PDA

View Full Version : ATC nerf bars?? - moved from open

wolfguy
03-15-2006, 12:09 AM
Just wanted to throw this out but would anybody want or have any use for nerf bars for ATC"s??? If so what kind of bike do you have and would you rather aluminum or steel. I've seen nerf bars on some old racing pictures, just wantd to see what you guys had to say:Bounce . Thanks.

wanta86r
03-15-2006, 12:15 AM
I'd buy some aluminum ones! Nothing too big and gaudy though.

200xcellent
03-15-2006, 12:19 AM
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=47259&highlight=nerf+bars

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=48560&highlight=nerf+bars

Meat-BoX
03-15-2006, 01:14 AM
I have Plans for nerf bars for my Tecate and 200x I just need a shop. Allso double wide pegs with kickups, and SkidPlates. But I need a damn garage or shop. Its killing me.:eek:
I think with nerf bars and double wide kickup pegs you could really get aggresive.
A guy I know took 250R Quad Nerfs and he cut and welded them and they look great and they work. They come out a little less than the Tires and are Perfect.

Nerfs are a great idea:w00t:

Jason Hall
03-15-2006, 11:07 AM
Here are some pic's of the ones I built for my R & the wider ones I made for Derrick's R.

Tri-ZNate
03-15-2006, 12:16 PM
I'll be using the steel brush guards for the SX and Big red for mine. They look like nerfs and are already setup to fit the machine. Just ned to weld some tabs in to string up the netting.

250r'en +TCB
03-15-2006, 04:13 PM
I personally don't see why you would ever put nerf bars on an ATC...... Just learn to ride it and keep your feet on the pegs!!! If the racers in the 80's could do it so can you.....
That being said if I WAS going to get them I'd definatly go aluminum and try and get some of the trianguler ones....

SWIGIN
03-15-2006, 04:20 PM
I personally don't see why you would ever put nerf bars on an ATC...... Just learn to ride it and keep your feet on the pegs!!! If the racers in the 80's could do it so can you.....
That being said if I WAS going to get them I'd definatly go aluminum and try and get some of the trianguler ones....

um.......i dont think you understand what nerf bars are realy for....they are ment to keep other racers tires from hitting your feet pluss they keep other guys from fliping you by sticking there tires right in front of your rear tire ( like indy car)

200xcellent
03-15-2006, 04:25 PM
um.......i dont think you understand what nerf bars are realy for....they are ment to keep other racers tires from hitting your feet pluss they keep other guys from fliping you by sticking there tires right in front of your rear tire ( like indy car)

AMEN SWIGIN! Sometimes it takes real world experience to find the true meaning of things. 3legged, the one with the blue nerfs, just doesnt like to see the nerfs when he is riding so he is taking them off.

250r'en +TCB
03-15-2006, 04:39 PM
That AND for saving you if your feet come off the pegs. Like i said, the racers in the 80's did it without them..... You especialy don't need them if your racing other ATC's or bikes!

200xcellent
03-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Dude, have you ever ridden with nerf bars? In a race setting? My feet have never ever once come in contact with my nerf bars, ever. But, other quads have rammed them at least 4-5 times (got marks to prove it). The only reason for the nets is to keep your feet from getting caught under the nerfs/pegs.

SWIGIN
03-15-2006, 04:46 PM
That AND for saving you if your feet come off the pegs. Like i said, the racers in the 80's did it without them..... You especialy don't need them if your racing other ATC's or bikes!

sure they help you if you are falling off or something but thats not the real reason they are sold...heck in one race i cliped a huge double and my body was on the nerf...in that case it kepped ME from running over myself ...its just a safty thing that you NEED to have to race or the track wont let you race

im not buying the fact that in the 80s they didnt use them so we dont need them now.....cars didnt have seat belts in the old days do we need them???

250r'en +TCB
03-15-2006, 04:48 PM
yeah i have them on my 300ex, and I've raced scrambles and stuff with them. Racing with 5-10 other people.
Like I said twice now, you act like you would never race without them, but the racers in the 80's did....

SWIGIN
03-15-2006, 04:51 PM
i remember the 80s how about you?...they had nerfs they just didnt make racers use them like they do now

200xcellent
03-15-2006, 04:53 PM
Ok to avoid a pissing match between two civilized people, I do see YOUR point. But at the same time, were nerf bars even thought of in the 80's during ATC races? Maybe they didnt use them because they didnt know of them?

And SWIGIN answered my questions :welcome:

SWIGIN
03-15-2006, 05:05 PM
lol..nothing but love here.........and thanks for the welcome

250r'en +TCB
03-15-2006, 05:34 PM
Ok to avoid a pissing match between two civilized people, I do see YOUR point. But at the same time, were nerf bars even thought of in the 80's during ATC races? Maybe they didnt use them because they didnt know of them?

And SWIGIN answered my questions :welcome:
Yeah I agree, I don't won't to fight about something we will obvioyusly never come to an agreement on. And yes they had made nerf bars in the 80's when trikes were around.....

cragster
03-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Im getting brand new raptor 350 nerfs for my 200x! For 70 bucks. Its my friend westons nerfs. His fat brother jumped on them and bent them a little on the corner...lol

chris200x
03-15-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm gettin educated here... I always though they were to prevent running over your legs. But if they have them "nerf thingy's" for the yamahauler , big red, and sx... who the heck raced those? Or maybe I'm wrong here.. But I just don't see a quad running up on your legs unless your facing the opposite direction.

250r'en +TCB
03-15-2006, 05:58 PM
hahaha your leg slips from the peg and goes behind the nerfs and goes under the tire...... Thats why they have the more expensive ones with the gaurd in the back....

SWIGIN
03-15-2006, 06:07 PM
I'm gettin educated here... I always though they were to prevent running over your legs. But if they have them "nerf thingy's" for the yamahauler , big red, and sx... who the heck raced those? Or maybe I'm wrong here.. But I just don't see a quad running up on your legs unless your facing the opposite direction.

any pics of these nerfs...i never seen them for a big red

chris200x
03-15-2006, 06:48 PM
any pics of these nerfs...i never seen them for a big red

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=49512

SWIGIN
03-15-2006, 07:59 PM
yeah ok i remeber those...they were called brush guards back then.

atc nerfs were more of a tri angle

Jason Hall
03-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Well I guess I will only add a couple little things. I remember watching one of the 350 MX heat races at haspin last year. Somone was trying to cut to the out side of the guy In front of him. His left rear tire rolled up on the other trikes right rear tire & flipped him off his ride so fast, He though he was back In the 80's. I recall Derrick Adams saying he hit Flyin Brians nerf & the nerf slid the bike instead of the tire climbing up Into the foot peg area. If you get some tight racing going on nerfs are pretty handy units.

3leggeddog
03-15-2006, 09:43 PM
well i am trying to fix the links.

anyway,i did not like mine.the bike felt wide,and i feared casing the jump,and them diggin in and pitching the trike sideways,rolling it.

200xcellent
03-15-2006, 11:40 PM
Well I guess I will only add a couple little things. I remember watching one of the 350 MX heat races at haspin last year. Somone was trying to cut to the out side of the guy In front of him. His left rear tire rolled up on the other trikes right rear tire & flipped him off his ride so fast, He though he was back In the 80's. I recall Derrick Adams saying he hit Flyin Brians nerf & the nerf slid the bike instead of the tire climbing up Into the foot peg area. If you get some tight racing going on nerfs are pretty handy units.

I also believe that Brian ran into Tim Sr. with one of his nerfs. It almost pushed one of his triangular style nerfs into his tire. I think that would be the only downside to the triangular nerfs. That sorta pointed edge makes it seem easier to puncture the tire if the nerf is hit hard enough.

Jason Hall
03-16-2006, 06:35 AM
200exellent, I know what you are talking about & wanted to angle the front corner on Derricks. But I allready had them built. The ones I built for myself are alot narrower In the front, because I thought about that when I built mine to run the flat track at Gallion. I shortened up my shifter a little to give more room for my foot. I don't have huge feet like Derrick Ha Ha.

Mike_Ham_250R
03-16-2006, 08:18 AM
BTW Jason, how much are you charging for nerfs?

Jason Hall
03-16-2006, 08:26 AM
It cost's about 40.00 for a 12' piece of the aluminum, plus the angle & flat stock. I don't use the entire 12', but I bet ya I use 10' of It anyway. I figure about 100.00 Is a real fair price for an aluminum set. There Is some time Involved once the welding Is done to give them a decent finish.

Banage
03-16-2006, 09:10 AM
i thought nerf bars had netting on them. Hugh. Anyway i would be interested in one or the other, my big red lost hers last year, and now i ride with just pegs.

3leggeddog
03-16-2006, 08:42 PM
well most nerfs do have nets,but nobody saud they had to have nets.besides they are nerf bars,not nerf nets!