PDA

View Full Version : 250 Praire

Bender
03-20-2006, 01:13 PM
I never seen this thing before but my friend just got it and the starter dont work and there aint a back up kick or pull cord! We pulled down the road with the big red to pop start it, when i would dump the clutch it dident do anything. the tires would spin but it didnt sound like the motor was turning over. i tried it in every gear could the clutch be slipping? I dont know what to do with this trike. I dont know anything about the electrical. why wouldnt kawasaki put a backup kick or pull cord on it? how stupid!

Lomax
03-20-2006, 01:18 PM
MY KLT160 Kawasaki will not push start for some reason either, we got tired of pulling on the rope one night and decided to drag it around the yard behind the quad and it would just "freewheel". Its not a manual clutch either.

darrel632
03-20-2006, 01:35 PM
If you haven't already cleaned all the electrical connections between the battery and starter, check the fuse, make sure the kill switch isn't on, key is on and working, battery fully charged. If this doesn't work;
Pull the starter, bench test it to see if it works, if its dead you need to spend about 150.00 for a new one (Ebay), or find a decent used one from a board member. I don't know what Kawi did to their system but pull starting on a dead battery doesn't work, if you can't crank it, it probably isn't going to go. The lack of kick starting was/is the big weakness on the KLT series, beautiful trikes, wthout a back up starting system.

82300R
03-20-2006, 01:52 PM
i ran into a guy one day with a klt 250 in his truck. we were talking about it .he said that he picked it up for 100.00 bucks not running. he said that he ordered a new starter and changed the battery and got it running. he also said that it would not start with a dead battery(push start). i offered him 600.00 bucks for it but he tured me down. i can't blame him i would not have sold it either. it was in pretty good shape. you don't see them like that to often. love the leading link front end.

Bender
03-20-2006, 05:04 PM
We charged the battery and tried it but when you hit start button it just clicks once and thats it so i will test the starter and see if its good or not.

darrel632
03-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Before you pull it hook a battery charger to the main power wire on the starter and ground to the frame ground in front of the right rear wheel then hit the start button this might "wakeup" the starter if it was parked out side for a long time

Bender
03-20-2006, 05:22 PM
which ones the main one?

darrel632
03-20-2006, 05:34 PM
yep, the only one that goes from the battery to the starter, about 10G wire, it attaches to the front top of the starter I believe.

Bender
03-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Are these trikes fast? Cause i was suprised about the manual clutch cause it looks like a utility trike with big balloon tires and a rack. How does it campare to a 200x?

darrel632
03-21-2006, 01:45 PM
they run at about 50 mph max depending on tires, terrain etc. you'll have people claim anything from 40 to 65, 50 is realistic