PDA

View Full Version : Need multimeter help for coil!

Yamahauler
03-20-2006, 11:36 PM
The manual says to set the multimeter R X 1. What would this be on my multimeter? 2000k, 200k, 20k, 2000, or 200?

Also, how can you check the condenser?

crx-si
03-20-2006, 11:41 PM
Its just a multiplaction factor Rx1 the 200 should do. The condensor is basically a capacitor do you have a capacitance meter.

Yamahauler
03-21-2006, 12:21 AM
Ok, I tested thhe coil, the resistance between the spark plug wire and any wire (even the body of the coil) read nothing. I tested this on all OHM settings. I took off the plug wire, checked the resistance from end to end. There is 0.4 OHMs on the 200 setting. The other settings wont make a reading. So, does this mean the plug wire is screwed?

Also, I checked the continuity of the spark plug cap, there is NO continuity through that.......

Guess I should of checked these things for myself, i had took it to a small engine guy and he said my coil was perfect...HA

TeamGeek6
03-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Ok, I tested thhe coil, the resistance between the spark plug wire and any wire (even the body of the coil) read nothing. I tested this on all OHM settings. I took off the plug wire, checked the resistance from end to end. There is 0.4 OHMs on the 200 setting. The other settings wont make a reading. So, does this mean the plug wire is screwed?

Also, I checked the continuity of the spark plug cap, there is NO continuity through that.......

The spark plug wire has to read something, its usually 5,000 - 10,000 ohms. If not, its open. Make sure the meter probes are making good contact. The spark plug cap might read 5000 ohms if a resistor cap.

The plug wire reading of 0.4 ohm is the resitance of the meter and its leads, not the plug wire.