PDA

View Full Version : custom or stock? / tiger

erectordale
03-25-2006, 02:50 AM
I have some questions on these tigers I'm working on. I need rear shocks I have 3 but need rezzy's for 2 of them . I will need 2 more shocks for the other tigers. axles: I need 1 more 1 of the 500's has a custom made axle that I will leave on this machine as they added it for racing and I think it adds too the history of these awesome machines. what I want inpute on is go stock or modify with custom racing items like extended swing arm custom tires like hoosiers or try too go stock on all . I'm curious too hear everyones inpute

cliff2302
03-25-2006, 04:40 AM
Mod it, i'm sure even back in the day they weren't completely stock. No matter how much engineering a company does, there is still something that someone finds to be better. Tigers are race machines, and to this day, i have never seen a stock racer in any class, ATV or anything.

200x Basket
03-25-2006, 08:55 AM
well if you have several do one of each!! i think an original stocker would be worth more but when parts are super rare and missing you must improvise!!!!

jsimonh
03-25-2006, 11:05 AM
I would think one of the only things rarer than a Tiger, would be a modded old school racing Tiger. I say mod it!:beer

Somekindofjerk
03-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Go for the mod! Make that thing look as mean as you can!

erectordale
03-25-2006, 12:13 PM
Glad too see this was kinda what I was thinking

grundlegrabber
03-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Dale,
Usually if I get a bike that is mostly all stock and unmolested I will try to keep it that way. If I've got builders, building from scratch or bikes that have been cut up, parts missing, etc., I feel it's a good candidate for mods. I'd like to see one of your Tigers built with old-school style racing mods. Tiger seems like it was pretty much a machine built with racing parts anyway. Mod that sucker! Go with some douglas wheels and Hoosiers, they will look sweet on there. Extended swinger would compliment the bike nicely. Galfer stainless brake lines maybe? Keep us posted on your progress!

BigGreenMachine
03-25-2006, 01:36 PM
A port job? Am I right when I say the Tecate axles and carriers were used on these trikes? How about bolting on the 86/87 Tecate axle/carrier setup which is wider then the sotck 84/85 setup.

erectordale
03-25-2006, 01:55 PM
the tecate set up is close the axles are durablue old school the swingarm and carriers are very simaliar

hrc85250r
03-25-2006, 10:05 PM
dude, make it insane. do anything and everything you can. get the cylinders fully ported if they arent already and get custom pipes if you havent already, get a NEW huge carb for them, make them crazy wide and put 18's on them. get custom elka shocks. just deck them out. DO IT!

RideRed250R
03-25-2006, 10:30 PM
lol i love HRC... he makes me laugh.. in a good way, i would do it crazy like he states, i would try and graft some elka shock to the back... if i had 2 500's i would make a drag 500 and a mx one... the drag one would have all the goodies possible that you could do to the rotrax... the Mx would have a elka triple rate with ressie in the back, some nice restored forks, nice mx pipe and silencer... i dont know its liek buying a drag car from the 70's and saying ooo ill keep it just like they had it back then... well yah do the mods that make it , THAT period of time but i would do everything they could do...
Adam

thefox
03-25-2006, 11:13 PM
I say keep one stock and then the other customize in whatever way you want. Personally I would only do custom work that didn't damage factory parts though.