PDA

View Full Version : How do you have a sled engine drive a rear sprocket?

RangerRick
03-19-2006, 12:39 AM
Hi everybody.To start off I am new here and I am considering taking on a custom project since I probally cant afford or find a tri z,tecate or 250r.My project I am thinking is taking a ATC200S and fitting a fan cooled sled engine on it.I have been told that running a air cooled engine in the summer really has no consiquences and I have seen a 503 on a summer gocart.I have a 340 yamaha single carb engine but I can also get my hands on a arctic cougar 500 engine for next to nothing.The 340 is missing a couple parts so I am leaning towards the 500 plus it is sure to be faster.The only thing is I would either have to find another or repair the current case on the 500.I probally wouldent consider doing much jumping with this solidly connected axle beast.

Anyways the question I have now is how do people connect the snowmobiles engine to the sprocket drive?I have heard there is a type of clutch you can get that has a sprocket on it.Is that available?Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Ron

Bryan Raffa
03-19-2006, 01:02 AM
use a tranny like a polaris.

Tri-ZNate
03-19-2006, 01:04 AM
I wish i could think who it is, but someone has done this conversion by putting a 440 in a 250r. I'm sure they will chime in.

nouseforaname90
03-19-2006, 01:07 AM
A 500cc engine in a 200S hardtail frame? Wow.. thats.. erm.. going to be amazing.. lol. I'd be scared to ride the damn thing.

Bryan Raffa
03-19-2006, 01:09 AM
it is called a jack shaft set up.

john
good call! I didnt think of that! that would be better for the size issue,being a lot smaller than a tranny!

RideRed250R
03-19-2006, 01:38 AM
well iam goign to coem right out and say it.... the conversion will probably cost more... as nothn is cheap when you wanna go fast... the frame wont handle the power without major guesets, it begin a solid axle.... you will be a point and shoot rider... the jack shaft works sorta like a torque converter on a go cart .... at a certain rpm it will kick in and engage.... so lets say you go up a hill in some woods... and you let off the gas and get back on it... most likely the belt will wear really fast in this condition.... they go hella fast tho when you drag race them.... plan on extending the trike... +6 inches to fit the motor in.... then move everything forward to keep it lookin good... then extending the rear anothe +6.... it would defently be a oldschool drag racer... fun of course... but you should just save for a R.... and dude R's and Z's are like california's growing immagration rates... THEIR ALL OVER
Adam

Jason Hall
03-19-2006, 09:46 AM
RangerRick,

I built a snowmobile powered 250-R. I ran a sprocket off the shaft that turns the secondary clutch. There Is no need for a gearbox. Really there Is no room on a three wheeled chassis for a gear box. You will have to experament with sprocket sizes In order to make the clutch shift rite. I spent alot of money on sprockets. I bought about 6 different sizes & had to have them machined to fit.

RideRed250R Is right about the cost, There Is alot of time & money Involved, because there Is alot of custon work that needs to be done to make a project like this work.

3leggeddog
03-19-2006, 11:51 AM
RangerRick,

I built a snowmobile powered 250-R. I ran a sprocket off the shaft that turns the secondary clutch. There Is no need for a gearbox. Really there Is no room on a three wheeled chassis for a gear box. You will have to experament with sprocket sizes In order to make the clutch shift rite. I spent alot of money on sprockets. I bought about 6 different sizes & had to have them machined to fit.

RideRed250R Is right about the cost, There Is alot of time & money Involved, because there Is alot of custon work that needs to be done to make a project like this work.

uhhh,jason,wheres the brakes buddy!!!!!!!!!:crazy: ;) :beer