PDA

View Full Version : Pics: State of the Z (updated: 3/26)

Dammit!
03-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Felt like taking some pics. :lol:

Got some more plastic repro parts from Aussieduner today. Can't wait to get everything trimmed up and mounted. The number plate is actually for my 200x project. I have one with a white frame and black mesh coming for the Z although I'll probably have a black headlight on it most of the time. The black headlight is very used and needs some restoration but it should buff up nicely.

I originally bought black shrouds for the Z but I think white is going to look better. A lot better actually. The white parts look freakin' SWEET and I think will definitely look better for the shrouds. Black shrouds kind of get lost in the black of the engine so the white ones will really pop! The black airbox covers show some minor surface defects out in the sun but nothing major. Definitely better than what you'll find used by a mile. Nice high gloss finish on this stuff too. I like it a lot. :w00t:

The rear end is still apart because I had to take the axle/bearing carrier assembly to a shop about a month ago because everything was frozen together. I didn't notice it until a couple days ago but the shop damaged the threads on the axle where the main retention nuts go. I took it back and now I'm waiting to see what they can/will do about it. :mad:

Since I've gotten it I haven't been able to do too much yet but have big plans for the summer when it's too hot to ride here. I got all the two or three layers of spray paint off the plastics. Put a stock '86 R carb with a clamp-on Uni filter on it which fixed a problem I was having that a previous owner thought was an electrical issue. Runs pretty good now. I have a stainless steel bolt kit for it, a different headlight/kill switch and a few other odds and ends I've been collecting since I picked the trike up. New rear bearings but a lot of good that's doing me with a damaged axle. Tons of stuff left to do but the only major things before I can consider it a rider is check the water pump impeller and put a new chain on it.

This is what I started with. :eek:

http://webserver1.dancris.com/~dammit/tri-z/before.jpg

And this is a photoshop mock-up of what I'm going for (more or less). :naughty:

http://webserver1.dancris.com/~dammit/tri-z/wsz.jpg

And these are where I'm at right now. :lol:

Dammit!
03-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Couple more pics.

Hey MIK6, your Tecate parts are in that box behind my R. :lol: :beer

edog
03-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Looking good.

twgranger
03-22-2006, 10:51 PM
should look sweet all done in black and white.

Rm250RF900R
03-22-2006, 10:54 PM
Personally, I'd be happy with that Tri-Z with the way it is :lol:

Dammit!
03-22-2006, 11:19 PM
Personally, I'd be happy with that Tri-Z with the way it is :lol:

It's not in my genetic makeup to be happy with it that way. I really can't help myself. :lol:

You guys are gonna freak when the day comes that I post pics of the Z and the 200x completely done. :twisted:

Yamahauler
03-22-2006, 11:22 PM
That thing is going to look sweet. I'm doing something similar with my 86. all white plastic though black frame, and other stuff. Ive got too many projects going on :( they're all moving steady though. Good luck!

Darius1502
03-22-2006, 11:34 PM
Dammit...

Looking good man!! Nice Garage space you have.

I know you will finish it and it will be awesome....

'see it, believe it, and achieve it!'

chris200x
03-22-2006, 11:39 PM
looks like aussiedude does some nice work. I agree doug those white shrouds will look better. I cant wait to see her all finished up. feel free to post up some pics of that 200x project as well. That is the one I'm really anxious to see finished.

Kintore
03-22-2006, 11:40 PM
Lovin in dammit! Keep up the good work. Everybody knows I love a good Z :)

You have a sick R, cant wait to see the Z

RideRed250R
03-22-2006, 11:53 PM
iam glad you didnt bring that to glamis LOL... i could see y
Adam

IrvSLedman
03-23-2006, 12:41 AM
GAH leave it like it is.. gives er character.. at least thats what they say about my sleds.. lmao.

Ryan

Bryan Raffa
03-23-2006, 01:13 AM
I like the looks of the black and white keep it up!! gotta love the z!

Russell 350X
03-23-2006, 09:20 AM
Awsome project, can't wait to see it when its all done, looking good so far.

