PDA

View Full Version : sled pulling experience?

bigred1
03-20-2006, 10:22 PM
I'm in omaha nebraska and just got a bit of a snow storm, I'm curious if anyone here has exp pulling a sled behind a 3 wheeler (like what kind would work best)? I have a 200e with dual range tranny and my friend is bringing her kids over wednesday and I think it would be fun for them, thanks.

crackshot
03-20-2006, 10:48 PM
Oh hell ya. I am the man on that one!
I use 20 feet of good nylon 5/8 rope. I use on of those black thick ass plastic utility sleds that look like a tub. They work the best.
I can fit 2 to 3 kids in that and take off. Works great in hard pack.
I also put a few folded up moving blankets in there so it gives them a little more cushion.
Powder you will have to blaze the trail first to pack it and then get kids in sled. You have to keep RPM's up and please be careful use plenty of rope length.
The trike will stop when you hit the brakes and kids will keep going and ram the rear of trike.
Teach them kids to bail out too if it gets too hairball!
Have fun!

bigred1
03-20-2006, 10:58 PM
sounds like it will work thanks for the advice oh yea don't wory the kids safety will be of the utmost importance and I'm sure they'll have a blast maybe I'll get some pics or footage I'll post again if I do!

Bryan Raffa
03-20-2006, 10:59 PM
big tube if you can find one plastic sleds work good but you cant wip them in circles!! fun fun fun

Yamahauler
03-20-2006, 11:03 PM
we made a sled to pull behind the 3 wheeler, it was made for one person, had two 2x4 skis, a backrest and two handles. We used it in the summer and pulled each other through a dried up pond, you had to see how long you could stay on, we had a really long rope and cut sharp turns around the cat tails.
Ive also been on GT's behind the 3 wheeler in the snow and its fun as hell.

DeePa
03-20-2006, 11:04 PM
ive done this many time before. To avoid the kids hitting the back of the trike, just make a turn then stop, and theyll go off to the side of you. I used to have my friend in the sled, and start doing donuts. The weight of the person and sled will pull the back end of the trike around, and if you get it going fast enough, its crazy. Just keep the tires spinning and let the sled pull the ass end of the bike around, and keep gunning it and youll pick up speed and do faster donuts. The faster donuts, the harder it is to stay on the sled...its really crazy

85hondaatc125m
03-20-2006, 11:40 PM
I pull the GT(a sled with 3 skis, steering wheel, and breaks) behind my 125 in low range and it is alot of fun the GT is good because it has brakes and steering, bad thing, only has 1 seat, then in summer you hook the ol wagon up ta her. fun fun.

Vealmonkey
03-21-2006, 12:06 AM
Maybe have the kids wear those foam bicycle helmets just in case.

Dammit!
03-21-2006, 12:19 AM
Innertube from a tractor. Winner by far.

Frankencelery
03-21-2006, 12:21 AM
Yeah, we just started getting the storm Bigred1 got here in Winterset, Iowa. My son went to be 5 minutes before it started, but I'm sure I'll hear it in the morning about how we need to pull him on his sled with the 3-wheeler. Wish I could skip work! We haven't had hardly any snow here all winter.

Frankencelery
03-21-2006, 01:23 PM
That last post was supposed to read "went to bed 5 minutes before the storm started". Anyway, I was right, and on the way to daycare this morning he was deciding what trike we were going to ride tonight and do donuts on the road. He hadn't even thought of the sled till I brought it up, then his eyes lit up. I'm looking forward to it as much as him. We haven't had hardly any snow this year, and I usually like a couple good snows to play in every year. I'll try to take some pics, but it'll probably be dark.

Billy Golightly
03-21-2006, 05:10 PM
half a sheet of plywood with some ropes to hang onto is what we use to drag behind the ATC110's and Big reds before we graduated(:lol:) to pickup trucks and old carhoods.

nouseforaname90
03-21-2006, 05:16 PM
We use a heavy-duty Rubbermaid sled. They work great and are very durable. We also pulled it around with my dads Big Red 200E/ES (as well as my 250SX) so you shouldn't have a problem. And actually, what we do is put about a 8-10 foot section of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe over the rope so that it keeps the sled about that far away from the trike and there is no risk of the sled coming forward into the back of the trike if you stop suddenly.
And not to mention.. ITS A BLAST!

nouseforaname90
03-21-2006, 08:35 PM
http://s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/100_0525-20060321193127.jpg (http://s2.supload.com/free/100_0525-20060321193127.jpg/view/)

Theres the little contraption I was talking about. The end with the loop is what we tie the sled string to, and the "S" hook gets hooked into/onto the hitch.

Frankencelery
03-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Well, my 4 year old and I went out and did some sledding tonight. We had a little more snow than I thought because the 185s kept getting stuck, and it's the one with the best tires! Once we made a track in the front yard it was pretty cool! He held on pretty good, and I only managed to dump him once...accidentally, of course! :naughty: