Yes, like I said, YOUR SLIDES ARE SIEZED. It will never work properly unless you free and lube the slides.