Russ

Dammit!
03-23-2006, 10:54 AM
feel free to post up some pics of that 200x project as well. That is the one I'm really anxious to see finished.

No visible progress there. I've just been collecting parts (lots of parts). The '85 frame I'm going to use for it is going to the powder coater sometime in the next couple months. That's when things will actually start happening with it. Kinda the same deal with the Z. Gotta get the frame done before I get serious with it. Hopefully I can find a good powder coater in Phoenix that will give me some kind of package deal.

diggerzmound
03-23-2006, 06:00 PM
That photoshop inspired me too.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid163/p87e4092dbcb4fbcea01c33bc83f66112/f48f155a.jpg

westcoast TRI-Z
03-23-2006, 06:09 PM
Hehee, the first photo where the Z is missing one light, looks like it's winking to the camera;) Looks good so far! I want to ride an 86 Z. Some day I will:beer

nouseforaname90
03-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Actually I thought it looked more like a scarred up old thing that was missing an eye.. lol.

Dammit!
03-23-2006, 06:26 PM
I always thought it looked like a pirate.

phreakboy
03-23-2006, 06:31 PM
The pirate look was exactly what I thought too, someday I will get time to get my restores going here.

Dammit!
03-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Well since I had it apart anyway I went ahead and painted the bearing carrier and skid plate. Hit it with a couple coats of gloss black and a couple coats of clear (both rattle can). Came out ok I guess but just makes the rest of the trike look worse in comparison. :lol:

Spotted something I didn't notice previously though. Check out the cracks in the swinger. D'oh! :mad: Is it common for them to crack right there?

slothminx
03-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Dammit, your swinger is really different from mine, I cant see yammie making the swingers weaker from 85 to 86, but it seems so.

(some loony painted mine gold):rolleyes:

chris200x
03-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Well since I had it apart anyway I went ahead and painted the bearing carrier and skid plate. Hit it with a couple coats of gloss black and a couple coats of clear (both rattle can). Came out ok I guess but just makes the rest of the trike look worse in comparison.

See this is how it starts.. I'm willing to bet you'll have that whole thing apart cleaning, repainting, and replacing everything on it. ;) This is the only way..

Dammit!
03-26-2006, 07:44 PM
See this is how it starts.. I'm willing to bet you'll have that whole thing apart cleaning, repainting, and replacing everything on it. ;) This is the only way..

That's been the plan all along. Only it won't be rattle can. Everything on that trike is getting powdercoated or polished when the time comes.

Bryan Raffa
03-26-2006, 10:47 PM
ones a 85 and the others a 86 sloth yours is a 85 dammit yours is a 86

chris200x
03-26-2006, 10:52 PM
That's been the plan all along. Only it won't be rattle can. Everything on that trike is getting powdercoated or polished when the time comes.

Doh! I guess if you weren't thinkin about it you wouldn't of posted a photoshoot of they way it will look. :confused::rolleyes: My old trike I was planning on just makin her a runner.. well one thing led to another to another to another.. lol. Before I knew it.. well.. you know.:naughty: :)

Bryan Raffa
03-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Doh! I guess if you weren't thinkin about it you wouldn't of posted a photoshoot of they way it will look. :confused::rolleyes: My old trike I was planning on just makin her a runner.. well one thing led to another to another to another.. lol. Before I knew it.. well.. you know.:naughty: :)

thats the way it goes I know all about it! LOL

Yamaha Tri-Moto
03-26-2006, 11:25 PM
That Z should look pretty sweet when its done. I like the black and white colors also. Cant wait to see it done.

Dammit!
03-26-2006, 11:30 PM
Question.

How tight should the axle nuts be? Should you just snug it up then tighten them against each other or crank the first one down against the sprocket hub real hard and then the other or what?

Bryan Raffa
03-26-2006, 11:42 PM
crank the first one down then crank the second one to lock it.

Dammit!
03-27-2006, 01:07 AM
crank the first one down then crank the second one to lock it.

Yeah but how hard? I have a bad habit of over tightening things.