PDA

View Full Version : Rust inside tank

Threes company
03-22-2006, 02:25 AM
Just wondering if there is a way to treat rust inside of the tank. I seem to remember a product years ago that coated the inside walls, just can't remember what it was called. ?? Any other remedies that work? Thanks guys.

firefirefire90
03-22-2006, 02:33 AM
www.por15.com BEst stuff cleans the inside then coats it. I had to buy a new gas cap but that might just of been my fault. For 30 bucks for the tank re-new kit was one of the better investments i have made. Good luck!

Dammit!
03-22-2006, 03:07 AM
Two other products are Kreem and Red Kote. I don't like Kreem but Red Kote works really well. I've seen people mention taking the tank to a radiator shop. Supposedly they can remove the rust and coat it for around 30 bucks.

YTM200BOY
03-22-2006, 08:25 AM
maybe you can find a new tank on ebay try that or just get a "re-newal" kit for the tank as stated above. Good luck man

Solid Snake
03-22-2006, 09:21 AM
Here's a link for some red kote, I've used this stuff and bought it from this guy as well. Easy to use and works great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUEL-TANK-RELINER-USE-WITH-GAS-OR-DIESEL-QT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35574QQitemZ46108029 39QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Russell 350X
03-22-2006, 09:22 AM
Take some gas or diesel with some nuts and bolts and shake it around in the tank, that gets the rust out, and if it leaks you can solder it or braze it, has worked for me before. That Kreem stuff works good to.

smackkk
03-22-2006, 09:48 AM
I have a nice clarke or ims tank for a 185s and if you get a plastic tank there will be no more worries about a rusty tank. I can send ya a picture to you primary email address if intersted. I am asking $65.00 for it with $10.00 shipping. It retails around $250.00 in the catalog I have.....PM ME IF INTERSTED.

Howdy
03-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Here's a link for some red kote, I've used this stuff and bought it from this guy as well. Easy to use and works great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUEL-TANK-RELINER-USE-WITH-GAS-OR-DIESEL-QT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35574QQitemZ46108029 39QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I am with you 100% of the way here. I originally tried Red-Kote after Jeswinehart prodded me a little. I took my worst tank I had ( multiple leaks, major rust, and more ), and I followed the directions on the can. I did cheat on the holes though. I simply taped over them. I put the sealant into the tank, spun the tank in all directions to coat the inside. I then drained the rest out. About 2 hours later I repeated this step. I let it sit for 2 days to dry ( the can says 24 hours ) It was really easy, and it was fairly quick. Once dry, I removed the tape and filled the tank up with gas. This was about 6 months ago and the tank hasn't dripped a drop. I haven't gotten ANY crap in the carb since then either. It worked perfectly!!

Howdy

Threes company
03-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Sounds good guys, thanks for all the links........ most of the tank seems shiney towards the bottom, but towards the top its well rusted. Most likely from sitting around for years with half a tank of fuel. Thanks for the offer of the plastic tank Smakk..... I will try to fix this one before going that route. Plus I love the look of these old ATC tanks.....

smackkk
03-22-2006, 10:49 AM
good deal man.... good luck.!

bigredhead
03-22-2006, 10:50 AM
I just had one done by the local rad shop.. it was BAD.... and they hot dipped it.. coated it with an industrial liner, and re-painted the outside for me.. total damages 75 $ canadian.. but she's better than new and i did not cost me 10 $ in gas to flush it out.. or maky any mess in my garage...

Red Cote in canada is like chicken teeth....

topoortorideon4
03-22-2006, 10:57 AM
my friend took stones that would not get stuck and put them into the tank and shook the hell out of it but get jagged ones and make sure you get them all out

bigredhead
03-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Don't use rocks.. they break apart and leave grit.....

Go with nuts and bolts or washers.... anything but rocks..

tazzmann
03-22-2006, 11:05 AM
I have used 50% naval jelly, 50% water and an old cam chain with good success. Just remember to dry it really well in the inside and coat with WD40 to prevent flash rusting. Also don't get any naval jelly on the outside of the tank unless you wanted to repaint anyway. :)