PDA

View Full Version : how do i get my centrifical clutch out asap

donaldh
03-22-2006, 04:30 PM
need help getting my clutch out of my big red 250 how do i stop it from spinning when i'm trying to loosen of the nut off hoping i dont need a special tool or something trying to make it to the dealler with the part before it closes

tazzmann
03-22-2006, 04:33 PM
on my 185s I wedged a penny or two in the gears to stop it from turning. The copper is soft enough to not hurt the teeth.

donaldh
03-22-2006, 04:44 PM
tried that it still spins even when the gears r stopped

tazzmann
03-22-2006, 05:46 PM
That would be an issue. It should not spin when the gears are stopped.

donaldh
03-22-2006, 05:51 PM
that is my issue lol i have to get it out so i can replace the clutch sprag(one way clutch) which is in the centrifical clutch

tazzmann
03-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Sounds like you might have another issue if it is turning with the gears jammed. Is the whole cage turning or just the bolt and the bolt isn't coming out?

tazzmann
03-22-2006, 05:54 PM
ahhhh, never mind, I get it. use an oil filter wrench to hold onto the housing to get the bolt out.

bigredhead
03-22-2006, 06:07 PM
I use the " Sharp Blow " technique... lol.. get the socket on it nice and snug.. hold it steady and tap the lever swiftly.. not always successful.. but sometimes works.

An oil filter strap / leather belt could be used i guess...

or an impact gun.... but be careful with that one..

tazzmann
03-22-2006, 06:10 PM
yeah, not sure if that would work with the one-way sprag not grabbing, you might just end up with a flying socket! LOL

I have used the oil filter wrench technique with a friend of mines 3 wheeler a long time ago (I think it was late 80's) with great success.

donaldh
03-22-2006, 06:46 PM
i'm not sure on this but today when i was trying to get it out i think when i held the outside of the clutch the inside spun inside it so the oil filter wrench might not work but i will try it forsure to see

tazzmann
03-23-2006, 11:30 AM
hmmmmmm. Not sure how to solve that one, I would have to look at mine and see what suggestions I can make.

Yamahauler
03-23-2006, 12:01 PM
I always use an impact for clutch nuts. Put it on there, one quick blip gets it off all the time. For torquing the centrifical clutch, I jam a punch between one of the holes in the clutch body and the footpeg. This is on a YTM though, so its probably differant.
Whatever you do, dont use a chisel and a hammer, when I got my YTM, that is what they used, They didnt tighten the nuts up either when they were done, I spun them off with my hands!

tazzmann
03-23-2006, 12:59 PM
yeah, but with the one way cam gone, an impact wrench would only spin as well. I think he has a doosie of a problem.

MyMistress86R
03-23-2006, 01:11 PM
I'm not familiar with the internal setup up of the auto clutch vs. a manual clutch like in my R, but I had this same problem.

Does the auto clutch still have disks in it like the manuals? If so, my fix was to put all the disks back in the basket then apply inward pressure on the disk stack. Then a quick pop with the impact and the nut was free. The combination of the pressure on the disk stack kept the inner and outer baskets from turning independently from each and and the compression of the motor kept the whole thing from turning.

Not sure if this will help you out any, but if might give you other ideas too.

Todd

Yamahauler
03-23-2006, 04:26 PM
My bearings on my one way clutch were gone, just a quick blip with an impact will get it, I do it all the time. On the secondary clutch (the one with plates) the nut spins with the basket, I use an impact on that too and I dont even hold the basket with my hand.
The centrifical clutch (primary or one way clutch) has no plates in it btw

tazzmann
03-23-2006, 04:36 PM
good to know. Never tried that before. I have always been leary about impact wrenches on aluminum parts. But that is just me. :D

donaldh
03-23-2006, 06:30 PM
i dont have an impact wrench it would just be hassel for me to borrow a truck take the bike in town find someone with one and then have it not work i kinda think it will just spin but i might be wrong any suggestions would be great

donaldh
03-23-2006, 07:48 PM
it continues to spin when the gears are jammed up because the clutch sprag (one way clutch) is gone it is only supposed to spin one way but spins both now that it is gone

donaldh
03-23-2006, 08:42 PM
good thinking lol i'll have to try that with the 4 bolts tomorow